Pilot Knight

pvdiamon

I did a search for Pilot Knight and nothing came up in this forum. Does anyone know much about this pen?

John in NC

The passion not to be fooled and not to fool anybody else..two searching questions of positivism: what do you mean? How do you know? (Bertrand Russell, Dominant Passion of The True Scientist)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Apollo

• KendallJ

• pvdiamon

• Larry T

There's a review of the pen in Stylophile's June/July issue HERE.

I haven't seen one up close, but from the pics I've seen and what I've read about it, the Pilot Knight looks like a nice affordable pen for everyday use.

Edited by Apollo
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

Thanks, just what I was looking for!!

John in NC

The passion not to be fooled and not to fool anybody else..two searching questions of positivism: what do you mean? How do you know? (Bertrand Russell, Dominant Passion of The True Scientist)

Looks like a real workhorse, Apollo. :)

Bet that press bar aerometric filler converter will fit the Namiki VP, also. It's probably the same aerometric filler converter that some have mentioned as being available for the VP in addition to the twist converter furnished with the VP.

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

I bought a Pilot Knight from Pam a few weeks ago. Very solidly made and a good writer. The nib is marked M but writes more like a fine. Mine is very smooth with a nice medium ink flow. Hard to beat for under $35.

I think Namiki - Pilot probably has some of the best nibs on the market. I have several in gold and they are wonderful. I don't have any in steel though, but would expect good things.

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

Is the Knight M nib writing about as "thick" or thin as the VP M nib?

John in NC

Is the Knight M nib writing about as "thick" or thin as the VP M nib?

yes. I would expect that.

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

Yes, I have both(VP and Knight) with medium nibs. They look the same on paper. My Mandarin VP is a little smoother, but I think the Knight is more comfortable in my hand. Both are good pens.

Larry, how's the converter on the Knight? Do you have any pics?

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

The convertor on the Knight is an aerometric type. The top half of the sack is open except for a pressure bar that runs over the top. Not at all like the screw type on the VP. I have been an avid ameteur photographer for over thirty years, but I have never posted a picture on one of these boards . I plan on fixing that soon. I'll post one here soon. I hope.

Larry

I ordered one from Pam today and asked if there was a piston option for convertors. My falcon also had an aerometric, and frankly I didn't care for it - too little capacity, and no breather tube so what you could get out of one pump was all you were going to get.

She tried the VP piston convertor in the Knight and said it didn't fit. Sooooo, I ordered some carts to go with it.

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

Knight arrived (next day as usual ;)) I am impressed with the pen. very good value. Smooth nib, albeit not as smooth as their gold ones. I'll work on it with mylar and see if I can up the quality. The texture is nice and grippy. The blue is a dusy midnight blue. My faaaav. Convertor... eh.... Got 2 boxes of carts. Solid feel and weight, but not too heavy.

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

I'm very impressed with it too. I picked up a navy coloured Pilot Knight today. It's a superb pen for the money. I can't help but to compare it to my Lamy Studio (fine nib). The Knight is a little shorter and less expensive, but I would place it in the same class. The Knight's steel nib is a little stiff, but fantastic. It puts down a sweet smooth line every time. They're only available in medium nibs, but like most Japanese FP's, they run closer to fine. It's hard to believe a pen like this can be bought for under $40 bucks.

• 4 months later...

Bringing back an older thread...

I was in one of the local office supply stores here in the Seattle area, (Office Depot,) when I noticed that they were now carrying the Pilot Knight. Hmm...I didn't really NEED another pen, but I'd been very curious to see what the Knight was like. It was priced at less than $40, so it took me all of about 45 seconds to decided that this little guy was coming home with me. :D

Like the other posters here, I'm pretty impressed! The pen is similar in size and feel to my Parker Sonnet. It has a VERY smooth medium steel nib, which puts down a relatively narrow line. If anything the line is a slight bit narrower than the medium gold nib on my new VP. (Perhaps due to the stiffer tines on the steel nib?)

I took a few quick photos last night. It isn't a fancy pen, by any means, but you'd be hard pressed to find a better writer, especially at that price. :D

TMann

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b143/TRM2005/Pilot_Knight_1.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b143/TRM2005/Pilot_Knight_2.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b143/TRM2005/PIlot_Knight_3.jpg

Hi TMann,

Congrats on your new writing instrument :D.Maybe you can post a writing sample too?

Take Care and enjoy new pen!!!

Emrecan

Greetings from İstanbul

the pen is in my avatar is LAMY Studio Palladium 14K

I think that is a very nice looking pen. That brushed metal look is classy! Wish my Office Depot carried more than 3 FPs...

*Note to self: Move out of the sticks! :bonk:

"By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher. "

- Socrates

Tmann-

Which Office Depot did you go to find that? Congrats on the pen!

Geaux Tigers! Visça el Barça!

WTB: MB Kafka, Lamy Safari 2009 Orange, Pilot MYU (Black or Clear/White Stripe), Seiko FrankenTuna SKZ253 / SKZ255