Got an ink you'd like to see reviewed? Request it here.

southpaw

Kuretake

Jyako Purple

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Mew

• Chrissy

• AndyYNWA

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dromgoole's 2018 Dallas Pen Show release.

I can do a CRV with you because I have it loaded up right now.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I know it is going to be a big ask but, is it possible to list ink reviews in a colour band? If I am looking for a brown ink I would prefer to be able to open a board here that has the heading brown inks and then go through the brand names and reviews until I find what I want. Having the reviews listed by Brand name makes it a long and arduous task trying to track down a specific colour preference.

Am I asking too much? :)

I can do a CRV with you because I have it loaded up right now.

Somehow I missed this. Could you please post a link? Thanks

Edited by Octo

• 2 weeks later...

Two simple methods to answer your question:

1. Go to the Ink Reviews thread and perform a search using "brown" as your search term.

2. Look at the very bottom of an Amberlea post where you will see, "Check out inks sorted by color:" and click on the term, "Brown".

Clifton

Edited by amberleadavis
Removed comments to hidden posts

If you look in my signature line, we have several threads sorted by color. We have asked FPNers to post up by color.

If you look in my signature line, we have several threads sorted by color. We have asked FPNers to post up by color.

Thank you so much for this. I didn't know that you had already started sorting inks this way and it will help me a lot.

Thanks again, for an answer in the true spirit of FPN!

That's a new feature to me as well. The "grunt work" that helps one, helps lots of others too. Or would, if I didn't have the habit of buying first and reading reviews later.

The "grunt work" that helps one, helps lots of others too.

I fully understand the value of a good information service/system, having spent my career designing and building them for large corporations. My issue is, especially with 'first world' consumers, is the frequently observed and utterly terrible lack of willingness to contribute to the cost of implementing and maintaining that kind of thing which benefits them. If user #123 isn't actively and significantly contributing to either the information content, and/or the efforts in implementing, operating and maintaining the system or platform, then what are they propose to offer at their expense as a shared community effort, other than praise, 'likes' and expressions of, "it will make my life so much easier"?

In my opinion as a consumer, as a community member and as an individual, the starting point ought to be, "I have a problem, and I have limitations that does not allow me to solve the problem on my own. Which solution would allow me to leverage the access, resources, skills and 'time' I don't have but my fellow community members and peers have, and trade it for what I do have, such that objectively it's a zero-sum game for me (because it'll cost me all the same) but allow me to achieve more than if that trade wasn't possible?" and not, "How can I get others to give me what I'd like or what would help me, at no expense to myself so that it's an outright 'win' for me even though it costs someone else?"

Or would, if I didn't have the habit of buying first and reading reviews later.

I try to read reviews first, then order whole bottles of what I want to try, and then form a proper opinion of whether I like something I bought enough not to get rid of it (in spite of having paid for it).

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Not for all - posts have been hidden.

Please keep comments to those that are positive and helpful. I know that I have personally asked a lot of silly questions (am I crazy?) or questions that have asked again and again (what is the best ink to replace BSB?) and I appreciate that others have been patient with me.

The color threads seemed silly to the peeps who only use blue and black ink. :) . So in the words of Monty Python,

https://youtu.be/2NS7Gkv4NNA?t=38

Meanwhile, it would be very helpful if you would all add pictures to the color threads.

Does anyone have Noodler's Luck of the Draw and Boston Mueller? I see that they are for sale at Federalist pens. Of course, I don't actually need any ink.

• 3 months later...

I wonder if we could get Diamine to send someone samples of all their colors (standard+music+flowers+special releases for various shops etc) to have a newer version of those wonderful Diamine ink sample pages by color that cybaea made in 2013?

I feel completely overwhelmed when choosing between Diamine inks and those swatches they have on their homepage... well those are kind of off... and instead of swatches I would like to see the same format cybaea used - a line of written text all with the same nib width.

