Pelikan m205 apatite question

VacMan

I recently found a pelikan m205 apatite pen and ink set for far cheaper than regular price (it is down to $135) on Pen boutique. I find that to be quite a deal. I can't imagine the pen being terrible, it is pelikan after all (despite it not being super traditionally pelikan looking), and it comes with ink. Is there any reason this pen should be discounted that much? Is there any inherent problems with it or issues I should be aware of? Is it worth it to buy that instead of something like a pilot e95s, vanishing point, or similar pens in the 100 to 175 dollar price range? Thanks for the help!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VacMan

• Bo Bo Olson

• putteringpenman

• Runnin_Ute

Top Posters In This Topic

Shouldn't be. The Apatite colorway was introduced in 2022 if I recall correctly to match the 2022 Ink of the Year. Probably just want to free up shelf space. The 2024 will probably be landing soon as well if it hasn't already. 

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I have the light and lively apatite ink in a older 481.

Some folks didn't like the ink...I find it ok.

That clear light blue may have set folks off against it.***.

Fritz went from €169 to 144...just for the pen........it was the year before's LE pen and LE ink.

So your price is @ ok for now just for the pen. And is a great deal with the €20 cost of that Edelstein ink thrown in.

Go for it.

*** Some folks hate Pelikan's light and lively inks like the old discontinued green-green shading 4001 Brilliant Green.

They bitched for years wanting a dull, lifeless non-shading dark green ink cheap enough 4001 ink, that they got...don't see anyone raving about it. I gave mine away. It was that or toss it down the sink.

What are you waiting for...go get both.

I do have a less visible transparent Amethyst, and three other  LE 200's.

A 200, posted is a great pen, the nib is a springy regular flex. As great as a 400, but with a better nib even if it is steel, than the gold semi-nail of the 400.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

In 2018, I picked up the special edition Pelikan M120 Iconic Blue on sale. The original price was $180 and I got it for $120 a few months after release. The pen is wonderful and one of my favorites.

My guess is that the retailer wants to unload old stock and get funds to purchase newer models to sell at the December holidays. If you like the pen and the price, go for it!

Currently inked:

- Pilot Custom 743 <M> with Pilot Black

- Pelikan M120 Iconic Blue <B> with Pilot Blue

- Lamy Studio All Black <M> with Pilot Blue-Black

YouTube fountain pen reviews: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2qU4nlAfdZpQrSakktBMGg/videos

47 minutes ago, Runnin_Ute said:

Shouldn't be. The Apatite colorway was introduced in 2022 if I recall correctly to match the 2022 Ink of the Year. Probably just want to free up shelf space. The 2024 will probably be landing soon as well if it hasn't already. 

Good to know! Do you think this deal is better than getting a gold nib or different brand pen around this price?

45 minutes ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

I have the light and lively apatite ink in a older 481.

Some folks didn't like the ink...I find it ok.

That clear light blue may have set folks off against it.***.

Fritz went from €169 to 144...just for the pen........it was the year before's LE pen and LE ink.

So your price is @ ok for now just for the pen. And is a great deal with the €20 cost of that Edelstein ink thrown in.

Go for it.

*** Some folks hate Pelikan's light and lively inks like the old discontinued green-green shading 4001 Brilliant Green.

They bitched for years wanting a dull, lifeless non-shading dark green ink cheap enough 4001 ink, that they got...don't see anyone raving about it. I gave mine away. It was that or toss it down the sink.

What are you waiting for...go get both.

I do have a less visible transparent Amethyst, and three other  LE 200's.

A 200, posted is a great pen, the nib is a springy regular flex. As great as a 400, but with a better nib even if it is steel, than the gold semi-nail of the 400.

Thanks for the advice! I was just unsure if it'd make sense to get this one or save for a vanishing point or something in that realm. I know the deal is great but I just wanted to ensure that my purchase made sense. I also have never had a pelikan before and wasn't sure if this one was nice!

37 minutes ago, putteringpenman said:

In 2018, I picked up the special edition Pelikan M120 Iconic Blue on sale. The original price was $180 and I got it for $120 a few months after release. The pen is wonderful and one of my favorites.

My guess is that the retailer wants to unload old stock and get funds to purchase newer models to sell at the December holidays. If you like the pen and the price, go for it!

Cool! Do you think this pen would perform nicely too. I don't know very much about pelikans but have wanted to branch out into them. I know steel nibs can be just as nice as gold nibs but I'm always hesitant when spending large amount of money on them.

A pilot 'soft' nib is a nail, that had the shoulders of the nib ground into half moons off.........that gives them @ the soft of Pelikan's natural springy steel nib.

Living in Germany I don't have any Pilot pens which one might be able to get with in the last 4 or so years. Not chasing EF much, don't need a Japanese one.

Yes a Japanese EF is a whole size missmarked smaller than a Pelikan EF.

I though like western  M.

I got an NOS 200 set I can't use in it's never been inked. I have another W.Germany 200, LE's' Amethyst, Ruby Star, Marbled Brown and Pertol.

You can't get a better price....and I never had an urge to even look for a Pilot pen.

A translucent pen allows you to see how the guts work with a touch of color, with out having a boring clear transparent demonstrator pen. If you get it this one is lighter and clearer than my Amethyst. By the time I got around to trying to get the LE Amethyst ink, they were out and I got only three boxes of cartridges for other CC pens.

There are often times in my life, where I cheap out at the wrong time and place. :crybaby:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

17 minutes ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

A pilot 'soft' nib is a nail, that had the shoulders of the nib ground into half moons off.........that gives them @ the soft of Pelikan's natural springy steel nib.

Living in Germany I don't have any Pilot pens which one might be able to get with in the last 4 or so years. Not chasing EF much, don't need a Japanese one.

Yes a Japanese EF is a whole size missmarked smaller than a Pelikan EF.

I though like western  M.

I got an NOS 200 set I can't use in it's never been inked. I have another W.Germany 200, LE's' Amethyst, Ruby Star, Marbled Brown and Pertol.

You can't get a better price....and I never had an urge to even look for a Pilot pen.

A translucent pen allows you to see how the guts work with a touch of color, with out having a boring clear transparent demonstrator pen. If you get it this one is lighter and clearer than my Amethyst. By the time I got around to trying to get the LE Amethyst ink, they were out and I got only three boxes of cartridges for other CC pens.

There are often times in my life, where I cheap out at the wrong time and place. :crybaby:

Do you like your pelikan pens with steel nibs? I'm in America so I am fortunate enough to have access to numerous brands! Would you recommend this pen? I'm glad you have experience with pelikan and can help me!

4 hours ago, VacMan said:

Cool! Do you think this pen would perform nicely too. I don't know very much about pelikans but have wanted to branch out into them. I know steel nibs can be just as nice as gold nibs but I'm always hesitant when spending large amount of money on them.

I like the two Pelikans I own: the M120 and an M800. I unfortunately had quality control issues with both. The M120 needed a thorough cleaning to stop hard starting. The M800 got a nib grind to smooth it. I talked about these issues on my YouTube channel. The link is in my signature below.

Currently inked:

YouTube fountain pen reviews: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2qU4nlAfdZpQrSakktBMGg/videos

1 hour ago, putteringpenman said:

I like the two Pelikans I own: the M120 and an M800. I unfortunately had quality control issues with both. The M120 needed a thorough cleaning to stop hard starting. The M800 got a nib grind to smooth it. I talked about these issues on my YouTube channel. The link is in my signature below.

Do you think the purchase would be worth it even with these issues? At risk of sounding rude the m205 does seem like a more expensive version of the twsbi eco. Is it worth the price? Why is it better?

Don't have a twsbi, then they first came out there was a hell of a lot of return for new pens...that it seems they got over.

But I was chasing and am still am chasing old used pens, vintage '50-65 Pelikans, or semi-vintage '82-97...200's '85-now.

I suspect, but don't know that a posted Pelikan 200/205 is a much better balanced pen, and I've had 0 problems with my Pelikans, out side a baby bottom on my 605 BB.  I have some 35 Pelikans, including a 100, and a 100n. The Ibis ' late 30's-54 has a gold semi-flex stubbed nib, and I was foolish not to have chased that back when it was cheap.

