TWSBI Swipe new purchase

Scriptum est

Forced to wait an hour and a half in Cork city on Saturday between arriving on the train from Dublin and catching the bus home to Clonakilty, I wandered into a shop called 'Unbound' which amongst many other things actually stocks fountain pens and inks (hooray!). I had thought Ireland was now a fountain-pen free zone with no retail facilities available since the demise of the shop in Dublin a couple or three years ago. But no! Unbound has TWSBIs, Lamys and Kawecos, plus a few vintage pens for sale. I had seen a review of a TWSBI Swipe on Goulet's Youtube channel which had led me back to reconsidering TWSBIs after a minor disaster I had experienced with my Eco, one of the first fountain pens I had bought (disassembled it and could not quite get it back together again properly).

So far I am really pleased with my purchase: the Swipe writes better than the Eco ever did (I think my Eco needed tweaking and I hadn't the tools/materials nor courage to do that).

The reviews on line say that in the US the Swipe comes/came with two converters as well as a propreitary ink cartridge. Here in Europe they seem only to come with the one (spring action) converter, but I am happy with that for the price paid (€35).

Any other Swipe owners/fans out there wish to make themselves known to me? 🙂

Chris

[img=https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/exc-img/bronze-letter-exc.png]

bronze-letter-exc.png

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scriptum est

• Doc Dan

• jchch1950

• Revekah

The Twsbi Swipe is an excellent pen. I have a salmon one with a 1.1 nib that is the best stub that I have, no complaints about the other stubs from Twsbi except that they don't offer anything wider.

Hi @Scriptum est I have the Prussian Blue and Pear TWSBI Swipe pens, both with 1.1mm stub nibs. Mine came with the two converters as I’m in the US. They do write well. 

What color is your Swipe?

Posted Image

I love TWSBI pens. They write better than most of my other pens, regardless of price or materials. The Swipe uses the same nib and feed as the Eco, so I suspect your Eco was an outlier. I am glad you are happy with your Swipe. I've been tempted by them, but I have a couple of Go's and a couple of Ecos, so that slowed me down. I will say, however, that I simply love the way the Go fills and suspect the Swipe will be the same. 

On 6/18/2024 at 8:25 AM, Misfit said:

Hi @Scriptum est I have the Prussian Blue and Pear TWSBI Swipe pens, both with 1.1mm stub nibs. Mine came with the two converters as I’m in the US. They do write well. 

What color is your Swipe?

Mine must be the one called 'pear' as it is light green.

bronze-letter-exc.png

On 6/18/2024 at 7:02 AM, jchch1950 said:

The Twsbi Swipe is an excellent pen. I have a salmon one with a 1.1 nib that is the best stub that I have, no complaints about the other stubs from Twsbi except that they don't offer anything wider.

Ah, so the pinkish one they had in the shop is what is called 'salmon'! I may get a wider nib TWSBI. For letter writing I tend to gravitate towards fine nibs. May I ask what you use your 1.1 stub for?

bronze-letter-exc.png

On 6/18/2024 at 11:36 AM, Doc Dan said:

I love TWSBI pens. They write better than most of my other pens, regardless of price or materials. The Swipe uses the same nib and feed as the Eco, so I suspect your Eco was an outlier. I am glad you are happy with your Swipe. I've been tempted by them, but I have a couple of Go's and a couple of Ecos, so that slowed me down. I will say, however, that I simply love the way the Go fills and suspect the Swipe will be the same. 

Yes, the filling mechanism on my Swipe (the spring converter) works just fine. I have no issues with it at all. I may have to have a closer look at the TWSBI Go models when I am next in the shop.

bronze-letter-exc.png

I thought that might be the case. I don't think I could write a long letter with such a thick nib (and some of my letters are long!).

bronze-letter-exc.png

I use my 1.1 stubs for everything. This is my preferred nib and TWSBI stubs are ssmmooootthhh! I am jonesing for a Dark Sapphire Eco with yet another stub. I find that stubs write as thick or fine as the pressure I use when writting. 

I love my Conway Stewart! Does anyone else think their nibs are spot on for smooth writing?

4 hours ago, Revekah said:

I love my Conway Stewart! Does anyone else think their nibs are spot on for smooth writing?

The vintage one I had was. I sent it to the charity shop as although it had a new sac, the mechanism that holds and operates it was rusty and corroded and was beginning to corrode the sac. The other aeromatic that I had also went with it, as that constantly leaked despite being serviced and having a new sac. That has put me off of Aeromatic fillers for life. I am going to stick to lever, vac fillers, pistons and c/c pens.

Mark from the Latin Marcus follower of mars, the god of war.

Yorkshire Born, Yorkshire Bred. 

my current favourite author is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

largebronze-letter-exc.pngflying-letter-exc.png

22 hours ago, Mark from Yorkshire said:

The vintage one I had was. I sent it to the charity shop as although it had a new sac, the mechanism that holds and operates it was rusty and corroded and was beginning to corrode the sac. The other aeromatic that I had also went with it, as that constantly leaked despite being serviced and having a new sac. That has put me off of Aeromatic fillers for life. I am going to stick to lever, vac fillers, pistons and c/c pens.

I have had one experience with a vintage pen - and never again shall I repeat it! Mine was much like yours, only the barrel seemed not to be able to withstand tap water, and warped when I cleaned the wretched thing! I admire those who tinker and restore these pens but experience had proved I am not of that tribe!

bronze-letter-exc.png

Hello from the East Coast - it's lovely to find another fountain pen user from Ireland! I'm thinking of buying a TWSBI Swipe. I didn't know about unbound so will check them out.

I need to lie down in a darkened room now, having been shocked that there is another fountain pen fan IN IRELAND on here! 😆

Unbound have a web site so you could order on line from them but I prefer to go into the bricks and mortar shop, which is fairly easy to get to for me, up in Cork city. I get the feeling that they are a one-shop outfit rather than a chain.

Whereabouts are you on Ireland's east coast?

bronze-letter-exc.png

On 6/27/2024 at 5:20 PM, Birch_Wood_Wolf said:

Hello from the East Coast - it's lovely to find another fountain pen user from Ireland! I'm thinking of buying a TWSBI Swipe. I didn't know about unbound so will check them out.

There are a lot of fountain pen shops in Ireland, apparently. I googled and came up with 7 or 8. Unbound, Pen Place, Iconic Pens, Donegal Pens, and a number more. 

7 hours ago, Doc Dan said:

There are a lot of fountain pen shops in Ireland, apparently. I googled and came up with 7 or 8. Unbound, Pen Place, Iconic Pens, Donegal Pens, and a number more. 

OK, thanks. I was under the impression once the long-standing one in central Dublin closed a few years ago, that there were none left any more. I'll follow these names up.

bronze-letter-exc.png