You may find our "Waterman Identifier" useful ....

terim

We've realized over the years that a lot of people use our website for research, thanks to Google indexing our listings.  I'd never claim that we are a definitive source of information on Waterman, though we do our best, but there is a paucity of reference info out there, and so we set about organizing the pen models we've had in our catalog. We've broken Waterman pens into a variety of categories, roughly organized chronologically. Unlike our Sheaffer Identifier, these entries will link back to the original listing so that you can see our full description and all the photos.

Start here:  https://www.peytonstreetpens.com/guide-to-our-waterman-identifier/

Hope you find this helpful!

TERI

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• terim

• inkstainedruth

• Paul-in-SF

• I-am-not-really-here

Thank you for doing this.  Unfortunately I'm not finding the Waterman I picked up a few weeks ago at an estate sale.  I keep meaning to get the photos I took of it uploaded, but Life™ has intervened, and mostly not in a good way....  

My pen looks like this one I found on eBay, but none of the listings for similar looking pens give a model (a similar listing dated the pen to the 1980s).

I've crossed a whole bunch of models off the list because of the clip and the somewhat odd logo on the end cap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334798271475?hash=item4df38833f3:g:J1gAAOSw-zVkF8mg&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8KVoX0%2BfrsMXLwN4Tl%2BZZI97ESDksZLWXq2%2Ft1mpcfucfHhdbu%2FKnJ9IXt%2FLK6DpTpLRz%2FVeLQXEThJ4zyYHgw8oWTGF8Zopr%2FjY%2FZUT0p1XoeL69BsE73k31FjdQPABe65kWMhZd%2B%2FNpSHn5VhRy37CfWjJdVrmmwGElKQFWeU%2F816Cyja0ZfXuNxy4%2BTv3WuxvvqMsWeMCpi9CmC1i10iDUH4I5anll5I0GZHxG7dribYCTxTpkxtWs53KX7KTNMIFC5Ej2pTBomL5WNU%2FRuGLmbJSVhkXs9swR9lYLFijXB6ihiD41UGxs0YhEGr2Lg%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR_6g-aCAYg 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I picked up a few of those recently ..... one with a black section and one with a green section. We only put models in the identifier that we have sold in the past, and that's a model we tend to save for the $10 bin at the pen show or use as giveaways. But I'll let you know if I get info on what it is .......

1 minute ago, terim said:

I picked up a few of those recently ..... one with a black section and one with a green section. We only put models in the identifier that we have sold in the past, and that's a model we tend to save for the $10 bin at the pen show or use as giveaways. But I'll let you know if I get info on what it is .......

Thanks.  A guy in my local pen club said it MIGHT be an early Hemisphere, but all of those I've seen have the slanted cap finial.

But your website is at least a start....

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

7 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

Thank you for doing this.  Unfortunately I'm not finding the Waterman I picked up a few weeks ago at an estate sale.  I keep meaning to get the photos I took of it uploaded, but Life™ has intervened, and mostly not in a good way....  

My pen looks like this one I found on eBay, but none of the listings for similar looking pens give a model (a similar listing dated the pen to the 1980s).

I've crossed a whole bunch of models off the list because of the clip and the somewhat odd logo on the end cap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334798271475?hash=item4df38833f3:g:J1gAAOSw-zVkF8mg&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8KVoX0%2BfrsMXLwN4Tl%2BZZI97ESDksZLWXq2%2Ft1mpcfucfHhdbu%2FKnJ9IXt%2FLK6DpTpLRz%2FVeLQXEThJ4zyYHgw8oWTGF8Zopr%2FjY%2FZUT0p1XoeL69BsE73k31FjdQPABe65kWMhZd%2B%2FNpSHn5VhRy37CfWjJdVrmmwGElKQFWeU%2F816Cyja0ZfXuNxy4%2BTv3WuxvvqMsWeMCpi9CmC1i10iDUH4I5anll5I0GZHxG7dribYCTxTpkxtWs53KX7KTNMIFC5Ej2pTBomL5WNU%2FRuGLmbJSVhkXs9swR9lYLFijXB6ihiD41UGxs0YhEGr2Lg%3D%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR_6g-aCAYg 

The pen in the ebay link - could be a Master.  70's era my guess.  (I thought the "loopy" W logo was gone in 1980.)

16 hours ago, I-am-not-really-here said:

The pen in the ebay link - could be a Master.  70's era my guess.  (I thought the "loopy" W logo was gone in 1980.)

We thought this was a Master .... it had an 18k nib, though.

https://www.peytonstreetpens.com/waterman-1970s-fountain-pen-cotele-master-brown-lacquer-medium-18k-nib-excellent-works-well.html?showHidden=true&ctk=34964ed4-2a97-4a9c-9bee-e10806239b9d

These brushed steel Watermans are super light and cheap.

On 5/26/2023 at 10:45 AM, terim said:

Thank you Teri. I'm not a big Waterman fancier myself, but the effort is certainly worthwhile.

I'm not either, (compared to, say, Parker) -- but the price of mine (ten bucks US) was right to my mind and it had a converter already installed when I got it.  Although I don't know yet how good a one the converter is.... it seems to be sort of a hybrid between a syringe fill and a twist fill, and does not have an ink window of any sort, being a solid brown plastic.

On 5/26/2023 at 12:45 PM, terim said:

We've realized over the years that a lot of people use our website for research, thanks to Google indexing our listings.  I'd never claim that we are a definitive source of information on Waterman, though we do our best, but there is a paucity of reference info out there, and so we set about organizing the pen models we've had in our catalog. We've broken Waterman pens into a variety of categories, roughly organized chronologically. Unlike our Sheaffer Identifier, these entries will link back to the original listing so that you can see our full description and all the photos.

Start here:  https://www.peytonstreetpens.com/guide-to-our-waterman-identifier/

TERI

Yes!  Very helpful!

A terrific resource Teri.

Thanks so much.