Platinum

tntaylor

Does anyone know anything about "Platinum Pen Co." pens?

Only I've got one heading my way and I'm wondering what it will be like.

Yeah, I know...Ask the questions before the auction ends...

This looks to be one of the more bog standard of their pens. No 18k white gold nib. *sigh* But an interesting "texture" to it, methinks.

Any heads up would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping this will be my "redit" pen.

t!

(image "borrowed" from auction site)

post-4-1125465212_thumb.jpg

Edited by tntaylor

flippin' like a pancake

poppin' like a cork

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tntaylor

• TheNobleSavage

• KendallJ

• southpaw

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I don't know this one, but I've got two Platinum FPs, and a couple of cheapie multi-pens -- two colours of BP and an MP. All seem to me to be excellent at their price.

My prize Platinum is the Koi Fish in startling red and cream material -- they call it celluloid, but I don't know if it's cellulose nitrate or cellulose acetate. It's made from a wrapped sheet (rather than turned from a solid block), which means there's a visible seam. This is a lower cost, but traditional, way of using celluloid. The nib is a Japanese fine, which means extra-fine in Atlantic terms. It is superbly smooth. I've used it a lot for editing, which means it's been filled with red ink, which tends to be fairly evil. I've had outstandingly good performance from the pen, even though its usage patterns mean it's been left a long time between drinks.

My general impression is that Platinum aren't at the peak of the Japanese pen industry, but they make really good pens, nonetheless. Hope you enjoy yours.

Michael

I had a platinum armor pen. Great nib. Really great nib. It was the smoothest XF nib I have had. Sold it cuz I am moving to MED and the XF was just too small.

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

Don't have a Platinum pen yet, but can we expect a review of one soon?

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

I had a platinum armor pen. Great nib. Really great nib. It was the smoothest XF nib I have had...

What type of nib was it? 14k or 18k? I'm hoping to find out if the unmarked nibs (gold-plated, I think they are) are up to ... snuff (I was about to say "up to scratch" there, but I thought that inappropriate - lol!). I know, I know I could just wait and find out first hand when I receive the pen, because that's the only way to really know, but I'm impatient!

Don't have a Platinum pen yet, but can we expect a review of one soon?

I may try to turn my hand to writing up a review. But be forewarned, I am FAR from au fait with the finer details of fountain pens. Any review I might offer up will most likely be very light on facts.

t!

Edited by tntaylor

flippin' like a pancake

poppin' like a cork

T,

Still a newbie here, so no problem. We all start somewhere, and I think folks take that into consideration when reading reviews.

Eagerly awaiting the review,

southpaw

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Greetings. I own 2 modern Platinum Fountain Pens, Purple Passion and a Blue Celluloid, both with 18kt gold nibs. These pens are just outstanding as far as quality and materials. This is an intereresting looking pen, I have to admit. To be quite honest, I believe that the nib is GP but I could be wrong. The GP nibs are very smooth and well made. I used a few of my Dad's GP steel nib pens and I was really shocked by how well they write. I am sure you will enjoy your pen, please let us know how it works out for you!!!

TNS

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

My prize Platinum is the Koi Fish in startling red and cream material -- they call it celluloid, but I don't know if it's cellulose nitrate or cellulose acetate. It's made from a wrapped sheet (rather than turned from a solid block), which means there's a visible seam

and

My general impression is that Platinum aren't at the peak of the Japanese pen industry, but they make really good pens, nonetheless. Hope you enjoy yours.

Michael

I do not think they have made cellulose nitrate pens in a very long time. They are very flammable and extremely sensitive to heat. I have the blue and white celluloid Platinum in the same line as the Koi. I only wish I had the Koi!!! What an unique looking design and I believe that Nakaya has a very classy nib that goes along with the Platinum Koi pen if you chose to spend a few extra dollars!!

As far a Platinum Pen company ratings versus other Japanese pen companies. I would rate them as a Sheaffer. The pens are solid and so are the performance of the nibs. Yes there are some fancy Maki Platinum pens, but I consider Platinum to be the blue collar of the japanese pens. They are just as good as the more expensive cousins but most are just not as exotic or fancy as the pockey jewelery of Dani Trio, Namiki and Nakaya.

Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites

Fountain Pen Reviews

Ink Reviews

Oh, that just reminded me.

The nibmeisters at Nakaya are all ex-Platinum pen employees. I belive the companies are owned by the same family or something like that.

K -

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

Guest Denis Richard
Oh, that just reminded me.

The nibmeisters at Nakaya are all ex-Platinum pen employees. I belive the companies are owned by the same family or something like that.

K -

Indeed. Toshiya Nakata, the director/founder of Nakaya is the grand-son of Platinum Pens' founder, and also the vice-president of Platinum, the president being his father. Nakaya was the original name of Platinum. It was constructed from the family name "Nakata" and "-ya" which means shop.

For more : Toshiya Nakata's Profile on FPN

Denis.

Hi,

I have an unidentified Platinum pen. Quite a good writer.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

I have an unidentified Platinum pen. Quite a good writer.

Can you scan us a picture? Love to see it...

t!

flippin' like a pancake

poppin' like a cork

I have one of these pens. Nothing fancy but a very solid performer. They don't use the standard Platinum cartridge, but a standard short cartridge will work. There is only room for one cartidge and there will be empty space behind it - I've never had a problem with leakage, but you can always craft a filler to fill the space.

The nib is an very nice Japanese F/US EF. I use mine mostly for writing annotations on papers. YMMV.

One unexpected find - I think the feed may be ebonite.

I hope you enjoy.

Tom McG.

Hi,

Here is a picture.

Dillon

Edited by Dillo

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon