Pelikan Hubs - Friday September 22, 2023 at 6:30pm your time zone.

fireant

1 hour ago, Penguincollector said:

I got in right away and was able to register, but just now realized that it falls on my husband’s birthday and I can’t go. That’s what happens when you read emails before coffee.

Exactly the same situation here 😀 

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fireant

• LizEF

• carola

• inkstainedruth

23 minutes ago, carola said:

Well... why not take your husbands with you?

He is on board! 

Party on Saturday. 

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

2 hours ago, carola said:

Well... why not take your husbands with you?

Mine wants to go surfing that day, hours away from the hub. The ocean has its own rewards.

Top 5 of 23 currently inked pens:

Namiki Origami Tradition maki-e Penguin F, Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku

Sailor X Sakazaki Penguin Pro Gear Slim MF, Sailor Manyo Konagi

Lamy 2000 EF, Diamine Purple Bow

Platinum Hibiscus SF short-long, Platinum Green

Indigo Bronze TWSBI Eco 1.1 Stub, De Atramentis Columbia Blue-Copper 

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

13 minutes ago, Penguincollector said:

Mine wants to go surfing that day, hours away from the hub. The ocean has its own rewards.

Surfing-penguin.jpg

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

Surfing-penguin.jpg

😍😍😍🐧

Top 5 of 23 currently inked pens:

Namiki Origami Tradition maki-e Penguin F, Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku

Sailor X Sakazaki Penguin Pro Gear Slim MF, Sailor Manyo Konagi

Lamy 2000 EF, Diamine Purple Bow

Platinum Hibiscus SF short-long, Platinum Green

Indigo Bronze TWSBI Eco 1.1 Stub, De Atramentis Columbia Blue-Copper 

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

On 5/6/2023 at 9:45 AM, Penguincollector said:

I got in right away and was able to register, but just now realized that it falls on my husband’s birthday and I can’t go. That’s what happens when you read emails before coffee.

Lol just sign up, if you are who I think you are, I can hold the swag for you til the next pen club meet up.

• 4 weeks later...

Umm... yes. I just learned that there is going to be NO Pelikan Hub in all of Austria. There was meant to be only one (in Vienna), but evidently there were less than 7 participants.

🤬

8 hours ago, carola said:

Umm... yes. I just learned that there is going to be NO Pelikan Hub in all of Austria. There was meant to be only one (in Vienna), but evidently there were less than 7 participants.

🤬

Ouch, I don't know what the exact requirement is but yeah, I think its at least 7 and someone to volunteer as a hubmaser.

I don´t know how or why, but Vienna, Austria seems to be a registered Pelikan Hub location now. 🤷‍♀️

I guess, I will be going then after all.

Is anybody else here who registered for Vienna?

For the first time we will be getting one in Jacksonville, Florida.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

• 2 months later...

The Pelikan Hub event really has become quite the event, one I am surprised has lasted as long as it has.  The cost of the event and value of social marketing to stimulate sales is the behind the scenes facts I would enjoy seeing a glimpse of.

From organizing Toronto Hub in year 1 to hosting in Regina and later Saskatoon I have enjoyed the most the extra sharing hub participants do.  Last year was the most frugile with no inks and everyone stepped up and shared ink samples and bottles of ink for the draws, along with pens, paper and loads of laughter and smiles.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday´s Pelikan Hub in Vienna was a lot of fun and we were about 20 to 25 people enjoying ourselves and the fountain pens everybody brought with them. Also the location was a very pleasant pub with really nice staff.

And I found myself sitting right beside @InesF whom I had never met before and didn´t know would come to the Pelikan Hub. Pretty funny when someone you only know as an avatar and written words suddenly sits beside you in person. 😄

I was actually surprised at this year's Pittsburgh Hub -- not nearly as many people as who signed up for it actually showed.  

I was happy to get a bottle of Edelstein Rose Quartz (which is admittedly a little on the pale side on the page -- even coming out of the B nib on my M405 Stresemann -- but is a really pretty color nonetheless.  And apparently Endless Pens sent a bunch of NOS c/c pens (not sure of the model) packaged up with some stickers and a discount coupon on any Pelikan product ordered from them until the end of October.  Got to schmooze with both SCN regulars and some new folks, and apparently making a gluten free pie crust made several people very happy.  My husband puttered in the lounge next to the classroom at Pitt where our Hub was held, mostly dealing with food-related stuff from the pop-up (even though technically he wasn't signed up for it).

I was bummed that I didn't win anything in the raffle of stuff donated by a local stationery store (although, admittedly, did I REALLY need a third -- or 4th at this point -- bottle of Edelstein Star Ruby?) and of course completely forgot to take a photo of the "bird stash" I have at this point: a large glazed blue Pelikan stand; three small ones (gold, white, and blue -- I keep hoping someday I can track down a silver one); two small Wade Whimsey pelicans, a white plush toy one that I picked up somewhere along the line, and of course, smack in the middle of the table where the sign-up banner was draped was the BIG stuffed one (an estate sale find that is probably about a foot long and which has a Velcro tab felt beak that opens up -- but NO, I'm NOT drilling holes in the felt to make it a pen holder like someone suggested...).

All in all, a really good time (as usual) although I was really pretty fried by the time we got there, because of having to suddenly make pie crust that morning (I had originally planned to make one gluten free pie, and then make another one using the pre-bought pie shells from the grocery store -- only to discover that they had gone MOLDY in the -- unopened -- package in my fridge... :sick:; package is now in the kitchen trash can, still unopened...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

On 9/23/2023 at 8:12 PM, carola said:

Yesterday´s Pelikan Hub in Vienna was a lot of fun and we were about 20 to 25 people enjoying ourselves and the fountain pens everybody brought with them. Also the location was a very pleasant pub with really nice staff.

And I found myself sitting right beside @InesF whom I had never met before and didn´t know would come to the Pelikan Hub. Pretty funny when someone you only know as an avatar and written words suddenly sits beside you in person. 😄

The pleasure was all mine, @carola! Indeed, reading posts from somebody in the forum you never met is different from reading posts from a person you sat side by side at a table.

Thank you for the nice talks and for contributing to a relaxed evening! :) There were a lot of beautiful pens to see (and to test) ;) 

I'm looking forward to the next meeting which is maybe before the Pelikan Hub 2024! 😊

One life!

We had 24 registered this year in Salt Lake City from what I heard. About 15 ish registered people showed up (or signed the sign in sheet our hubmaster had). A local grocery store in the downtown area (15+ miles one way for me) that has a spacious area. Only downside is the lighting isn't very good.  Smallish canned lights, although natural light is pretty good as the nearby windows are south facing. When taking the group photo at the end it made things interesting as the sun had set. 

I won a bottle of Ferris Wheel Press Writing Desk and a sampler of Yamamoto Fountain Pen Friendly papers in a drawing. (~16 papers about 5 sheets each, all or mostly all Japanese) There were 4 or 5 winners I believe. 

The Hubmaster brought a bunch of Birmingham inks. I brought home fills or samples of the following

Emerald Fusion 

Hot Rolled Steel 

Salmon Hors D'oeuvre 

Shortleaf Pine

Cornflower 

There were some others that interested me, but perhaps at the next meetup. Sounds like there will e one in October. 

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I'm terribly ashamed: I got lost in the public transportation system and after two hours I took back home a taxi. 😪 I will have to wait one year for the next Pelikan Hub.