DaniTrio Wakasa-nuri

alvarez57

INTRODUCTION

I've been watching Japanese pens for a long time. Initially the Tamenuri Urushi got me. I love maki-e

but most are built in huge pens and in astronomical prices.So my attention diverted to the Urushi lacquering, which, being less expensive was no less beautiful. I got the Tamenuri and as a good addict, once the initial desire was satisfied, I WANTED ANOTHER ONE! I am really thankful that I could purchase this one and the timing was excellent because it is the

Last of the Mohicans!

My thanks to Dr. Kevin Cheng who "went out on a limb" so I could choose the correct size and could have the feel of the pen, his personal style and the considerations for FPN'ers :thumbup: .

There is a former review of this pen, by Bryan, which has some added elements that make it look different.

PRESENTATION

I will personally stay away from the grading tendency for every pen I review I find either a 5/5 or 4/5 :hmm1: and this is very subjective! Most of all, I'm not a pen expert! The wood box is very simple and very elegant in lacquered mirror-shiny black with the logo in gold on the lower left.

http://inlinethumb53.webshots.com/8628/2953539880101882882S600x600Q85.jpg

I even like the detail of the hinges in the box, which are brass (?). The interior is made of a soft light gray felp which is very sensual to the touch. This is already an art piece.

http://inlinethumb62.webshots.com/7165/2988077550101882882S600x600Q85.jpg

THE MATERIAL, THE PEN

http://inlinethumb43.webshots.com/7594/2564839520101882882S600x600Q85.jpg

The material is the Wakasa-nuri technique on very lightweight ebonite.

From DaniTrio:

THE FORMOSANS > WAKASA-NURI

In Fukui prefecture of Japan, Wakasa-nuri employs additional materials such as very fine size eggshells, seashells or pine leaves. The Urushi is then applied onto the surface of the objects, as are gold flakes. The surface is then burnished.

http://inlinethumb39.webshots.com/8486/2883933680101882882S600x600Q85.jpg

Then:

We all know that Urushi is harder than rock. Metal can melted in aqua regia (royal water), but it can not melt Urushi away, because the Urushi is protected by its membrane. And yet, Urushi has a very serious weak point. Urushi can last thousands of years under the roof, but not under the sun. The membrane will eventually tarnish by weathering, losing its luster and becoming like chalk, and we call it "chalking". Japanese think that Urushi is a living thing. Urushi is grown by its mother trees, by help from the sun, the earth and the water, and then oxidized by an enzyme called "laccase" which hardens it. But then, the hardened Urushi will decrease its weight under ultraviolet rays and be gone with the wind. They think it is just another example of the circle of life.

The lacquering is very smooth, still the texture of the organic materials used can be palpated. The reflection of the pen varies depending on the light source whether direct, indirect or dim, giving off many brownish-copperish undertones. A difference from the initial model is the addition of abalone accents and that the pen is less reddish and more burned to a brown.

http://inlinethumb36.webshots.com/8035/2965049420101882882S600x600Q85.jpg

MODEL/SIZE

Being "The last of the Mohicans" the Takumi was the only model I could get. This proved to be an advantage for me for the Mikado was gargantuesque and there was no Densho (later we found out there was NONE but the Takumi). With a clip? I don't mind because it's not the size of Nakata's Long Cigar which is impossible to clip on a pocket, not even in a lab coat!

The clip is gold-plated (?k) with the logo brushed along it.

http://inlinethumb20.webshots.com/6739/2657655830101882882S600x600Q85.jpg

NIB

It is an 18k double-toned ( :wub: ) Flexible Fine. It is still in its break-in period so I do not know yet if this will turn out like the "elastic" Nakata nib. It is big but well-proportioned with the rest of the pen. There are some kanji (?) characters. If any of you know what they mean, please POST! It is true the characters are right were I grip the pen, but that doesn't bother me (as opposed to a clip!).

http://inlinethumb23.webshots.com/7574/2003673360101882882S600x600Q85.jpg

It is silky smooth and has flex and a balanced wet line. This IS a quick starter!

http://inlinethumb39.webshots.com/8998/2889519740101882882S600x600Q85.jpg

FILLING SYSTEM

NOT a Densho nor a Mikado, therefore it is C/C. Kevin sent me a Mikado to try and the ED system did not much impress me . I was not in the mood to try to fill (and mess) a pen that was not mine even if it was sent to be tried (I'm too afraid of ruining somebody else's property!), so the c/c was ok with me. After all, I already spent a small fortune on the Nakata Long Cigar that could have well been an ED for the size AND price..... :angry: . Besides, again, this was the last of its kind, so.... :mellow:

CONCLUSION

I like it very much and I'm finding somewhat disappointing that SOME European counterparts are not producing pens that have the quality the Japanese pens are showing in general ( though my Montegrappas have worked ok and the celluloid is beautiful). Please, this is a very subjective opinion!!! :blush:

The pen is unique in its art, VERY organic :cloud9: and a true pleasure to look at.

