Packaging

ajf

I got a new Montblanc pen recently too , from an official boutique. I must admit I was somewhat underwhelmed by the small plain white cardboard box and cloth pouch, although I don’t feel strongly about it and I do see how this has its own charm, however they are selling luxury, hence the premium prices and brand diversification.  I don’t buy the eco justification… does Montblanc sell their luxury watches with minimalistic packaging too?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NoType

• ajf

• Karmachanic

• EricTheRed

Although it’s troublesome to store pen boxes, when you decide to resell or trade them, having the original box tends to increase the value of your pen, especially if it’s a highly sought after model.  Since it’s part of the allure and adventure of this type of acquisition, having a high quality box to accompany a valuable pen only makes sense to me.  I think Montblanc is making a mistake by decreasing the perceived quality of their pen boxes.

The Ferrari 296 GTS didn't come in a box of any description.  So disappointing.  What am I s'posed to do when the 298 becomes available?  Bag it? :gaah:

Add lightness and simplicate.

The Packaging is part of the Product and thus Part of the 4Ps of marketing as made Popular in the 60s and early 70s by the likes of Phillip kotler et al. It is an integral part of the offering, the appeal, and the overall means of enticing you to buy it. 

8 hours ago, EricTheRed said:

Although it’s troublesome to store pen boxes, when you decide to resell or trade them, having the original box tends to increase the value of your pen, especially if it’s a highly sought after model.

A big pen box certainly tends to increase the price of a pen for re-sale. Whether it also increases the perceived value depends on the buyer. For me, it doesn't, and I am happy to get a nice pen without a big (and, to me, wasteful) box if it means I spent less for it. I don't buy pens for re-sale, and if I do end up re-selling something, it won't be for a profit. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Product, Price, Placement, and Promotion.  In this case it’s part of the product as eruditely described by Linger.