opinions on this 144 Montblanc

edteach

Montblanc Meisterstueck 144 Bordeaux Fountain Pen 14kt F Nib for review.

1.thumb.jpg.84d814f9008f9dceac5ce147a8068e0c.jpg2.thumb.jpg.6320aa903df99dee77b832dc807433de.jpg3.thumb.jpg.084973061acdd8f5328590eb8e697b70.jpg4.thumb.jpg.a5ba8ec619a3c33cd7dad17b30777ba4.jpg6.thumb.jpg.874b9562b24c1f30fa8d972161046cf5.jpg5.thumb.jpg.1c4c4e776c1dd2376d30cfe19af94476.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• edteach

• Seney724

• OCArt

• JungleJim

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pretty pen, I have one in maroon/burgundy too and it's loaded with MB Burgundy ink. Mine was made in W. Germany so predates 1990. For my hands and taste the balance and length is better when posted. You'll enjoy yours I'm sure.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I bought it off eBay and was hoping it was not a fake.

Well looks like the seller did not like that it sold for what it did on eBay before I could even pay they canceled the order making up some BS excuse that they don't ship to a PO box or APO. I have never ever had anything shipped to a PO box or APO. More epray (bleep).

Seller is a scam artist. The pen sold for 103 and they did not like the price. Their user name is penandbeyond. They are very rude and I have never done any business with them and they said something about sending me an invoice to my home and that something looked odd like a PO or APO. Its obvious they are just scamming to get a higher price.

7 minutes ago, edteach said:

Seller is a scam artist. The pen sold for 103 and they did not like the price. Their user name is penandbeyond. They are very rude and I have never done any business with them and they said something about sending me an invoice to my home and that something looked odd like a PO or APO. Its obvious they are just scamming to get a higher price.

Odd...shows as "Sold" on eBay and I do not see where the seller has relisted it.

Are you sure this wasn't just some simple confusion or communication error?

9 minutes ago, Seney724 said:

Odd...shows as "Sold" on eBay and I do not see where the seller has relisted it.

No, no communication error. I came in from the shop for the night and went to pay and I had a message from the seller saying, "I tried to send you a invoice but for some reason it did not went through. Do you have a <a><a><a>P.O.<;</a>;</a>;/a> Box or a shipping forwarder? I do not ship to <a><a><a>P.O.<;</a>;</a>;/a> Boxes nor to APO or shipping forwarder. Therefore I canceled the transaction."

Regards,

Pen & Beyond

11 hours ago, edteach said:

No, no communication error. I came in from the shop for the night and went to pay and I had a message from the seller saying, "I tried to send you a invoice but for some reason it did not went through. Do you have a <a><a><a>P.O.<;</a>;</a>;/a> Box or a shipping forwarder? I do not ship to <a><a><a>P.O.<;</a>;</a>;/a> Boxes nor to APO or shipping forwarder. Therefore I canceled the transaction."

Regards,

Pen & Beyond

Given my intense dislike for eBay and their practices I find it hard to believe I am saying this but there actually are some decent, ethical people who sell there.  The challenge is finding them.....

Why not message the seller and ask what happened?  I still think it all could have been due to some simple mistake or misunderstanding.

And, if you get nothing or a bunch of BS back from the seller, you should file a report. (Not that they'll do anything about it......)

This may have been a case of miscommunication. Seller contacted me and offered to sell it in another ebay bid. I know I get a bit jumpy when something on eBay goes a bit wrong as I have been scammed several times.

16 hours ago, Seney724 said:

Regards,

Pen & Beyond

20 minutes ago, edteach said:

This may have been a case of miscommunication. Seller contacted me and offered to sell it in another ebay bid. I know I get a bit jumpy when something on eBay goes a bit wrong as I have been scammed several times.

Regards,

Pen & Beyond

Thanks for the follow-up.  Trust me, I get it.  I have been screwed every which way by eBay and their sellers.  I will no longer have anything to do with them.

But, in your instance, something just did not seem right.

There is a big time FP scammer who uses several eBay names and sells lots of fraudulent stuff.  Occasionally, he lists a legitimate item.  When he does not like the selling price of one of his  legitimate items, he immediately cancels the sale and relists the pen.  Ebay of course, does nothing about it because he does so much business there.  There are others who do the same but not with the regularity of this guy.  His most recent one was yesterday; PM me if you want to see it.  I'll send you the link.

Anyway, the key is cancel and relist.... which your seller did not do.....that's what made me think that maybe it was an innocent mistake or a misunderstanding.

Glad it all worked out.  You got a beautiful, authentic MB at a "sumgai" price!  Congrats!

I purchased a MB 144 Old Style piston pen from Uwe several years ago. He described it as all the seals are good, no leaks and writes well. After I got it I inked the pen with MB Irish Green and it leaked badly from the rear where the piston knob was. I emailed him and he wrote back that the pen was fine when he tested it and I used a bad batch of ink. No returns. Sent the pen to Linda Kennedy at Indy-Pen-Dance and she said all the seals were shot. She repaired it and the MB 144 has been fine since.

There have been other inquiries about him and PensandBeyond here at FPN.

On 8/13/2014 at 8:59 PM, kenshiro said:

Anyone ever heard of / dealt with Pens and Beyond out of Baton Rouge, Louisiana, otherwise known as Uwe Gruening? I notice he posts at Pentrace. I ended up in a bidding war with someone on an ebay auction of his for an ostensibly uninked Stipula Etruria Nuda Demonstrator, #207/351. I received the pen, and lo and behold, the pen is clearly used:

http://i.imgur.com/mDzABwn.jpg?1

as you can see, there's a clear green ink ring where the piston seal sits when the piston is retracted. Turns out all the seller's feedback has 'private' listings so you can't see what he's been buying and selling.

Pro scammer or honest mistake? Anyone ever dealt with him before?

8 minutes ago, JungleJim said:

I purchased a MB 144 Old Style piston pen from Uwe several years ago. He described it as all the seals are good, no leaks and writes well. After I got it I inked the pen with MB Irish Green and it leaked badly from the rear where the piston knob was. I emailed him and he wrote back that the pen was fine when he tested it and I used a bad batch of ink. No returns. Sent the pen to Linda Kennedy at Indy-Pen-Dance and she said all the seals were shot. She repaired it and the MB 144 has been fine since.

There have been other inquiries about him and PensandBeyond here at FPN.

Uh oh!  Thanks for posting this!

I don't know anything about this seller.  Maybe @edteach's initial instincts were correct after all......

But, the whole thing still seems a bit odd to me.

@JungleJim thanks for copying forward the information about this seller on Pentrace (the link is out of date, but they ae still active there). 

I've often wondered about their disclaimer that, even though all they sell is pens, they don't test the pens and all pens are sold as is.  But I did buy a fairly expensive pen from him recently on eBay, and so far there has been no problem with it. 

I believe I saw the same pen in an antique shop window at Canada Place in Vancouver earlier this week. Price was a little higher, I think $175 Canadian, but still seemed like a good deal. Store was closed on Monday so I couldn’t get a good luck at it but could be worth tracking down if you’re really interested in the pen.