Impossible Ink Desires; for I contain multitudes...

arcfide

So, I've come to a bit of what I think is an impossible head in my ink journey, but maybe someone else has some ideas that I haven't thought of. 

In short, I love using broad nibs, very wet lines, but precise placement of said ink. My problem comes from the fact that many inks lose their saturation when used in exceptionally broad nibs, even wet ones, like Pelikan's or Platinum Coarse nibs. The ink has a tendency to spread out, and thus loses some of its punch, though you get tremendous shading. This is making it quite hard for me to find the right ink. If the ink is wet enough to lay down properly gushy, from a broad nib, it must be so wet that you almost can't control anything anymore. Anything less wet than this and the ink tends to not pool up beautifully like I like. 

And then this means that it's also hard to find the color with the intensity that I like, but without the excessive bad properties that come with super saturation (smearing, stickiness, etc.). 

And then that leads to the color problems. I'm finding that I *really* like the intense contrast and brightness of a good black ink. If I can use the right terms, I like the kind of masculine, intense, driven energy that you get from that bold blackness and tight contrast. But...it lacks the creative energy and extra "voomph" of other cooler inks. Something like a bright cyan, turquoise ink kind of captures this, that clean energy with just that little extra brightness. But, in a broad nib, it's almost impossible to get a nice, intense, wet ink floating on the page look from the kinds of inks with the colors that capture that (Waterman, Pelikan, Lamy, etc.).

What I really want is something with the intensity and masculine energy of a bright black ink with the creative energy of something like a bright turquoise, all while laying down a wet, glistening line in a broad pen without losing control or otherwise becoming "sticky" on the nib or in the pen or just otherwise not being well-behaved. 

Like I said, I think this is impossible, but I figured I would see if anyone has any recommendations? 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• arcfide

• amberleadavis

• yazeh

• OCArt

Sounds like you might be a candidate for Noodlers Baystate Blue!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

@arcfideI'm often puzzled with the wet ink, wide nib combination. I was recently checking some of the SBRE brown's pen reviews and there was one with a BB silver nib, very wet. For me it'll be a nightmare combination. Inks never never drying , smudging and host of other inky problems without a blotter. :) 

I'm not a much of a user of black ink, but I get the appeal of it. When writing with a sumi ink, I have often been mesmerized by the depth, beauty and the brilliance of the ink. I also understand the appeal of a bright, bold turquoise. 

Of the few black inks I've reviewed, Noodler's Polar Black had some of the qualities you were looking. And it reminded me of sumi ink. But unfortunately it has long dry-times, it's viscous and I'm not sure you would like it.  

The only black ink that I used regularly is Platinum Carbon Black cartridge form in a Platinum Pocket pen with a fine nib. It's my favorite pen and ink combination as it's dependable and waterproof. But it is muted and more of grey black. I have used Kiwa-guro with a fude nib and that might fit the bill. It is shiny and pleasant to use. 

Good luck with your search :) 

@arcfide I use insanely broad nibs and I love retina searing inks.  So, I may be able to suggest some inks.  However, I also like shimmer and sheen.

So am I to understand that you want a super intense, Johnny Cash kind of black?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

2 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

@arcfide I use insanely broad nibs and I love retina searing inks.  So, I may be able to suggest some inks.  However, I also like shimmer and sheen.

So am I to understand that you want a super intense, Johnny Cash kind of black?

Hah! If only it were so easy. I actually have a lot of black inks that I like (Pelikan's, Platinum's, Take-sumi, Waterman), but I've noticed a few things I don't like about each one. More than that, color-wise, I don't *just* want black. I can find good, solid black inks with various properties. But when writing with such inks, I end up having about 80% of the emotional impact that I want. The black inks are masculine, solid, clear, and strong, but they don't have the optimism and positive energy that I'm looking for. Contrast with something like Waterman Inspired Blue, or Pelikan Turquoise, or the nicely subtle Platinum Aqua Blue. These all have an exceptionally clean, almost happy energy that I really like, but they completely lack "emotional weight" in them. The strong shading and lack of bold intensity means that they don't create high contrast and intensity in a broad nib (they'd probably be better in a fine nib). 

