Greetings from Vermont, USA

Inky_Ben

I am clearly doing this backwards, as I first posted with a clueless question about my attempts to make India ink at home.   Got that cleared up (thanks, @Claes!) and then started poking about the site. I will say that I am astounded by the amount I don't know on any topic here.  And also at the civility and basic generosity of those who have jumped in to answer my noob questions.   There's a pen referred to as a "Snorkel"  -- that fact alone sent me down a research rabbit hole that I only emerged from when I had one on order from FPN's own Speerbob.  Got to see what all the fuss is about, after all. . .

I live in Vermont in an old farmhouse and our town is so small we don't even have our own Zip code.  We have an acre of land, a dog who thinks its all hers and a cat who eats all our mice.  It's fairly rural here -- the smell of farmers spreading manure on their fields is normal.  Needless to say, there is no fountain pen shop within 200 miles, and the forum's collective wisdom help make up for that.  So, a big thank you to the hive mind!

My primary interest in pens is as tools for drawing.   The quality of a line that you get from a nib as opposed to a technical pen or a marker with a fiber tip makes it a simple/no-brainer choice as a tool.  I enjoy writing with them too, but if left alone in a room with a ream of paper and a pen, lot of the following is emerging, not the Great American Novel:

_Comp.thumb.jpg.2e9fcea7f89a151f1bbb1163689f33fd.jpg

So greetings from the Green Mountains!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inky_Ben

• PAKMAN

• Sailor Kenshin

• jar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome home Deep South Texas.  Pull up a stump and set a spell.

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! So glad to have you as a member!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

large.FPNWelcome.png.691f2612d13f7c0621a0c62585df6f4c.jpeg.7e0fe3775c89382d61556cc6d318eb24.jpeg

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Hi and a warm welcome from Yorkshire UK. 

Mark from the Latin Marcus follower of mars, the god of war.

Yorkshire Born, Yorkshire Bred. 

my current favourite author is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

largebronze-letter-exc.pngflying-letter-exc.png

Hi, and welcome! I found my first Parker 51 at a barn sale in Plainfield for $2. I absolutely loved my time in VT. 

Top 5 of 20 currently inked pens:

Namiki Origami Tradition maki-e Penguin F, Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku

Sailor X Sakazaki Penguin Pro Gear Slim MF, Sailor Manyo Konagi

Blue Marbled Parker Duofold Centennial IM, Scribe Indigo

Parker Falcon, Oblation Portland Rain

Parker IM Monochrome Blue F, Parker Penman Sapphire

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

Welcome to the mother of all rabbit holes, the more you read the more you know you don't know lol. Lots of excellent information, lots of very helpful people.

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail