Wahl Eversharp Identification

checkrail

Not being very knowledgeable in Wahl Eversharp models, I would be grateful if those more expert could identify this pen.

Screenshot_20230521_224505_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230521_223906_Chrome.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• checkrail

• carola

• joss

• Paul-in-SF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is an odd model. But not a pen from Eversharp USA I think, even if the clip has a USA imprint. Maybe it is a production from Eversharp France or England? Do you know whether the pen has a barrel imprint?

Thank you, @joss. I have got a couple of close ups. The lever slot appears to have been punched through the barrel imprint, an unusual feature, or production error really. I cannot get that shot any clearer unfortunately. 

Screenshot_20230522_115227_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230522_115321_Chrome.jpg

2 hours ago, checkrail said:

The lever slot appears to have been punched through the barrel imprint, an unusual feature, or production error really.

That is remarkable, is it possible to read what was imprinted there? I do not recognize the word "Eversharp" in it.

That sure looks like an Eversharp adjustable nib though; and the imprint on the clip appears to be the standard Eversharp logo font, even if the nib style is not familiar to me. 

This might be a pretty rare item, a test or prototype that escaped out into the wild. We have a couple of Wahl-Eversharp experts on the board, maybe one of them will check in. I think that includes @Wahlnut

Thank you, @Paul-in-SF and @joss. I am now going to see it at closer quarters having had an offer accepted. I may be able to take some better pix, not that I am much of a photographer.

23 hours ago, Paul-in-SF said:

even if the nib style is not familiar to me. 

I meant "clip style" which may not have been obvious. 

Strange pen...

You know what it reminds me of? A Centropen Dream Pen where someone punched a lever slot into and changed the cap finial. 🤔

https://www.pinterest.at/pin/2885187246108837/

And... I think that when you turn the last picture upside down, you see the lower part of the "Centropen" imprint!

Rather a major frankenpen than a prototype.

Centropen 10012 Dream Pen_02.jpg

By the way, the Centropen Dream Pens are from Czechoslovakia and were made in the 1960s. Their filling system is a pretty wobbly kind of piston converter that is unremovably connected to the section. Which might be the reason why someone changed the filling system. And the clips are plastic painted with gold colour that has a tendency to chip off.

Beautiful pens and I love the colours and the finials but unfortunately they are very cheaply made. You may get them with a Ripet 14 karat gold nib though (like the one in my picture).

Do I read that correctly in the background that someone tries to sell that frankenpen as an Eversharp prototype from around 1945? 🤣 I don´t think they had injection molded plastic back then.

That similarity is a good catch. I can't read that inscription even after turning it upside down, but it could be Centropen I suppose. If so, there should be more below the lever; my pen of that type follows with the the model number 10014 and then 905 (which I don't know what that number refers to). It looks like they changed the section (as well as the nib) -- the "new" section would have had the sac nipple, which helps to make sense of the lever filler. Eversharp sections were friction fit I believe (all of mine are), while the Centropen section is threaded, but I guess they could have smoothed the threads inside the barrel to make the section fit. This theory might mean that punching the lever hole through the inscription was intentional rather than an accident.

It would be fascinating to hold that pen up against your pen in real life to compare. Also, it seems a lot of trouble to go to make a Frankenpen out of a Centropen. 

Theory: We have a broken Centropen, various spare parts and some spare time and the right tools at hand - let´s see what we can do and for how much it goes if we call it an experimental prototype. 🤷‍♀️

@checkrail Just out of curiosity - how much do they want for it?

And I can definitely see the Centropen imprint now - there is even the leading 10 of the 10012 or 10014 imprint to be seen beside it, the remaining digits having disappeared in the cutout for the end of the lever.

DSC_3793.jpg

Hopefully the buyer managed to negotiate a good price for it rather than the full asking price of heritage collectable .

I seriously doubt heritage collectable knew it was not an eversharp or they wouldn't have sold it as an "Extremely Rare Eversharp In Pearl Green Marble with Gold filled Trim. In Absolute MINT Condition". Who ever made it had done a very good job to not get caught by people that deals with lots of pens every day :( Especially passing a  franken pen as "mint" would take a lot of skill. 

If an expert can be tricked with such a franken pen what chance do we have :(

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:FoamJbG6OPAJ:www.heritagecollectables.com/wahl-eversharp/&cd=12&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=nz

£385?! Really?

And I am very sorry, but I when I see someone who holds a pen in their hand where the inscription is still readable and the material clearly identifiable as injection molded plastic just by the looks and feel to it, and who then proceeds to sell it as something it clearly isn´t, at a price in the 3 digit range, "expert" is not the term that comes to my mind.

Picture from the website in better quality (at least a bit better):

DSC_3793.jpg

fairly sure buyer should be able to get a refund.
I don't believe a store would simply risk their reputation on a single pen and not admit their mistake. 
once you know what it is , its a bit hard to not see it.

Carola, you nailed it indeed. I combined the pictures above and it is clearly the same imprint (upside down in the picture):

Untitled-1copy.jpg.d7b0d3fa8430a6e06d9a47770a8c5c00.jpg

It is odd that the seller did not notice this but it is always possible.

The adjustable nib n° 5 is a valuable piece but not worth £385.

This might even be a beautiful and nice to use pen. But selling it as a high priced Eversharp prototype is simply wrong when you are a professional pen shop. 🤷‍♀️

Thank you to all for the solution to the original enquiry. As I said, I do not have much knowledge of WE, as it is a recent interest.

The seller, with whom I have dealt for many years, is a nice guy, with a no-quibble return policy. I know I made oversights and mistakes in my professional life, and do not readily hold them against others.

• 2 weeks later...

Lurking in the background and enjoying the development of the conclusions reached.  FWIK, Wahl/WAHL-EVERSHARP/EVERSHARP/PARKER-EVERSHARP never made such a pen.  Compliments to the mechanic that adapted the body shell to accept the adjustable nib (definitely WAHL-EVERSHARP 1928-1936, , the clip and the lever fill conversion, but as others have concluded, it is simply a modified pen of other manufacture.  Interesting philosophical question: What percentage of a pen does it take to shift its origin to the maker of the parts used?  Value-wise the nib is worth more than the pen. So its a WAHLEVERSHARP nib surrounded by...LOL

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens