Mohawk Superfine 28lb, Soft White, Eggshell finish

Guest Denis Richard

Guest Denis Richard

I recently found the best paper I have encountered so far. After extensive swatchbooks and other trial packages sampling, I rest my choice on the Superfine line from Mohawk Paper Mills.

The test writing I have done shows virtually no feathering. The paper is available in Smooth or in Eggshell finish (both uncoated). The Eggshell is my personal preference, as I tend now to avoid ultra-smooth papers, but for smooth lovers, that's as smooth as it gets.

Available colours are Ultra White, White and Soft White. Ultra White is... very white :rolleyes: , white is a very light off-white, and Soft White is a full cream. From what I read, the Superfine Soft White was developed for Yale University Press.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• southpaw

• Roger

• Dillo

• tntaylor

Guest Denis Richard

Roger,

I ordered it through paper.com. I'm sure I could have special ordered it in a local paper store, but I figured I'd pay the shipping rather than hunt it locally.

I recommend that you request free swatch books at http://www.mohawkpaper.com . They have quite a selection. It's a big mill (my stomach ! :D). I thing they bought Strathmore recently.

Roger,

I ordered it through paper.com. I'm sure I could have special ordered it in a local paper store, but I figured I'd pay the shipping rather than hunt it locally.

I recommend that you request free swatch books at http://www.mohawkpaper.com . They have quite a selection. It's a big mill (my stomach ! :D). I thing they bought Strathmore recently.

Thanks,

I ordered swatch books and will take a gander at paper.com.

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

Guest Denis Richard
Denis, how did you first come across Mohawk papers?

t!

Hi t!,

I search the web for all the paper mills I could find, to see what they had, and if they would send samples.

Denis.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Denis Richard

I know of several damoiseaux and damoiselle who requested Mohawk samples... :D Did you get to try them ? Any impression ?

I requested samples ages ago and haven't received anything, yet. I'd kind of forgotten about that. Where the heck are my samples? Might have to put through another request...

t!

flippin' like a pancake

poppin' like a cork

I know of several damoiseaux and damoiselle who requested Mohawk samples... :D Did you get to try them ? Any impression ?

The swatch book samples that I ordered arrived about a week ago. I had forgotten about them.

It does look very nice, Denis, but I sure don't see it anywhere around, so I guess it'll have to be an internet vendor for me, also.

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

Denis, I received my samples about a week after I sent for them. I like the paper, but I can't find any locally. I'll have to get some online.

Larry

Hi,

I asked for samples yesterday and got them today. I actually like a few of the coated papers. These coated papers accept fountain pen ink nicely.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

I got a variety of the Mohawk papers and did some testing. Most of them did very well with regards to feathers and bleed through. I was concerned with drying times being a lefty. I'll try to remember to post the results later when I have more time. Some were actually quite quick compared to others. Times ranged from 15 seconds to over 90 seconds with the same pen and ink!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Guest Denis Richard
I got a variety of the Mohawk papers and did some testing. Most of them did very well with regards to feathers and bleed through. I was concerned with drying times being a lefty. I'll try to remember to post the results later when I have more time. Some were actually quite quick compared to others. Times ranged from 15 seconds to over 90 seconds with the same pen and ink!

The Superfine line dry extremely fast for me. I think I wrote that they are uncoated, but I'm not sure if I'm not mistaking with their Navajo line (who's only fault is to come only in pure white...). I'll check my pamphlets tonight.

To my rather inexperienced eye, all of these papers did well on feathering. The heavier weight papers on average did better than the lighter ones with regards to bleed-through.

Here are the drying time test results using my Old Style Visconti Van Gogh, wet fine nib, Noodlers Red-Black (haven't done Navajo yet):

Vellum Text:

Warm White 80 Medium - est 45 sec (hadn't started timing yet - duh!)

Cream White 100 Slow - est 60 sec or more

White Fiber 28lb/70 Slow

Crea Fiber 24lb/60 Slow

Options Text:

Crystal White Smooth 80 Medium

Crystal White Vellum 70 30 sec (WM Blue-Black in wet medium Sheherade 7 sec)

Marble White Smooth 80 21 sec (7 sec)

Marble White Smooth 80 15 sec (5 sec) Fastest of all (tie)

True White 96 Vellum 100 30 sec (10 sec)

True White 96 Smooth 28 >60 sec (8 sec)

Warm White Smooth 80 15 sec (5 sec) Fastest of all (tie)

Warm White Smooth 70 39 sec

Bright White Smooth 100 18 sec 2nd Fastest

Bright White Smooth 80 29 sec

PC Cool White Smooth 70 34 sec

PC White Smooth 100 58 sec

PC White Smooth 28lb 44 sec

Superfine Text

Ultrawhite Smooth 80 > 90 sec

Ultrawhite Eggshell 100 72 sec

White Eggshell 24lb/60 >90 sec

White Smooth 28w/70 60 sec

White Eggshell 100 > 90 sec

White Recycled Smooth 28lb/70 60 sec

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Guest Denis Richard

O boy... is that a fire-hose you're using ? Just tested the Softwhite Eggshell 28lb. in my office, with my .6 mm stub on my Novecento (you didn't think that was going to remain an M nib did ya ?), with Nooder's Antietam and I get... 5s. :blink:

Edited by Denis Richard

Hi,

That is a fire hose pen.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

O boy... is that a fire-hose you're using ? Just tested the Softwhite Eggshell 28lb. in my office, with my .6 mm stub on my Novecento (you didn't think that was going to remain an M nib did ya ?), with Nooder's Antietam and I get... 5s. :blink:

First, it is wet, but not what I would call "a fire hose."

Second, for whatever reason, Noodlers Red-Black seems to be slow drying compared to most of their other inks in my experience. I considered the ink dry when it no longer had any sheen under bright light.

Third, regardless of differences in ink, pens, nibs, etc., since I used the same pen, nib, and ink, the tests should show relative differences.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Guest Denis Richard

Second, for whatever reason, Noodlers Red-Black seems to be slow drying compared to most of their other inks in my experience. I considered the ink dry when it no longer had any sheen under bright light.

Third, regardless of differences in ink, pens, nibs, etc., since I used the same pen, nib, and ink, the tests should show relative differences.

I use the same criterion. Do you plan to do the tests with Noodler's Black ? (What do you mean you have a life and a family ??? :lol:)

I use the same criterion. Do you plan to do the tests with Noodler's Black ? (What do you mean you have a life and a family ??? :lol:)

Nope. Test stands as is, other than trying the Navajo when time permits.