New Pilot Decimo Arrived with Scratchy Nib -- HELP!

Clive Merrick Morel

Col wrote:

Not a Decimo, but I have problems using a fine nib in my VP. I too find it scratchy. At the moment though, I'm more inclined to try to adapt my writing technique to it than immediately assume it's a manufacturing defect. I have an idea they require an extremely delicate touch, and good quality paper. I'm persevering with it for the time being, even though I have a number of other VP nibs I can use.

Col,

Thanks a lot for your input. You're having problems with a VP Fine nib, as well? Hmmm . . . Makes we wonder just how many others are experiencing the same thing with theirs?!??

BTW - How long have you been writing with your VP Fine nib? (Maybe these things really do require a "breaking-in" period.) If the nibs truly are this delicate, perhaps its best to send it to Richard Binder, forthwith (for calibrating), and be done with it. Subsequent to Mr. Binder's tuning, should it end up being "not so fine" (pun intended), it will most certainly be a much better writing instrument than when it arrived!

Then again . . . :eureka:

If, after all is said and done, the nib STILL refuses to 'act accordingly' . . . I'll give it the old "Detroit Tune-Up." (run over the damned thing multiple times - with my car's left-rear tire! :yikes: )

Take care, Col - and I trust you're enjoying what's left of the weekend. :thumbup:

Best Regards,

-Clive

-Clive Merrick Morel

. Please do not send PMs...E-mail me: clivemmorel@earthlink.net

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Clive Merrick Morel

• Taki

• girlieg33k

• Keng

Clive, I heard back from them. They will exchange the pen if you believe something is wrong with the it. They asked that you send back the whole pen, including the box and the converter.

I'm sorry they did not reply to your e-mail promptly. This may be just another excuse, but Mr. and Mrs. Yamada are in their late 60's or early 70's. I believe that generation did not receive adequate English education because of the WWII. But majority of the people who received post-war education do not speak English very well, either. Despite 10 years of English education in Japan I really could not speak it until I lived in the U.S. for a year or two.

Edited by Taki

Not a Decimo, but I have problems using a fine nib in my VP. I too find it scratchy. At the moment though, I'm more inclined to try to adapt my writing technique to it than immediately assume it's a manufacturing defect. I have an idea they require an extremely delicate touch, and good quality paper. I'm persevering with it for the time being, even though I have a number of other VP nibs I can use.

I have 2 Decimos and 1 VP. The VP has a Mottishaw'd cursive italic nib. I found the VP was too large for me, so I bought a Decimo with a bold nib and just swapped the nibs around. I opted for the bold nib because I planned to have it reground to a smaller cursive italic by Richard Binder. In the mean time, I purchased another Decimo -- this time with a medium nib, and have had no problems with it. I had been considering another Decimo with a fine nib. Instead I opted to get the Sesenta LE -- same styling as the Decimo -- from Richard. I just ordered it this weekend (before I saw this thread). Now I'm curious how the fine nib on the Sesenta LE will compare to the Decimo fine nib. I'm guessing they probably use the same nib unit?

Clive -- sorry to hear about your experience with the fine nib on your Decimo. I second the recommendation of ordering a fine nib from Richard that you can use while you wait for a replacement nib from Ujuku. I'll report back on my experience with the Sesenta LE with a fine nib.

Talking about fountain pens is like dancing about architecture.

I'm sorry they did not reply to your e-mail promptly. This may be just another excuse, but Mr. and Mrs. Yamada are in their late 60's or early 70's. I believe that generation did not receive adequate English education because of the WWII. But majority of the people who received post-war education do not speak English very well, either.

Since quite a few people on FPN order from Ujuku, I wonder if it'd help if someone could translate some common phrases (in the fountain pen world) into Japanese in romaji. Then it'll be slightly easier for the Yamadas to understand the issues reported to them.

For example, people frequently report these types of issues with their pens:

• nib is scratchy
  • the pen is a "dry" writer
  • the tines are misaligned
  • nib is too fine/wide
  • the pen leaks ink

And since we shouldn't always be negative:

• the pen writes like a dream! :)
-Mike Edited by michael_s

Here you go :) Note when you cut and paste Japanese phrases you have to make e-mail's encoding to Japanse unless you are using web-based e-mail.

For example, people frequently report these types of issues with their pens:
  • nib is scratchy pen saki ga nameraka de nai (ペン先が滑らかでない)
  • the pen is a "dry" writer inku no de ga warui (インクの出が悪い) or inku fro ga yokunai (インクフローが良くない)
  • the tines are misaligned pen pointo ga sorotte inai (ペンポイントが揃っていない)
  • nib is too fine/wide pen saki ga hoso-/futo- sugiru (ペン先が細/太すぎる)
  • the pen leaks ink inku ga moreru (インクが漏れる)
And since we shouldn't always be negative:
  • the pen writes like a dream! :) Kono pen ha yume no you na kaki-gokochi ga shimasu. (このペンは夢のような書き心地がします^_^)
-Mike

But I think they have more difficulties expressing their thoughts than understanding what's written in English.

