Packaging

ajf

I was lucky enough to recently join the Montblanc fold.

One of the pens I purchased was the 149, which from previous pictures on the web, I thought would come in one of the larger square pen boxes with hinged lid.

I was a bit surprised when it arrived in the simple small card box with cotton pouch, bit like the Origin pens.

Was I mistaken about the pen box, or do they change the packaging sometimes?

The pen was purchased direct from Montblanc online.

Not the end of the world, but it would have added to the new experience!

Also be useful to know for future purchases.

thanks.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NoType

• ajf

• Karmachanic

• EricTheRed

I also got a simple cardboard box with the last MB I ordered from a vendor in the Netherlands. I believe the vendors can choose what kind of packaging they purchase and decide to send to the customer. 

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

They started changing the packaging in 2022. I believe the glacier series was the first to use the new packaging.  The Scottsdale boutique told me it was an initiative towards more sustainable packaging, for what it’s worth. 

10 hours ago, OCArt said:

I believe the vendors can choose what kind of packaging they purchase and decide to send to the customer. 

I had this experience with the purchase of a Pelikan M400: I complained to the retailer that the box that I had seen on the Pelikan website was not included, but they told me that they had to buy these boxes from Pelikan themselves. So these boxes are not included for free with the purchase of a standard model pen.

Thank you for the feedback.

Generally what I suspected. Bit of a shame, but never mind.

The pen is fantastic.

15 hours ago, pen2deep said:

The Scottsdale boutique told me it was an initiative towards more sustainable packaging, for what it’s worth. 

More power to them. I think it's a huge improvement, and I wish other pen dealers and manufacturers would follow suit. 

Personally I never liked the old boxes as they were of no use after buying the pen. They take away so much space and I didn't like them for storing my pens.

I'd prefer a box which can be comfortably used for storing and/or transporting multiple pens.

The new box is not perfect but an improvement for me.

I don't care much about using lots of material just for presentation without much practical use later.

Cheers

Michael

I would like to add my favourable opinion about Montblanc’s new packaging to the above comments by @Paul-in-SF and @Michael R., and attest that like @pen2deep, I was also told by not just one but three boutique managers on separate occasions that environmental consciousness and ecological sensitivity were behind the development of the design, which evokes the vintage drawer-type boxes Montblanc had utilised in the early twentieth century.  (Utilising only 100% cotton in the new softer pouches with which pens were returned from service to clients was another way that Montblanc adopted sustainable practices.)

I can also second @pen2deep’s supposition from personal experience that the Meisterstück Glacier series was among the first, of not the very first, to be released in the new packaging.

Here is more information about the materials used:

https://www.formesdeluxe.com/article/inside-montblanc-s-new-eco-designed-coffret.61027

While the text in the link above doesn’t include the words “environmental awareness” or “ecological sensitivity,” the verbiage implies this as mention is made of Montblanc’s abandonment of injected plastic and metal hinges and their limited use of ink printing for the box, as well as their adoption of viscose fibre from sustainable wood for the pouch.

Did I state how much I like the new packaging?

For me the new choice of packaging is more to save money and the ecological topic is welcome for MB to justify this choice. I really don't like the new ones, buying pens of almost 3000€ and have this so cheap cardboard packaging is not appealing. When I compare what Kaweco offers for pens that cost 10 or 20x less, it doesn't reflect luxurious position of MB. As I'm buying mainly limited edition of MB pens I still have nice wood/lacquered packaging I'm happy. If one day they decide to replace also nice box with cheap packaging, it could influence my choice to buy or not a MB pen. If they want to be more ecologic in their packaging and keeping luxurious image, they can watch what Japon brands offer like Namiki, Sailor, etc.

In my view the packaging that contains a 149mm x 15mm object, for instance, should be proportionate, unobtrusive and discreet.  

Add lightness and simplicate.

6 hours ago, Cyrille81 said:

For me the new choice of packaging is more to save money and the ecological topic is welcome for MB to justify this choice. 

All of the points of view expressed about the matter of the "new" packaging are extremely well articulated.  Furthermore, the points are all well justified.

My take on the matter is most consistent with @Cyrille81  IMO, what drives everything Montblanc / Richemont do is based upon money, profit potential & the enhancement of their bottom line.  I think it is naive to believe the cheaper packaging is primarily due to a concern over the environment.  That said, I am also of the opinion that if their money driven decisions result in something of more benefit to the environment, it is a good thing. 

For a cynic like me, the true test of their "commitment" would be if whatever they did was more costly to them, not less, and they absorbed that cost as opposed to passed it along on to the customer.  With Montblanc, that will never happen..........

16 hours ago, Cyrille81 said:

cheap cardboard packaging

@Cyrille81 On the contrary, I found the packaging to be of sufficiently high quality not to embarrass the pens contained within.  

10 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

In my view the packaging that contains a 149mm x 15mm object, for instance, should be proportionate, unobtrusive and discreet.  

@Karmachanic Very well put.

9 hours ago, Seney724 said:

I think it is naive to believe the cheaper packaging is primarily due to a concern over the environment.

@Seney724 Thank you for your opinion, although I am unsure that the new packaging is actually cheaper in cost.  (I found it to be of high quality both visually and tactilely.)

(Forgive me from copying and pasting my previous comment in another thread (Montblanc’s Warranty) below, but it seems relevant in this thread as well.)

When it comes to large corporations with subsidiaries, and especially publicly traded companies, profit maintenance always seems to play an outsize role in decision-making processes, so scepticism is understandable and possibly warranted.  Since we lack hard data on packaging costs of old vs new Montblanc designs, it is difficult to determine if cutting costs and increasing profits were the main motivations for the new packaging, or how great a role they played in the adoption of the new packaging design.  However, simple-appearing designs using recycled materials can seem deceptively cost-effective, when the opposite is actually the case, so although your supposition seems reasonable, I venture to posit that it is possible that Montblanc’s new packaging is not entirely a money saving effort.  

In short, although Montblanc may not strictly deserve it — one only has to look at its revamped third-party strategy for service in the US and higher charges for service to see examples of money saving efforts — I am willing to give the maison the benefit of the doubt in this instance, at least until more cost data (ever) becomes available.

23 minutes ago, NoType said:

@Seney724 Thank you for your opinion, although I am unsure that the new packaging is actually cheaper in cost.  (I found it to be of high quality both visually and tactilely.)

(Forgive me from copying and pasting my previous comment in another thread (Montblanc’s Warranty) below, but it seems relevant in this thread as well.)

When it comes to large corporations with subsidiaries, and especially publicly traded companies, profit maintenance always seems to play an outsize role in decision-making processes, so scepticism is understandable and possibly warranted.  Since we lack hard data on packaging costs of old vs new Montblanc designs, it is difficult to determine if cutting costs and increasing profits were the main motivations for the new packaging, or how great a role they played in the adoption of the new packaging design.  However, simple-appearing designs using recycled materials can seem deceptively cost-effective, when the opposite is actually the case, so although your supposition seems reasonable, I venture to posit that it is possible that Montblanc’s new packaging is not entirely a money saving effort.  

In short, although Montblanc may not strictly deserve it — one only has to look at its revamped third-party strategy for service in the US and higher charges for service to see examples of money saving efforts — I am willing to give the maison the benefit of the doubt in this instance, at least until more cost data (ever) becomes available.

@NoType As always your words are so well stated.  I admire your masterful and compelling prose.

I specifically had your posts on this matter in mind when I commented that "All of the points of view expressed about the matter of the "new" packaging are extremely well articulated.  Furthermore, the points are all well justified." 

Our only difference, really, is the way we are coming at this matter.  You say "I am willing to give the maison the benefit of the doubt in this instance, at least until more cost data (ever) becomes available" whereas I will not be convinced this is so until I see the cost data which proves the point. 

Remember, Richemont is a public company which means the most important thing to them is enhancing shareholder value.  Everything else is secondary.  And so, environmental sustainability only becomes important to them if they can enhance shareholder value as a result of it.  This is, of course, possible but I'll believe it only when I see the data which supports it.

1 hour ago, Seney724 said:

@NoType As always your words are so well stated.  I admire your masterful and compelling prose.

I specifically had your posts on this matter in mind when I commented that "All of the points of view expressed about the matter of the "new" packaging are extremely well articulated.  Furthermore, the points are all well justified." 

Our only difference, really, is the way we are coming at this matter.  You say "I am willing to give the maison the benefit of the doubt in this instance, at least until more cost data (ever) becomes available" whereas I will not be convinced this is so until I see the cost data which proves the point. 

Remember, Richemont is a public company which means the most important thing to them is enhancing shareholder value.  Everything else is secondary.  And so, environmental sustainability only becomes important to them if they can enhance shareholder value as a result of it.  This is, of course, possible but I'll believe it only when I see the data which supports it.

@Seney724 Thank you for your kind words.  I also appreciate your considered comments and reasoned statements.

Yes, I agree that the only substantive difference in our views is whether to give Montblanc the benefit of the doubt.  I understand your desire not to do so and feel that that is an eminently reasonable decision.  

I appear to have started quite a discussion with this post, apologies.

As a first time Montblanc buyer it was more down to the expectation I had from seeing online articles etc of the pen.

The pen is of course the main attraction, but the case I was expecting would certainly add to the experience, especially as a first time buyer.

As a collector of multiple pens, I can see that packaging is not only less important, but can also be rather annoying when one has to store it!.

Having collected other items in the past, this is something I am quite aware of.

4 hours ago, ajf said:

I appear to have started quite a discussion with this post, apologies.

As a first time Montblanc buyer it was more down to the expectation I had from seeing online articles etc of the pen.

The pen is of course the main attraction, but the case I was expecting would certainly add to the experience, especially as a first time buyer.

As a collector of multiple pens, I can see that packaging is not only less important, but can also be rather annoying when one has to store it!.

Having collected other items in the past, this is something I am quite aware of.

@ajf No need to apologise!  Discussion about Montblanc’s new packaging was already well under way in the thread “Montblanc’s Warranty,” and considering that many members have an opinion, it is fitting for the subject to have its own thread.  So your post has served a useful purpose in the forum.

Naturally, for a new Montblanc customer, it is understandable that packaging can play an significant role in the purchasing experience, and your personal experience is important to document and share here.  

As you suggest, for purchasers of multiple Montblanc pens, packaging may play a different role, though as you can see by the varied reactions to your post, there is a variety of opinion on the subject.  Sometimes members may feel the need to agree to disagree, but a lively discussion is always welcome on this forum!

Montblanc Box Collectors Forum?

Add lightness and simplicate.

5 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

Montblanc Box Collectors Forum?

@Karmachanic But, of course!  Where else?