Do look for used 200's....and if you are lucky it will have a great teardrop tipping. I raved about the 200, until they went to the double ball, some 5 years ago. I got by with the double ball because those two were EF's.

Used 200/400's should be good for another 70 years.

12 hours ago, VacMan said:

Do you think the purchase would be worth it even with these issues? At risk of sounding rude the m205 does seem like a more expensive version of the twsbi eco. Is it worth the price? Why is it better?

I used to have two TWSBIs and I like the Pelikans more even with the issues.

As I have said on my YouTube channel, I don't think increased price means better writing. But you get nicer materials and prettier pens.

The Pelikan you buy might be perfect out of the box. If it isn't, you can budget an extra $50 to have a nibmeister fix it.

That said, I think the worth just comes down to how much you like the look of this particular M205.

Currently inked:

Bought in a B&M one gets around the violet sports played by the humans vs the robots in your postal service.

A display case is for display, not shipping in our wild postal days. Outside of Goulet (sp), he ships drop from a B-52, and bounce packaging.

Tine misalignment is relatively easy to fix..if you have a 10x good glass or a dirt cheap 40X Chinese loupe. Either will work.

With your thumb nail at the start of the breather hole, push the up tine down, under, the down tine, for two seconds, do that 3 times and that should solve  problems caused because you bought it on line.

I've never had any problems with my Pelikans...and the '85-now 200's are made with Plastic Gasket 2.0 (and the still go to gasket)...that came in in '55. I have 6-7 of them, and am thinking  of getting the newest LE once I've seen it in real life.

Buy a used regular non LE 200, there will be no problems, not caused by mailing.

An LE's price has dropped from €180 to 135 for last year or the year bedsore's model. This yea's with new ownership seems to start at 135 or so, in I'd not bought it at 180. In I have some, I've not bought a new regular run, which I think would go for in the mid €90's.

Well my 605 was on sale at the famous Galeria Kaufhaus for €99.:notworthy1: As a fool gold snob, I didn't get the yellow 200 for only €35.

I regret that to this day, in I don't have a yellow pen, much less a 200.

Out side of that one, the only new Pelikans I've bought are the 200's.

I do have at least 35 Pelikans, all but the 8-9 mentioned used, that worked and work just fine.

Buy a used 200.

If the nib is steel like a 205, or gold plated like many 200's, or even if the gold is wearing off the nib is a real nice springy nib.

I was at a junk/antique shop, and he had a 150...he said, let me clean that dried ink off with a harsh paper towel, ignoring my howl to stop....there wnt the gold plating. The pen writes just as well with out it.

I have some gold plated nibs, that write as well as gold nibs.

(I do have a '50's Pelikan 120 that was gold plated, that with out warning and or much use after only 65 years the gold plating started evaporating....so notify me in 60 or so years about your gold plating.)

I have too many pens to screw around with a pen whose nib is not first class.

A 250 is a black 200 with a 14 K nib.....I don't notice any difference betwen it and a regular 200, and in my semi-vintage gold 400's small 600,200 and later 200, the nice springy steel/gold palted 200's nib is exactly = with the 400/381/Celebry nib.

I have two Celebrys, one gold nibed and the other steel, that are =.

If an when you want to give your youngest great-grandkid your Pelikan 200 have at it.

I doubt if a Twisbi will be in your pens then.

I seem have a lot of negative things to say about Twisbi. He came on Com asking what we wanted, and did give replacement pens for the many, many failed pens. That he has improved them is of course.

But I was buying used German pens, and even cheap...cheaper Twsibi was  more than I wanted to give out, for a take apart pen. I have an Ahab for that.

OH, if you compulsive neat...do buy a take apart Twsbi. A Pelikan outside the 800&1000 are not pens that are made to take apart for invisible dirt behind the piston. That will ruin them much sooner than later. They are not made to be yanked apaprt.

Do remember 200's screw out nibs are affordable so you can have different sizes....and will fit a 400 or 600. I often advise  folks with a modern gold semi-nail 400/600, to up grade their nibs on those pens with a nice springy regular flex 200 nib.

The 200's nib will spoil you.