Fountain Pen Glossary

Gerry

There are many times a Glossary is useful, and since a very comprehensive and excellent one already exists, rather than toiling away ourselves to put together a lesser one, we have obtained permission to link to it by the owner - Richard Binder..

Richard's Glossary

Just click and enjoy... Perhaps bring a coffee, as you may stay longer than you think... :thumbup:

Best regards,

Gerry

PS: Although this post was edited after Richard's following post - Richards contains more important information. I was just fixing a basically broken link - it now goes to the A's... Richard's suggestions allow specific references. As always, we thank Richard for being so generous with his knowledge and advice.

Edited by Gerry

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Richard

• Gerry

• eeyorespen

• giovanni1

I frequently direct others to information on my site by emailing (or posting) links to reference pages or even to specific glossary entries. The URIs can get a bit cumbersome, though, and that tends to discourage others who might want to "pay it forward." So I've fixed it by developing a way to abbreviate URIs in the reference section. For example, here's the "standard" URI for my profile of the Parker "51":

http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref_info/51_profile.htm

My new design lets you get to the same place by entering this instead:

http://www.richardspens.com/?refp=51_profile

The refp keyword tells the site that you're looking for a page in the ref_info section, and of course the .htm part is always there, so why should you have to type it in every time?

It gets better in the glossary. Suppose you want to send someone to the entry on maki-e. You used to have to type this URI:

http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref_info...ry/M.htm#maki_e

Now all you need to type is this:

http://www.richardspens.com/?gloss=maki_e

So how do you find out what the label for any given glossary entry is? Simple. Find the entry and position your mouse pointer over the term's name. Hold still for a few seconds, and your browser should display a tool tip giving the entry's label. (If you've turned tool tips off, of course, you could wait a long time...)

To make it easier to get where you really want to go, every glossary entry (722 at this writing) has a label and a title, even if it's just a "see <something else>" entry.

I hope you'll find my reference information easier than ever to use. Enjoy!

Edited by Richard

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

• 2 years later...

Fot them as likes to keep track of these kinds of things, my glossary continues to grow. As of today, May 13, 2010, it contains 902 headwords (main entries), of which 57 have multiple subentries. There are 580 illustrations, of which 267 were created specifically for the glossary.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I'm back. My glossary has passed what may be its final "significant" milestone. As of today, April 22, 2011, it contains 1007 headwords. My daughter Kate, who ought to know these things, says that's how many entries there are, but actually 69 of the headwords have multiple subentries, making a total of 1082 entries. In any case, given that the next "significant" milestone is 2000 entries, I doubt it'll ever make the next big step. :) As it is, I hope people are finding it, and will continue to find it, useful.

• 4 months later...

There are many times a Glossary is useful, and since a very comprehensive and excellent one already exists, rather than toiling away ourselves to put together a lesser one, we have obtained permission to link to it by the owner - Richard Binder..

Richard's Glossary

Just click and enjoy... Perhaps bring a coffee, as you may stay longer than you think... thumbup.gif

Best regards,

Gerry

PS: Although this post was edited after Richard's following post - Richards contains more important information. I was just fixing a basically broken link - it now goes to the A's... Richard's suggestions allow specific references. As always, we thank Richard for being so generous with his knowledge and advice.

Hi Gerry;

I'm in possession of a Aurora Model 88P Type F.

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/penandpencil/Aurora_88.html

It was purchased from my parents in 1960 in Torino Italy.

It looks like it has never been used..in the original box, with certificate.

How can I tell for sure it has never been used?

I will be selling it.

Thanks,.

• 2 months later...

The last post in the string was right. I'm in hour #3 that started last night at 11:30 and I'm on my first mug of coffee today, and still only 2/3 through the entries. Richard, your cyclopedic work is amazing. THANK YOU!

Your sub entry on Sheaffer snorkel systems is extremely helpful for me.

"know thyself?" If I knew myself, I'd run away.

Goethe

• 2 years later...

Dare I say it; but part of the attraction to Richard's website is that the knowledge is imparted with such humour -- bless his heart! What encyclopaedic information there is, there, too. I have advised several posters (who write about nib roughness or scratchiness) to go to Richard's pages and read up on nib smoothing: it really is so easy, especially since His Lordship leads the novice by the hand all the way though it -- and will sell all the necessary materials, too!

A great resource we have there!

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I'd like to add my thanks for the Glossary, it helps weed out some of the more egregious descriptions of pens at eBay!

So space and time are linked together. As we are looking across space, we are looking back in time. The further and further away those stars are the further back in time you are looking. Now you are seeing a star that is say six thousand years ago. Imagine somebody at that star looking at us They would be seeing us as we were six thousand years ago. Which of those two is now? - Alan Parsons Project The Time Machine - Temporalia (Paraphrased)

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Considering this post is almost 12 years old now, I'm not too terribly surprised this link doesn't really go anywhere anymore. That said, does anyone know of a good alternative to what this page had so I can learn all the proper terminology?

Thanks for any help.

• 3 weeks later...