Namiki Should Be Taking Note

Bryan

Tumi (I guess more of a luggage company) has introduced a new ballpoint with a retractable clip. If the VP had one of these, I'd have one in my pocket right now!

-Bryan

www.tumi.com

http://a1472.g.akamaitech.net/f/1472/124/4h/images.ebags.com/images/layout/blocks/2430.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/21/28891892_80d902777e_t.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Apollo

• Bryan

• southpaw

• Roger

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm up for writing a letter and having it posted to Japan.

Though, come to think of it, it would make the pen barrel more complex and probably fatter.

A removeable clip. Now that'd be brilliant.

cool looking pen!

I've actually grown fond of that darn clip - I'm lucky in that it forces me to write in a way that won't let me choke the nib. But still, that streamlined design does seem dreamy. I can imagine that the mechanism might get in the way of the nib assembly. or, as Freecia pointed out, make for a fatter pen. still.... would be interesting if it can be done.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

A retractable clip would be an interesting feature on the Pilot Vanishing Point, but it would be only weakness on what is already a solidly built pen.

First, consider what modifications would need to be done to the VP in order to accomodate such a clip design and not let it interfere with the retractable nib. After all, the pen would have to be clipped tip up.

Like Freecia said, you'd have to make the barrel fatter and employ some sort of spring mechanism to deploy and retract the clip (either by twisting the barrel or using a hidden switch). That also means you'd have to reposition the clip further down the barrel which leaves more of the pen's tip exposed when clipped to the pocket. You could taper the barrel toward the tip, but it wouldn't be aesthetically pleasing. In fact, it would ruin the pen's clean design.

In it's current configuration the Pilot VP is a streamlined and well thought out pen. A removable clip that can slide off would sound like a nice option for those who would like such a feature, but I don't mind the clip on my VP. It doesn't get in the way when I write and I think the same is true for most people, otherwise it wouldn't be such a popular pen.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

I remember mentioning the exact same thing on the VP thread I started ..... if anybody can/will do it its gonna be the Japanese !!

Considering this pen is only on its real 2nd or 3rd revision, I reckon this feature will be implimented sooner or later :)

I don't see it as being complicated or even adding to the the size of the pen ...... even a simple hinged clip mechanism which sits embedded into the barrel would work well ???

Personally ...... if Namiki could somehow bring out a VP version which was the same size as their tiny Pilot Birdie range ...... now that would be a major innovation :D

Tumi (I guess more of a luggage company) has introduced a new ballpoint with a retractable clip. If the VP had one of these, I'd have one in my pocket right now!

-Bryan

www.tumi.com

http://a1472.g.akamaitech.net/f/1472/124/4h/images.ebags.com/images/layout/blocks/2430.jpg

I had a Dupont with the retractable clip. You had to turn the entire top to ratchet the clip in. Because there was metal on metal there was grease. It seemed so gimmicky that I hardly used the pen at all and when I did it was either clip in or clip out since fussing with it was a pain in the butt for the amount of movement that there was.

Kurt H

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/CosmicSuperchunk/CaplessCrossSection.jpg

If the idea is to recess the clip into the barrel to give the pen a clipless feel, you would have no choice but to increase the diameter of the VP's barrel when you consider it's current configuration. The thing is that some people like to choke up on the section of their fountain pens and the VP's clip makes them have to adjust the way they hold the pen. Not an issue to most, but it is to some. The clip could be moved futher down the barrel, but just how much of the pen's tip do you really want sticking out of your pocket? I'd rather keep the pocketclip just as it is rather than sacrifice it for a thicker barrel and a gimmick clip. The whole idea of the Vanishing Point is to have quick access to the pen without the fuss of having to remove the cap. If you have to fuss with it in order to retract and deploy the pocket clip, then what's the point? You might as well put a cap on it. I hate to say it, but if you find that the clip on the VP gets in the way when you write, then it's not the pen for you.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

I have an aluminum Lamy Swift with a retractable clip - it works quite well and does keep one from putting the pen in your pocket with the rollerball tip exposed. It makes great sense for a retractable rollerball to save your pockets. But it does add some girth even to the rollerball and the pen is a bit longer than most to accomodate the clip in the barrel - looking at the VP design it's hard to see how it would work without significantly increasing the size of a pen many already think is at least too heavy - adding more mass is only going to add to it - but I might think a bit more about one if they did have that feature. I've been thinking about one anyway to be honest!

A pen a day keeps the doctor away...

Parker "51" flighter; Parker 75 cisele; Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator; Aurora 88P chrome; Sailor Sapporo ; Lamy 2000; Lamy 27 double L; Lamy Studio; Pilot Murex; Pilot Sesenta (Red/Grey); Pilot Capless (black carbonesque); Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator; Pilot Volex; Waterman Expert 2000 (slate blue)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/CosmicSuperchunk/CaplessCrossSection.jpg

If the idea is to recess the clip into the barrel to give the pen a clipless feel, you would have no choice but to increase the diameter of the VP's barrel when you consider it's current configuration. The thing is that some people like to choke up on the section of their fountain pens and the VP's clip makes them have to adjust the way they hold the pen. Not an issue to most, but it is to some. The clip could be moved futher down the barrel, but just how much of the pen's tip do you really want sticking out of your pocket? I'd rather keep the pocketclip just as it is rather than sacrifice it for a thicker barrel and a gimmick clip. The whole idea of the Vanishing Point is to have quick access to the pen without the fuss of having to remove the cap. If you have to fuss with it in order to retract and deploy the pocket clip, then what's the point? You might as well put a cap on it. I hate to say it, but if you find that the clip on the VP gets in the way when you write, then it's not the pen for you.

Very interesting, thanks for posting!

I tend to agree w/ Apollo. There's no free lunch. The clip would have to go somewhere.

There's just more stuff inside the fountain pen.

Chris

Apollo - thanks for the diagram. As already mentioned, I see only one possible solution for those who don't like the clip, and that is to make a removable clip VP for those who want it. But that just puts us right back to the same situation of a cap if you have to remove the clip to use it. I believe Apollo hit the nail on the head when he said,

I hate to say it, but if you find that the clip on the VP gets in the way when you write, then it's not the pen for you.
, to which I would add "or change your grip." Just my $0.01 as a new and satisfied VP owner.
"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)