Edited by Taki

This was mentioned in passing in a post, but I wanted to say that my two Décimos from Ujuku are fine, but on some paper they do sometimes make noise when I'm writing but they are definitely not scratchy. The sound is almost like when you run a wet finger around the rim of a crystal glass. Not quite that, but I can't think of any other way to describe it. I think I've seen it called 'singing' in some posts.

Also, when I received my first Décimo from them the converter had been left out, so when I bought my second Décimo from them and mentioned that, they kindly apologized for the oversight and included a second converter in the pen shipment.

And, as others have mentioned, the nib units from Richard Binder fit the Décimos as well as the regular VPs. I bought a F from him when I wanted to switch out the second M I'd ordered.

Edited by Tricia

"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

Clive, I heard back from them. They will exchange the pen if you believe something is wrong with the it. They asked that you send back the whole pen, including the box and the converter.

Taki,

You're assistance has been a Godsend, for which I am truly grateful. It's people like you that make FPN such a great place to visit (er, incorporate into one's lifestyle :) ).

In other words, THANK YOU, Taki!!! :thumbup:

Looks like I can't send just the scratchy nib (alone) back to Mr. and Mrs. Yamada, but must send the entire shipment, which is perfectly understandable. The Japan Ujuku Shop may not have individual Decimo nibs in stock (or for sale, for that matter).

I'm still not 100% sure whether to send the Decimo back for exchange, or go the Richard Binder route, which would entail the purchase of another nib; then subsequently sending him my present 'scratchy' one - plus the shipping costs entailed (one way) for both transactions.

The truth be told, it's 2:05 AM and my otherwise dull mind is very tired (and 'foggier' than usual.) It's sometimes difficult to concentrate after a full day's (and night's) caregiving ordeal. [See my original post here for explanation.]

I'll e-mail Mr. Yamada and request that he grant me the "O.K." to return/exchange the Decimo. Yes, I've already done this . . . but, due to the recent information you and others have provided, I realize he may have experienced difficulties when translating English to Japanese.

I think it's time to hit the sack. Once I've had a decent night's sleep, I can properly respond to the other kind folks' posts in this thread.

Please know how grateful I am for everyone's contribution.

Taki -- It's been a pleasure. Again, thank you for all your very much appreciated help.

Respectfully,

-Clive

-Clive Merrick Morel

Clive, just a quick clarification. Yes, they asked to send back the whole pen, box and the converter.

In Japan Pilot does not sell any parts even to dealers, and it's impossible to buy just nibs. Apparently they have a different policy in the U.S.

Clive, just a quick clarification. Yes, they asked to send back the whole pen, box and the converter.

In Japan Pilot does not sell any parts even to dealers, and it's impossible to buy just nibs. Apparently they have a different policy in the U.S.

Taki,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to help me!

Having had a decent night's sleep, I can actually think more clearly now (though not too clearly, given my sub-30 IQ :D ).

Please tell Mr. and Mrs. Yamada thank you - and extend them my sincerest best wishes. I will not be sending my pearl white Decimo back to them for exchange (they can rest easy now... :thumbup: ). After listening to what you and several others have said regarding Richard Binder's services, it just makes better sense to purchase a nib from him that's been tuned and tested, and, like he says in his ads, "write's write." Shipping the pen back to Japan - then hoping the new nib 'works' - is a bad risk, in my estimation. So . . . I sent an e-mail to Richard Binder earlier today, followed by a telephone call, later this afternoon.

Richard Binder will be shipping a 'tuned' Pilot VP 18-carat Fine nib to me this Wednesday, and it should arrive at my home by Friday or Saturday. The price of the nib is $25 (plus $6 shipping), for a very reasonable total cost of $31. Not too darned bad when you think about it.

Hope you're doing well.

Very Best Regards,

-Clive

-Clive Merrick Morel

Taki,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to help me!

Having had a decent night's sleep, I can actually think more clearly now (though not too clearly, given my sub-30 IQ :D ).

Please tell Mr. and Mrs. Yamada thank you - and extend them my sincerest best wishes. I will not be sending my pearl white Decimo back to them for exchange (they can rest easy now... :thumbup: ). After listening to what you and several others have said regarding Richard Binder's services, it just makes better sense to purchase a nib from him that's been tuned and tested, and, like he says in his ads, "write's write." Shipping the pen back to Japan - then hoping the new nib 'works' - is a bad risk, in my estimation. So . . . I sent an e-mail to Richard Binder earlier today, followed by a telephone call, later this afternoon.

Richard Binder will be shipping a 'tuned' Pilot VP 18-carat Fine nib to me this Wednesday, and it should arrive at my home by Friday or Saturday. The price of the nib is $25 (plus $6 shipping), for a very reasonable total cost of $31. Not too darned bad when you think about it.

Hope you're doing well.

Very Best Regards,

-Clive

Clive, I personally think you made a very good choice. That way you are guaranteed to get a nib that writes wonderfully. I will relay your message to Yamadas.