I wonder if we could get Diamine to send someone samples of all their colors (standard+music+flowers+special releases for various shops etc) to have a newer version of those wonderful Diamine ink sample pages by color that cybaea made in 2013?

I feel completely overwhelmed when choosing between Diamine inks and those swatches they have on their homepage... well those are kind of off... and instead of swatches I would like to see the same format cybaea used - a line of written text all with the same nib width.

Note: my emphasis

I cannot help but wonder (and question) whether the objective in your decision-making is too ambitious, and would require too much support from other parties (such as Diamine, ink reviewers, and so on).

Perhaps instead of trying to get the subjectively best-looking N Diamine inks (overall, or in some particular category or subset such as green inks) among what has been produced, you could limit the scope of your search to the best-looking N out of 2N or 3N inks in that category on which you can easily get the relevant information, "eyes wide open" knowing full well that is only seeking "local optima" without having full visibility of the entire landscape — because full visibility, even if possible, would come at a cost.

I don't think it makes sense for Diamine to provide a single third party (outside of its head office) with all the samples to include shop-exclusive and region-exclusive inks, even in this day and age of global online ordering and 'easy' international shipping. Goulet Pens in the US, for example, cannot sell Diamine Jalur Gemilang (a Malaysian region-exclusive) to its customers, and Pure Pens in the UK cannot sell Diamine Iridescink Robert (a Cult Pens UK shop-exclusive), even though Diamine's distributors and authorised retailers are first in line to get a 'complete' set of ink samples.

Then there's the issue of, who's going to do the work? If Diamine is prepared to send you 200+ ink samples, on the proviso that you will produce a review and/or set of writing samples for each and every one of them in an agreed manner, would you commit and be held accountable to Diamine and the fountain pen user community at large for that task?

Or, to make it even easier on you (and anyone else in your shoes), let's pretend a particular fountain pen enthusiast is prepared to put their hand up to receive the 200+ ink samples, with a commitment to produce and publish reviews within (say) nine months — averaging one ink per month, with some days off — in an agreed format (showing writing with more/other than your preferred nib or line width) that Diamine thinks will help sell its inks. Then what? 200+ ink reviews can also be overwhelming.

Even 200+ writing samples in different inks with a particular pen/nib, handed to you in an unsorted and uncategorised fashion (so greens don't get grouped together and neither do blues) on a very long scroll of a digital image, can be overwhelming if you're looking for the best N Diamine green inks on which you could possibly get your hands by online ordering. Taking a digital image showing 'all' or multiple writing samples, cutting them up in an graphics application program, and reorganising the pieces by categories from which you want to make the 'best-N' selection is not a trivial task.

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Liis, if you look in my signature line, I have a link to the ink a day project. You can see images of inks on the first page. Here is a sample.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/302185-2016-an-ink-a-day-or-30-inks-per-month-at-least/page-1

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016-Ink/03-March/slides/2016-03-28_11.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hmm. After following some discussion on the Lamy forum, I wonder if anyone might be able to give a thorough review of Lamy Blue, Black, and Blue Black. And if you're a particularly brave or just masochistic soul, maybe even Green. XD

They're not exactly new or groundbreaking inks, but there's rumours of them having possibly changed the formula of the inks on us secretly. There are reports of Black and Blue Black being much more saturated and intense than before, and I personally have seen some of the same happening on Lamy Blue, even to the point of seeing some red sheen on certain papers. So if anyone with an experienced hand at reviewing wants to take a stab at the potentially "new" old Lamy inks, or perhaps even compare them to the "old" reviews of Lamy inks, that would be much appreciated. :)

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

Would love to see a review of the new Montblanc Petrol Blue.

There are more things in heaven and earth, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

• 1 month later...

Can someone review and compare Diamine Aurora Borealis with Eau De Nil and possibly Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku?

I'd love to see any English-language reviews of Leonardo brand inks, any colour. :-)

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

• 3 months later...

Would love a review of Diamine Monboddo's Hat if anyone has it!

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

- Lois McMaster Bujold