Random nib questions posed to AI bots

Gris Nuage

In the eternal quest for new toys, sorry, innovation, I asked a couple of AI tools about nibs.  Presented here in case anyone else thinks that a few of the ideas are at least 'interesting'.  

Bing:  

To design a new style of fountain pen nib, you could try to combine some features of existing types or create something entirely different. For example, you could:

• Make a nib with a triangular tip that creates three different line widths depending on the angle of the pen.
  • Make a nib with a spiral shape that creates a textured and variable line width.
  • Make a nib with a hole in the middle that allows ink to flow through and create a dotted line.
  • Make a nib with a curved tip that creates a smooth and elegant line.

Bard:

Here is a new style of fountain pen nib that I have created:

The "Flicker" Nib

The Flicker Nib is a new type of fountain pen nib that allows for a unique and expressive writing experience. It is made from two thin, flexible tines that are held together by a small metal spring. When the pen is held at a slight angle and the nib is pressed down, the tines spread apart, creating a broad line. When the pen is lifted, the tines come back together, creating a fine line. This allows the user to create a variety of line widths and textures, making it ideal for calligraphy, drawing, and other creative writing applications.

The Flicker Nib is made from high-quality stainless steel and is available in a variety of sizes. It is compatible with most fountain pens and can be easily installed. The Flicker Nib is a great way to add a new dimension to your fountain pen writing experience.

Here are some of the benefits of using the Flicker Nib:

• It allows for a unique and expressive writing experience.
  • It is great for calligraphy, drawing, and other creative writing applications.
  • It is made from high-quality stainless steel and is available in a variety of sizes.
  • It is compatible with most fountain pens and can be easily installed.

If you are looking for a new and exciting way to write with a fountain pen, the Flicker Nib is the perfect choice for you.

Abair ach beagan is abair gu math e.

Say but little and say it well.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• txomsy

• dipper

• Gris Nuage

As Goya said "The dream of reason produces monsters".

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

• 2 weeks later...

@Gris Nuage Interesting that the first AI (Bing) suggestion sounded an awful lot like a zoom nib (like on my Sailor Pro-Gear Slim) or the higher end Sailor ones (forget what those nibs are called -- I want to say "naginata" but I may be thinking of the wrong word).  

Not sure what to make of the other "suggestions".  I'm trying to envision how the "spiral nib" would work (and failing).  The third suggestion (the nib with a hole in it)?  That just sounds like a bad plan all around -- especially after the Red Shadow Wave decided to burp ink onto the page a couple of times the other morning....  And the fourth one?  I'm envisioning "baby's bottom" tipping (NOT a good thing...). :(

As for the other AI (Bard) suggestion?  Sounds like advertising for a product already out there, and the AI is just spouting the ad copy it found online somewhere....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Current AI systems are hopelessly lacking in common-sense or practical engineering know-how.

I took the question to chatGPT.

ME... 

"Please suggest some new creative ideas for designs of fountain pen nibs. I am looking for new design ideas that would be significantly different from any nibs that are currently available from pen manufacturers."

chatGPT...

"Geometric Nibs: Create nibs shaped in a variety of geometric shapes, such as hexagons, triangles, or even star shapes.

Nano-Reed Nibs: Incorporate tiny reed-like structures into the design of the nib to produce more ink flow.

Flexible Nibs: Create a flexible nib that can bend or flex for added control and line variation.

Ripple Nibs: Construct nibs with a ruffled ripple effect for a unique watercolor-like effect.

String Nibs: Design nibs that have small, string-like structures integrated into them to produce a variety of effects and line styles.

3D Printed Nibs: Utilize 3D printing technology to craft intricate and elusive nib designs that can’t be achieved through traditional manufacturing methods.

Glow-In-The-Dark Nibs: Add fluorescent pigments to the nib to make them glow in the dark.

Mixed Materials Nibs: Combine metal, wood, acrylic or other materials to create a more unique look that stands out from traditional nib designs.

Organic Nibs: Create nibs with a natural, organic look. These might have various tweaks in the shape that will give it an organic look.

Interactive Nibs: Design nibs that interact with the paper through pushing and pulling movements to create a more dynamic writing experience."

That is because they can only feed on what has already been published. But they are pretty good at this.

As more people contribute and publish their ideas to the Internet, AIs will have more ideas to offer to you. That they never recognize the origin of their suggestions may raise interesting legal and ethical issues when one copies/plagiarizes another one's ideas without acknowledgement. Or when their suggestions are simply wrong or misguided.

There is still a long way to go. IMHO promoting AIs for general use has been an irresponsible, ruthless proposition, most likely to get others to discover and pay for their shortcomings for the promoters without having to take any responsibility. We take all the risk and they (AI promoters) reap all the benefits. Nice business model.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

AI does have some uses.  I saw a story on the news last night about a guy who had been paralyzed from the waist down after a motorcycle accident.  Doctors in Switzerland implanted AI modules in his brain and lower back and he can now walk again, just mostly by thinking about it (the modules are replacing his neural connections that were damaged/severed in the accident.

But it also has its downside.  A friend of mine had some of her artwork stolen off her website by hackers, who don't give a rat's (bleep) about things like international copyright laws. :(

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."