M1000 Needs a Nib Swap

OPG4711

I’ve got a wonderful Pelikan M1000 with a Fine nib. It is, quite frankly, the best writing fountain pen I’ve ever had! And it FLOWS!!! 

But I really need an EF nib because my writing isn’t big. I’ve looked online and Pelikan doesn’t offer this service. Can anyone here recommend a place? 

I’d also be willing to trade. Mine is the all black model and it’s in pristine condition. Not a scratch on it and it lives in it’s Pelikan leather case.

- OPG4711

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• dbs

• Karmachanic

• OPG4711

2 hours ago, OPG4711 said:

But I really need an EF nib because my writing isn’t big. I’ve looked online and Pelikan doesn’t offer this service.

https://www.pelikan-passion.com/int/experiencing-the-brand/pelikan-passion/choosing-the-right-nib

If you would like to install a nib of a different size, Pelikan offers you to have it done for you free of charge within the first four weeks after purchase …‹snip›… For further information, please contact your trusted specialty retailer, contact your local Pelikan sales organization, or click here to contact us directly.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

If you are outside the four week exchange window replacement nib units are available for purchase.  Easy to change as they simply screw in.  Or have it ground finer.

Add lightness and simplicate.

New nib unit can be purchased but as you’ve probably already seen, at a high price, of course. Nib tuning might be a more affordable option to consider. A good nib meister can adjust the nib flow at far less than the cost of a new nib. There are videos of people adjusting their nibs (at home) and even though it looks simple, I wouldn’t like to do that to M1000 nib. If you don’t know what you’re doing if more likely than not that the nib can be easily damaged. 

Nibmeisters are not 'expensive', even if it seems so....how much does it cost to go out for a few drinks?

You can also get it XXF, if you want skinny. Spiderwebs, and XXXF baby spiderwebs.

Suggest the cheap way out.... learn to write bigger.

Take two sheets of paper fold them so there are four sides. On each side write larger, until very large, then down again striving to find something 'in the middle'.

You so limit your self....semi-flex stubbed vintage nibs, in B or OB are quite delightful. And vintage nibs are 1/2 a width narrower so, an OBB is not a pure signature nib.

The modern post 97 nibs, are fat, double balled nibs (no clean line) ....one could go Cursive Italic with your F and get a clean line with some life in it. I doubt if you could see  CI in EF.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

On 2/4/2024 at 11:51 PM, OPG4711 said:

But I really need an EF nib because my writing isn’t big. I’ve looked online and Pelikan doesn’t offer this service. Can anyone here recommend a place? 

Line width of Pelikan M1000 EF is not thin at all, there's very little difference between EF and F. I have one F and 3 EFs. Not visible difference except, F uses more ink flow which causes skip issue and this is the only reason I choose EF later.

Pelikan EF writes like Montblanc B...

1 hour ago, dbs said:

Pelikan EF writes like Montblanc B...

Na, not even from Vintage when both Companies were similar...

IMO the modern MB B I have is a BB....or at the real fat border between modern B and BB.

I have a tear drop EF...(I asked Fritz Schrimph in Tubingen for the skinniest EF he had for my marbled browns 200 ...it is not the thinnest thing but it is thinner than the modern double ball tipping of Pelikan. NO, IT AIN'T....:yikes:

A 1990 Waterman Man200's F is as narrow, but Waterman was always a thin nib.

OK. just did a dirty pen test, dipped my EF dirty pens into a wet sponge to get the last of what ever ink was in them. There is of course variation between any nib size even by the same company.

Double ball EF nib on my Blue Pastel 200, is a tad narrower than the EF tear drop on my Pelikan marbled brown 200.:yikes:

These are vintage pens....'50-60's.

My vintage semi-flex Geha stub EF, lays between those two, Pelikans.:huh:

My MB 32, semi-flex is eyeballed to a EF, was narrowest.

To have a MB that is marked a B and is narrow...did you get it with the label on it? Or was it one of the few old time pens that were size marked.

European nibs outside of Aurora can not be compared to Japanese nibs which are a size narrower than marked. .

And the @ 1990 146 eyeballed to OB. was a Whole Lot Fatter than EF....It is the then normal width for a width, back then....a bit narrower than modern.

My 2006 Virginia Woolf ...modern.....and I'd read MB were reputed to be fatter than they once were....was fatter.

I had made a mistake when I swapped nibs by asking for a B over the M that was on it, by not saying middle of tolerance in it is a B=BB nib. with dry ink usable.

That M wrote to a B as expected, in the B&M on their poorer paper, at home on good paper it wrote to a M...:(

Always bring your own paper when buying a pen in a B&M.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

On 2/12/2024 at 12:09 PM, Bo Bo Olson said:

Na, not even from Vintage when both Companies were similar...

I cross calibrated Pelikan EF with Roting isograph. It is exact 1mm on paper. I cannot tell Montblanc before 2006, but modern 149 B is also 1mm line width on paper.

1 hour ago, dbs said:

I cross calibrated Pelikan EF with Roting isograph. It is exact 1mm on paper.

😮

The ‘EF’ is 1mm? What ink are you running through it that gives a 1mm-wide line?

I know that Pelikan nibs (especially on the M1000) can run wider and wetter than many other companies’ nibs, but your ‘EF’ sounds like it is seriously mis-labelled!

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

I don't have such tools, but do have an old trusty eyeball....which was why I was so shocked the Pelikan EF in double ball tipping was narrower than EF in the tear drop tipping.

I could expect both semi-flex EF's (Geha and eyeballed MB 32) to be a tad wider, in I still don't have a 'light Hand'. Semi-light only.

But all nibs are subject to tolerance/slop, and even those coming off the same conveyor belt one after each other as the same size will vary.....but not up to B from EF.

The main question is, do you still have the size patch on your MB to get a B size....and 1.0 does = B.

So Is you Pelian EF so sprung it goes B....?

8 hours ago, Mercian said:

What ink are you running through it

Pelikan makes a dry ink, so makes a wet nib.

If one runs some sort of wet Noodlers or Japanese ink, it could be wider....

I consider MB inks as sort of medium, a bit wetter than Lamy or Pelikan or the tad wetter Herbin, but not as wet as Waterman

What paper?

100% cotton will give a wider line, but should do  that for the narrow MB B.

I really don't expect modern MB's to run that narrow in B. Which was why I asked if your MB was size marked.

Of course I only have one example of a fat B=BB in my Virginia Woolf. 

As stated many spoke of MB as running fat compared to semi-vintage and vintage, before I bought that Woolf a decade ago.

Well, long story short. Pelikam M1000s made recent years have severe quality issue. The main one is skipping and hard to start (partially due to feeder design, feeder only touches nib at the very end part). I bought 4 M1000s last years all have the same problem. The working solution is, uses wet ink and EF nib.

But still, M1000 EF is close to 1mm width on paper, even with Montblanc ink. I have Montblanc 146 flex, 149 flex, they write the thin line exactly the EF width.

My main point here is, if M1000 F is too wider for you, EF won't solve the problem. You might need try a different brand.

17 minutes ago, dbs said:

if M1000 F is too wider for you

Get it ground to your specification.  Works for me.  That way I have the M1005 that I want with the line I want.   No skipping, no hard starts.  Parfait!

Add lightness and simplicate.

Baby bottom is a major cause of Pelikan skipping from over polishing the nib.....because so many people want butter smooth at all costs.....and skipping becomes a cost.

I think a of an 800 as a large pen...and don't use my 149.

The 149 wasn't a pen I was chasing but part of this live auction lot.

The 915 Hunter Toledo is also a large pen.

DaYPoQV.jpg

The Flexible Nib Factory has been threatening to make an ebonite feed for the M1000 for a few years; but no sign of it yet...(here's hoping!)