Montblanc 149 friction fit piston disassembly (60’s to 70's?)

Pierrot

Hello,

This is my first post here, so please, tell me kindly if anything is inappropriate. Sorry, it is a bit long, but it does include two parts !

My first purpose for this post is to THANK YOU ALL for your posts and for sharing.

My second purpose is to contribute humbly with my experience in the hope that it might help someone else.

First then :

A little bit of back ground :

I have a Montblanc 149 that was passed on to me by previous generations. Worked great. At one point the piston became hard to move, then, the screw broke.

My fault, too much force not enough brain.  

Anyway, it stayed like that a couple of years.

Wanting to have it restored, I looked on internet, and discovered that Montblanc doesn’t do restoration, and that my pen didn’t look like any of the pictures I could find on internet. At one point I even doubted it was genuine! The piston was all plastic compared to brass piston I could see everywhere.

This implied that Montblanc would basically change everything except the nib maybe. Probably too expensive, and not at all my frame of mind…

Then, I discovered this discussion group, and I learned SO MANY things!!! Therefore, MANY THANKS to you all.

In particular, thanks to your photos and descriptions I have managed to :

-          Learn that I have a Montblanc 149 dating around the 60’s or 70's, with a Friction fit piston.

-          Learn how to disassemble the pen, and clean correctly every part of it.

-          (I didn’t completely disassemble the nib, as there was no particular problem with it).

Everything went fine up to the removal of the friction fit piston…

Problem : the posts I read said it was a very tricky operation, with quite a risk of breaking the pen, the wall being so thin. (Allowing more Ink storage, I did learn things on you posts!!)

So here we are, second part of the post : the method I used that went SOOO easily it flabbergasted me :

1)      First, I positioned the piston fully backward, using an 8mm diameter long stem introduced inside the body of the pen. (I suppose any diameter will do provided it fit inside de pen and is large and flat at the end so as not to puncture the piston.)

2)      Then, I put the pen in my fridge for four hours. (Not the freezer : I wanted the pen nicely cold especially the inside, but not too cold as it could make it brittle).

After 4 hours then and without wasting time once the pen is out of the fridge :

3)      With the stem vertical on my table, once again positioned inside the pen against the piston, as much centred as possible.

4)      Using a hot HAIRDRYER positioned 5-6 cm away from the pen, I blowed hot air for less than ten seconds toward the top part of the pen (where the piston is), rotating the pen during that time.

5)      Then one hand stabilizing the stem, the other hand pulled the pen downward on the stem, using “slowly increasing force”.

As I wrote, I was so surprised how quickly It separated : hardly any force, it just happened as if it was lubricated!.

Here is a photo illustrating how I heated the outside. On the photo the piston is already out : I was expecting a disaster therefore I didn’t take the picture before.

Pistondisassembled-exempleheatingtheoutside.thumb.jpg.7dfddc12b9dc4424f13ce651f1de5a8e.jpg

Hope it wasn’t beginner’s luck : first time ever dismantling a pen!!

The idea is : contracting the whole pen with the cold, then dilating the outer shell with the heat…

Therefore diminishing greatly the friction at the interface of the two pieces.

That’s it. I hope it will be useful to someone.

the disassembled pen : 

60smontblanc149disassembled.thumb.JPG.08ae78ca71d70d0f4ab50930cde802c8.JPG

REMAINING PROBLEM : the screw extraction from the Piston Knob :

I still have a problem : I do not know how to dismantle the Screw from the piston knob :

I have read posts about the difficult removal of a small ring

My 60’s Piston Knob seem to differ from what I saw on different posts :

No little ring that could be removed…

One can see a brass piece, a little bit like a very small bullet shell with the screw coming through the bottom…(5 mm high?)

image.thumb.jpeg.903848b903d61d4d1b22e2b2497d75d5.jpeg  the shape I imagine of the brass piece

I have been unsuccessful to remove it.

Looking at the Piston Knob, one can notice :

Pistonknob-insideviewwithbrasspart.thumb.JPG.6e0f3efd366f6e6ec8c3d51ac23a01ec.JPG

The embedded dents that form a cross inside the knob

Pistonknob-limitbetweentwoparts.JPG.thumb.png.990f00f430088268c5dd0683d5b9e34a.png

The circular marking at the near end of the knob.

This, to me, would indicate an outside part that could be unscrewed from the inside using a special tool that goes into the Crossed den

However, I built the tool from a piece of wood, but could not unscrew anything even using quite a bit of force.

Could the little brass piece be of a shape more like this, with an outer part held in position by the two parts of the knob?

Brasspart-secondshapepossible.thumb.jpg.17c7053aa683f752849e54224d55a301.jpg

The screw of my pen must be changed. I absolutely need to dismantle the whole thing if I am to repair the pen.

If anybody had a clue about how to separate the Helix screw on these old piston knob it would help me very much

Thank you,

and sorry for the very large photos, I couldn't make them smaller.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eckiethump

• Pierrot

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I must admit, I have never seen the arrangement you have on your piston knob end. The helix holding collar, rather than "C" ring, I have very carefully bored out in the past, taking care not to build up too much heat.

Removal of the slip fit arrangement is and excellent idea. I have two of these barrels spare. Before I had those, I would not service these pens, advising sending to Osman Sumer for this. I have though, since serviced a few of them, knowing I had the spare if failure occurred.

et

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/