If I could get some of that "joy" of a turquoise ink to merge with the base emotional impact of a nice black ink, without suffering the usual downfalls of inks that don't "feel good" on the nib and have a sort of excessive stickiness in the pen, then I'd be pretty happy. If you look at some highly wet and saturated inks, many of them have a sort of clinginess to them which I can feel in the pen. They don't wash out neatly, and I can tell that the nib and feed aren't really at their best. Think "paint" or something like that. Inks like Noodler's Kung Te Cheng or Legal Blue are some of the worst offenders. However, Pilot's Iroshizuku inks all exhibit this to some degree, as do some of the premium J. Herbin line. Contrast this with the much less "sticky" inks of Platinum, Pelikan, or Waterman, or even the basic Herbin line. 

I think the problem is that I like the thickness of inks that go down heavy, when they are on the page, but I don't like the feel of them in the pen, and coupled with the issues with color, I don't think I can solve the problem. 

I've thought about maybe putting a tiny bit of cyan or turquoise into a black ink, to give it a little bit of that look, but too much and you get a kind of greenish muddy blue black which is too muted to meet my desires for clarity and brightness. 

I've had reasonably good luck with using White Lightning to make Waterman Black wetter, which doesn't create the same clinginess as Take-sumi, but has much more flow, and it's a cool black, so it's a little more "optimistic" to me emotionally, but it still needs quite a wet application and thus loses the control you want, while also not quite meeting the turquoise attributes. Waterman Black also doesn't retain its brightness on some papers (while it does really well on some others). The same issue applies to Platinum dyestuff Black. It's absolutely superb going down on the page, but on most papers, it doesn't have the depth of color after it dries, and the sheen interferes with the clarity on the page. 

Bah, humbug. 

That's a lot of emotional weight to put on an ink.  I was reading this to my husband.  He says that I too am that particular (I'm not sure he didn't say peculiar). :). For me, I want retina searing inks that don't clog or fuss or bleed or dry out or take too long to dry...

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

14 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

That's a lot of emotional weight to put on an ink.  I was reading this to my husband.  He says that I too am that particular (I'm not sure he didn't say peculiar). :). For me, I want retina searing inks that don't clog or fuss or bleed or dry out or take too long to dry...

Heheh, what can I say, I see (feel?) emotion in inks! 

Do you have a favorite turquoise ink that is retina searing? I do not mind long dry times, but I don't like bleed. The issue with testing clogging is that many pens will work fine and not clog per se, but they will nonetheless have what I would consider reduced performance from an ink that tends to stick around in the pen too easily, and I'd like to avoid that. 

Turquoise that would fit your requirements is so difficult to find!

If you are in Europe, you can try the Faber-Castell turquoise for something like 3€ a bottle:

I currently have it in a quite wet Waterman expert (something of a EF/F though) and don't see much shading (unlike in the above review). Even with the shading, I like it better than the Waterman equivalent.

Or did you try the Kuretake Shimbashi-iro? 

But you'll need a very wet pen to escape most of the shading. If you're not in a hurry I can send you some samples of both.

@arcfide I think you should look at the work of @InesF. She had done a lot of work with surface tension (I think this the clinginess of which you speak).

22 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

I was reading this to my husband.  He says that I too am that particular (I'm not sure he didn't say peculiar). :)

Hey, well, I was shocked and amazed when my husband decided he wanted an ink OTHER than Namaki Black (so I got him a couple of bottles of Namiki Blue, which I think he's currently running through a Snorkel with an EF nib after he misplaced the Safari with an EF nib he wanted me to get for him when I was putting in an order for something else (maybe last year's or the year before's al-Star SE).

Of course, last spring when I was at the B/W show, he wanted me to pick up another bottle of either Namiki Black or Namiki Blue (forget which now -- but whichever one it was NOBODY had it at the show, just the OTHER color... :wallbash:).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

19 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

@arcfide I think you should look at the work of @InesF. She had done a lot of work with surface tension (I think this the clinginess of which you speak).

I have. I don't thinkl surface tension fully captures the idea. I think it's a partial explanation. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to correlate surface tension with the specific properties that I'm looking for completely, though it's definitely a contributor. 

The search continues! 

I am here cuz of the Whitman allusion in the thread title...He, too, could not find all his pleasures in just one vessel, one form of body, one bottle (of ink):

I have fill'd them, emptied them.
And proceed to fill my next fold of the future.

Thanks for making the start of my day! Good luck with your ink hunt....