Mammoth ivory and wood fountain pens

Pierre---

Hi all,

After showing plain mammoth tusk pens, here are some more recently made of rare woods (snakewood or burls including Honduras rosewood and amboyna) with ivory fittings. Caps are fully lined with acrylic acetate with an O-ring that butts against the section to prevent drying. Enjoy !

IMG_5303.thumb.JPG.f6566818bf0d6e68a54204a3ed28bbd4.JPG

Amboyna burl, and plenty of rings :

IMG_5284.thumb.JPG.89a130450703ce4f52fbc78c230f9537.JPG

Thuya burl from Marroco:

IMG_20230425_153852.thumb.jpg.dfa8591937d91eb2e832c1e17dee632e.jpg

The beautiful rays of mammoth :

IMG_5289.thumb.JPG.d4fd9cc6c26ec9998647123166184b65.JPG

IMG_5249.thumb.JPG.d1f1300bed0ebda747e28c3ca6730e19.JPG

The acrylic lining before insertion into the cap, less than 1 mm thin:

IMG_4114.thumb.JPG.0f19c8b7b062c262b20bbedbc5111418.JPG

Etsy Web shop: Rue du Stylo

Instagram: Rue du Stylo

Pinterest: Rue du Stylo

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pierre---

• PAKMAN

• nigelg

• jchch1950

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Beautiful! Wonderful work!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Beautiful work I agree. Though I recall there being talk over the last few years about regulating the trade in mammoth ivory as well?

Yesterday is history.

Tomorrow is a mystery.

Today is a gift.

That's why it's called the present

The pens are beautiful .  The mammoth ivory gives them a so special meaning and exclusivity.The acrylic lining is some useful to keep the pen ready to write and to protect the cap from ink stains; but is the section cover with some resin to keep the an accidental ink leak from staining it?

8 hours ago, jchch1950 said:

The pens are beautiful .  The mammoth ivory gives them a so special meaning and exclusivity.The acrylic lining is some useful to keep the pen ready to write and to protect the cap from ink stains; but is the section cover with some resin to keep the an accidental ink leak from staining it?

Thank you. The section is impregnated with a mixture of special resin and clear oil that should prevent most staining.

And about trade, it is sort of regulated, that is forbidden in a few states in US, and in UK. But there is some interrogations because of global warming melting the permafrost, and because the more mammoth ivory is on the market, the less elephant's will be.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is one I made 15 years ago.  Genuine Mammoth ivory with a plain rhodium plated 18ct gold nib 

The pen is a plunger filler and is made internally of rhodium plated sterling silver throughout to protect the silver

20130825_235151.jpg

20130808_104853.jpg

20130910_112653.jpg

20130806_134455.jpg

20130825_170900-1.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hi Ben,

In my experience, snakewood cracks when lined with metal: the slightest dilatation of the metal has dramatic effects. Since I made plastic sleeves, or do not sleeve it at all, I never had any crack. Even when carrying it daily in my chest pocket during a hot summer or near the seashore. A lot of violin bows are made of snakewood, with heavy use and no cracks.

About density, I just love it; I can't make threads as perfect as with other woods (African blackwood, LV and boxwood  for instance), but they are far from bad.