Clive, I personally think you made a very good choice. That way you are guaranteed to get a nib that writes wonderfully. I will relay your message to Yamadas.

Taki -- Again, thank you so very much. :thumbup:

-Clive

-Clive Merrick Morel

There's a moral here somewhere - problems that seem intractable late at night often disappear in the morning light. I'm glad you made a decision you're happy with, Clive.

Col

There's a moral here somewhere - problems that seem intractable late at night often disappear in the morning light. I'm glad you made a decision you're happy with, Clive.

You couldn't have worded it any more accurately, Col! :thumbup:

Thank you for the good thoughts.

-Clive

-Clive Merrick Morel

Here you go :) Note when you cut and paste Japanese phrases you have to make e-mail's encoding to Japanse unless you are using web-based e-mail.

(snip)

Thanks Taki!

-Mike

This was mentioned in passing in a post, but I wanted to say that my two Décimos from Ujuku are fine, but on some paper they do sometimes make noise when I'm writing but they are definitely not scratchy. The sound is almost like when you run a wet finger around the rim of a crystal glass. Not quite that, but I can't think of any other way to describe it. I think I've seen it called 'singing' in some posts.

Also, when I received my first Décimo from them the converter had been left out, so when I bought my second Décimo from them and mentioned that, they kindly apologized for the oversight and included a second converter in the pen shipment.

And, as others have mentioned, the nib units from Richard Binder fit the Décimos as well as the regular VPs. I bought a F from him when I wanted to switch out the second M I'd ordered.

Tricia,

Interesting trivia surrounding your two VPs from Ujuku. Did Mr. Yamada charge extra for "singing" Décimos? :ltcapd: (I couldn't help myself.......sorry.)

BTW -- I'm happy to hear that Ujuku provided you the second (missing) converter for your first Décimo.

Having had a few days to test-drive my Décimo, it's become abundantly clear why so many folks have opted to purchase VPs: they're immaculately constructed, easy on the eyes (as in beautiful) and, IMHO, unique - by virtue of their retractable nib feature. :thumbup: I can't wait to use the Richard Binder fine-tuned nib that'll be here soon!!!!!!

Thank you for your response, Tricia. Hope to read more about your Décimos in the future.

-Clive

-Clive Merrick Morel

I have 2 Decimos and 1 VP. The VP has a Mottishaw'd cursive italic nib. I found the VP was too large for me, so I bought a Decimo with a bold nib and just swapped the nibs around. I opted for the bold nib because I planned to have it reground to a smaller cursive italic by Richard Binder. In the mean time, I purchased another Decimo -- this time with a medium nib, and have had no problems with it. I had been considering another Decimo with a fine nib. Instead I opted to get the Sesenta LE -- same styling as the Decimo -- from Richard. I just ordered it this weekend (before I saw this thread). Now I'm curious how the fine nib on the Sesenta LE will compare to the Decimo fine nib. I'm guessing they probably use the same nib unit?

Clive -- sorry to hear about your experience with the fine nib on your Decimo. I second the recommendation of ordering a fine nib from Richard that you can use while you wait for a replacement nib from Ujuku. I'll report back on my experience with the Sesenta LE with a fine nib.

Hi girlieq33k,

First off -- THANK you for providing such a detailed response. It's plain to see that you really enjoy your VPs. :lol:

Wow! A Sesenta LE, huh? What an absolutely gorgeous/classy fountain pen!!! I've had my eye on that one, as well. Please do let us know all about it when you get a moment or two (or 1,000 :thumbup: ).

As you may have read in one of my earlier posts today, I ordered a Binder-ized, 18-carat Fine nib for my Décimo . . . and I'm really looking forward to the writing experience, once I've installed it.

Thanks again for your comments and suggestions. :happyberet:

Take care.

-Clive

-Clive Merrick Morel

Girlieg33k,

I have 4 VP and 1 Sesenta; the nibs are the same except that the Sesenta comes the 18K rodium plated (fine only) nib.I also have nibs units of F,M, B sizes(the F,M from Richard Binder).

If you get your VP nibs from Mr Binder, he will adjust the fine for better flow, ie will write slightly wider than the original F nib.

The Sesenta is a beautiful pen. I assure you it looks better than the photo (with due respect to Richard's photography skills). Enjoy !!!!

Mike

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money.

- Cree Indian Proverb

If you get your VP nibs from Mr Binder, he will adjust the fine for better flow, ie will write slightly wider than the original F nib.

Mike

Mike,

Your comment piqued my curiosity, as I recently ordered (hasn't arrived yet) an F nib for my Decimo from Richard Binder. When you say 'slightly wider' - it's still nowhere near the width of a VP M nib, right?

-Clive

-Clive Merrick Morel

I'm not Mike, but I have an F nib unit from Richard. Don't worry, it's not even close to M :) It is just a little wider than regular F . That's what I was saying in an earlier post that Richard's F nibs are true F.