Thank you!

http://inlinethumb06.webshots.com/9861/2287304210101882882S600x600Q85.jpg

Overall, I find this pen very well made (ok, not an ED), a good writer from the get-go (Kevin tried it before hand)

Edited by MYU

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alvarez57

• winedoc

• Phthalo

• obmike

i was looking for this exact pen. i sent an email to kevin some time ago looking for this finish on a takumi. he said he would have to check and i never heard from him again. probably for the best.

beautiful pen.

Sonia: Very good review - I am glad you are so pleased with your Wakasa-nuri!

The nib and grip-section are quite striking, and regarding the nib, I think I have read that it will soften a little further over time... ? Sounds nice!

Can you perhaps show a quick size comparison of this Takumi pen with a few others? (Including your little Omas Dama? ;)

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

Dear Laura:

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I found I enjoy writing reviews too! Regarding the comparisons, here they are:

This one is "Takumi eats Dama" :blink:

http://inlinethumb26.webshots.com/7129/2091069250101882882S600x600Q85.jpg

and this one is "Cigar Long eats Takumi" :roflmho:

http://inlinethumb08.webshots.com/8199/2932170910101882882S600x600Q85.jpg

Take a notice how the pattern looks so different when light (in this case aperture) changes. This is what I love about this pen.

Edited by alvarez57

sonia alvarez

Geez... that is getting up there, size-wise. I'm trying to imagine if I would feel ridiculous writing my tiny writing with such a big pen. ;)

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

Geez... that is getting up there, size-wise. I'm trying to imagine if I would feel ridiculous writing my tiny writing with such a big pen. ;)

Well, I tend to write big and I have a wide palm in spite of my short, fat fingers. The Mikado looked as if I was writing with a bottle of wine!! :roflmho:

If your hands are small, this pen definately IS NOT for you. It is a shame that Nakata nor Namiki do not have the Wakasa-nuri. According to DaniTrio, the artisans that make it are from Formosa and it is very difficult and expensive for them to get the materials.

The popular Wakasa-nuri is performed by Minchi, the brothers. Taiwan has to import high quality Urushi from Japan because they lack of facilities to refine crude Urushi into different quality of Urushi for different usages, and it is even harder for them to buy the different sizes of gold and gold mixed with silver powders as they have to import 100% from Japan. And the hardest of all is buying] the special brushes from Japan. All these disadvantages cost them in Taiwan 2-3 times as much as the Maki-e artists have to pay in Japan. And yet, that their work is very good and prices are not higher than that in Japan convinces me that they have their own bright future if they continue to work hard.

sonia alvarez

Ooh pretty!

...was what I said before I looked at the price. It seems that lacquer is in. I think I have a lacquered pen coming in too, although it's not as elaborate. Thanks for the review!

Oh, and 賢民 (xian2 min2) is the artist's name. One can tell he's Formosan by the way he romanises it (Hsien Min). It means something like "virtuous citizen" but you're not supposed to translate names anyway.

Renzhe

This review is good - well written, nicely photographed, and I will add nicely restrained in the omission of the "grading." The pen is also astonishingly lovely. Despite the quality of the photography, I am willing to bet the full beauty of this pen cannot be captured on film. I have admired this pen for a long while, but, alas!, the price is prohibitive for a retiree.

I think your assessment that Japanese pens are "in" is quite correct. I have also been consistently impressed with the quality I see in my Japanese made pens (or in this case Formosan made with Japanese influence) as contrasted with some Western writing instruments. I am so glad of the international orientation of this web site that allows us pen fanatics access to information about really good quality writing instruments.

The discussion of the Dani pen sizes prompted me to get out some of my larger pens for comparisons. I sincerely regret that I am not up to speed with photography myself, hence completely unable to display these comparisons in a photo. I laid my Tamkumi (plain red urushi), Densho (raw ebonite), MB 149 and Delta Dolce Vita O/S side by side and found them all in the same league. The Densho actually seems slender and smaller than the other three. And all four pens can compete in size with a 50 caliber machine gun bullet!

I have found that some people with small hands, and small handwriting, can in fact enjoy a larger pen. But looking at these four behemouths together, I think the more slender Densho, with its very reasonable section grip, might be more compatible with smaller hands and handwriting. This is a personal opinion only from a big pen lover expressed for the sole purpose of being helpful.

:rolleyes: Thank you!

Renzhe: thanks for the translation...even if the name should not be translated...

Frank: Thanks! I find I missed a couple of details like:

1. how many twists to open the cap (3-4). Not for quick notes- but then you don't twist the cap all the way to the end
  2. Known size comparisons. I do not have the MB meisterstuks to compare but from top to bottom:
Pelikan M600

Takumi (DaniTrio)

OMAS Ogiva

Parker Duofold Centennial

(Behemouth) Nakaya Long Cigar in Aka-Tamenuri Urushi.

http://inlinethumb18.webshots.com/7121/2642192190101882882S600x600Q85.jpg

:thumbup:

Hope this helps and thanks again!

Edited by alvarez57

sonia alvarez

Completely stunning and unique.

The Dani flexes are different to the Nakayas, I believe: Dani's don't have "springback".

- Jonathan

Thank you for this review! I have the Densho in raw ebonite, and I have the Mikado in Tamenuri. That Mikado is HUGE! But I am getting used to it. I would love to see this finish available in a Densho, but then I'd have to buy one, and blah, blah, blah - you know! ;) I really enjoyed seeing this wonderful pen! Thank you again for showing it!

Scott.

Thank you for your excellent review and the well done photos of this beautiful pen.

I hope this is not too personal a question, but will this be a regular user or one that you admire for its artistry?

What a handsome pen! I enjoyed your review an the size comparison picture you have added is extremely useful. Well done!

Thank you for your excellent review and the well done photos of this beautiful pen.

I hope this is not too personal a question, but will this be a regular user or one that you admire for its artistry?

OH BUT NO! I do use it DAILY since I bought it, just like the Nakata. My job entails a LOT of writing ( I am fortunate), so much that I can use all my pens by rotation.

meanwhile: The Dani flexes are different to the Nakayas, I believe: Dani's don't have "springback".

Yes, thanks for the info because it's true. Yet, this DaniTrio is sweet :cloud9: to write with.

scogre: I would love to see this finish available in a Densho, but then I'd have to buy one, and blah, blah, blah - you know!

As Kevin Cheng told me, this model is literally the last of the Mohicans for there is no intended future production of these models, which is unfortunate.

:crybaby:

Thanks! :happyberet:

Edited by alvarez57

sonia alvarez

Glad you like the pen.

Many Danitrio's non-limited edition pens are actually more limited than many pen company's sort call limited edition pens. Artists often work on a series of pens, and when they get tired of one finish, they simply move on. Danitrio does not insist on their artists do certain kind of pens. Too keep the artists' creative juice flowing, the artists are given a very general guideline and a budget, and the artists come up with the pens.

First Generation Wakasa-nuri which was only available in Takumi size were sold out fairly quickly.

This second generation Wakasa-nuri is available in Densho, Takumi and Clipless Mikado. Currently only a few Mikado left and then will be no more.

However, couple of years ago, I did come across one of their Wakasa-nuri prototype which they made total of 3. I thought they were very nice. At the time I have these at my first ever LA show and show them to few folks, and they were gone the very first day. I wish they would bring this pen back at some point. Meanwhile, I'll keep nagging them.

Enjoy your pen and thanks again.

Best,

Kevin

To Cross The Rubicon

Internet Pens

Thanks Kevin, I think there are some people here interested in this lacquering so yuo should let them know there are still some available.

I've been carrying BOTH my Takumi and [Nakaya] Long Cigar to my rounds, to wherever I go with my journal. I just love these two pens for both have great nibs and beautiful laccquering...which I don't show but only to a selected "audience".

sonia alvarez

• 1 month later...

:embarrassed_smile: Sorry for my own "bump" but just to say that it has been more than a month I got the pen and I have it always with me, being that is, as a daily writer. The nib got much flexible and it does have a certain spring (but not as much as the Elastic Nakaya). I am very, very happy with this pen that does not fatigue my hand and the width feels comfortable. It was a good investment. :cloud9:

sonia alvarez

• 1 month later...
:embarrassed_smile: Sorry for my own "bump" but just to say that it has been more than a month I got the pen and I have it always with me, being that is, as a daily writer. The nib got much flexible and it does have a certain spring (but not as much as the Elastic Nakaya). I am very, very happy with this pen that does not fatigue my hand and the width feels comfortable. It was a good investment. :cloud9:

Alvarez, Looks like you and I are pretty close....separated only by Lake Ponchartrain and the Manchac Swamp. I live down here in Springfield and may be the ONLY one who will have a Raw Ebonite Densho!!

Kevin has shipped mine and I can hardly wait. I ordered the fine flex and am pleased to hear that your nib has gotten a bit more flexible. I really don't know what to expect.

I DID buy Kevin's pen case in anticipation!

I lived in New Orleans for 5 years on Iberville St. a block from Carrollton. Sold the house and got out of town before Katrina. Lucky in that respect.

I plan to use my Densho as a daily writer too. I'll let my students look at it and drool!!

:wub: :cloud9: I LOOOOVE THIS PEN!!!!!! I use it more than my Nakata, and I do like the Nakata, but the DaniTrio nib seems to have more "personality" than the Nakata: it gives me more line variation with less pressure than the Nakata Elastic nib.

sonia alvarez

Truly glad this pen is serving you well, and that it compare to Nakaya well. The nib does become softer and more adaptive to your writing over time.

Best,

Kevin

To Cross The Rubicon

Internet Pens