• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kgbenson

• Ron Z

• Uncial

• NoType

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a slight gold tarnish.

I quite like gold nibs with this tarnish darkening.

Tarnish  (gold isn't 100% gold) or ink stain.  It will wipe off with a Sunshine cloth.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Like @Uncial, I find the darkened look of mildly tarnished Montblanc nibs to be attractive.  Only a few of the older pens on my desk have nibs with the look in your photo, unfortunately, and I would never consider polishing them, but as @Ron Z says, the tarnish can be easily removed.*  (Funnily enough, I don’t like tarnished metals in any other context, and have been known to spend hours carefully polishing sterling silver and vermeil pen bodies.)

Some cultures do not consider any gold of less than 22-karat purity to be “real” gold, in part because the likelihood of tarnishing increases with the increased amounts of alloys present in decreasing karat counts of gold.  But even 22K gold will tarnish, given certain conditions (https://www.totaram.com/education/cat/gold-jewelry/post/can-real-22k-gold-tarnish-or-discolor/), which is an inconvenient truth for “karat snobs,” of which my family happens to include a few.

But I digress.
————

* A solid gold nib like yours is soft and will scratch all too easily, so patience and a light touch with the jeweller’s cloth is called for.  Also, be aware that the silvery colour of the nib is the result of rhodium plating, which is thin and easily removed (revealing the yellow gold underneath) by aggressive polishing, so try to avoid contact with the rhodium-coated area of the nib.  (Easier said than done.)

On 7/2/2024 at 7:30 PM, NoType said:

rhodium plating, which is thin and easily removed (revealing the yellow gold underneath) by aggressive polishing

I too love the tarnished gold on many of my vintage nibs.  Initially I would wipe it off with a silver polish cream and I love the look of a newly polished nib but some nibs have very unique tarnish which I now appreciate very much.

Also as @NoType has so well explained, I have some vintage nibs where the rhodium coating has been polished off and that is something that I don’t appreciate.  Either way I hope you love your EF 149 nib.

15 hours ago, DimitriDiak said:

Either way I hope you love your EF 149 nib.

I didn't buy it - I am not comfortable identifying counterfeits on eBay yet so I did not pull the trigger.  But I do appreciate everyone's input on the color.

thanks,

Keith