Paper recommendations

sddonlon

Hi!  I’m a bookbinder, and make my own illustrated journals.

I’m looking for paper recommendations.  Paper that’s fountain pen friendly as well as heavy/sturdy enough to take light watercolor washes (and won’t bleed or warp).

Thank you so much!!!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Claes

• Baggins

• sddonlon

• Azulado

Hi @sddonlon and welcome!

Where are you located? There is a vaste difference of what is available

in, say, the US, the East, and in Europe.

To me, your wish to do "light watercolour washes" sounds as the most problematic one...

Re fp friendly: try Stora Enso's 4CC, and HP Premium32.

Also, botanize among Clairefontaine's range, Fabiano, Magnani, and the like.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Talk to this young Korean woman, I'm sure she can clear up all your doubts. I watch many of her videos because she makes beautiful drawings mixing watercolor and fountain pen. She also reviews notebooks, inks and fountain pens.

https://www.youtube.com/@RomantistR

Clairefontaine/Rhodia 90gsm; Midori MD; Tomoe River both 52 and 68 gsm.

Regalia 100 gsm (I think), Iroful; Ayush; Mitsubishi bank paper, Apica; Tsubame; Graphilo; Yu-sari; B7 bulk; G Lalo…. and on….

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/14/2024 at 5:59 PM, Baggins said:

Clairefontaine/Rhodia 90gsm; Midori MD; Tomoe River both 52 and 68 gsm.

Regalia 100 gsm (I think), Iroful; Ayush; Mitsubishi bank paper, Apica; Tsubame; Graphilo; Yu-sari; B7 bulk; G Lalo…. and on….

Hi

Thank you

I had not heard of Mitsubishi Bank Paper, I have read the reviews and a supply is on its way

Your suggestion of Clairefontaine is exactly right for me, I have tried many notebooks in my life and the Clairefontaine Rhodia range is the only one for me.

I was in a blind testing organised by another forum, twenty people all over the world and we were given 10  samples of quality papers, including Tomoe River,  and asked to give comments,

Rhodia was #1 for all twenty testers.

If you can get your hands on one of these, Yamamoto, you can try out 16 (usually 18), types of japanese papers. Clairefontaine is a world of different papers. Rhodia is my goto paper, but they have many others. Don’t be fooled by them being the same weight. You also have other industrial european papers that work well with FP. Splendorgel, There are others but I would have to bury myself in google again. I prefer the japanese lightweight papers. For me the problem is getting them in Europe, because of shipping and taxation. 😩 Also different papers perform better with certain inks. For me it is fascinating. 

https://vanness1938.com/products/yamamoto-paper-fountain-pen-friendly-collection-new-edition?_pos=4&_sid=0efd2b29f&_ss=r

Z.

@Beechwood reported that

Rhodia was #1 for all twenty testers.

To me, Rhodia is far too skiddy.

My hand prefers a paper that has a slight tooht...

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Depending upon your preference, Arches, Fabriano, Magnani and Johannot full size, cover weight sheets might be what you are looking for. Also there are some platinum printing papers which are lighte weight and can withstand the washing process. As always I recommend Talas Bookbinding as a good starting point. If you dig around on their site, they have a wealth of information about the different papers they carry, and they are usually pretty helpful in making selections. HTH

Sizing for the paper can also affect how well ink absorbs as well as the watercolor. Most platinum printing papers are not sized IIRC.