Diamine Candy Cane

Nellie

The ink comes in the 50 ml Inkvent bottle. This is what it looks like on good quality recycling & cheap copy paper as well as my review:

IMG_20230430_131124.thumb.jpg.1a536c55984994be16c8dd03a48e33c7.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nellie

• yazeh

• inkstainedruth

• LizEF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:)  Very nice review, @Nellie!  Thank you.  Can't blame you for buying for the bottle - love those inkvent bottles.  I'm surprised how well this performs on the copy paper - either your copy paper is great, or this ink does really well there!

Thank you @LizEF! I don't know, I think it's really bad quality paper. Most inks feather & bleed through, IIRC (I can check when I'm at home). I was definitely surprised at how well the Candy worked, especially as it's a Diamine ink. Where I made that "x" there was a bit of bleedthrough, because I went over that twice.

Great, fun review @Nellie :thumbup: A red ink that behaves well, that's amazing. Have you tried cleaning the fountain pen after? Traditionally these inks are difficult to clean :)

Thank you @yazeh! No, I haven't, yet. Usually I'm not too bothered, though. Most of my pens have some discolouration/staining somewhere. I don't really mind (and I have to use red for some things).

Bleedthrough compared to other inks on the same cheap copy paper. I'd say - aside from Noodler's Fox Red the Candy Cane - on the right - does best. Maybe that's just because it's lighter than the other colours?! Idk.

All of the nibs are fairly wet, and the other inks are (top to bottom) Noodler's Green & some Diamine Kelly, a mix of all Metzger & Mendle inks to get a blue-black, the green mix again from my slightly drier Kaweco, M&M turquoise with a bit of D. Kelly.

IMG_20230501_002102.thumb.jpg.f3bfca282490f4de983e00aeb7c5cfce.jpg

Edited to add that all of the other inks (again, aside from Fox) feathered more. I can see almost no feathering from the Candy.

Is it my imagination?  Or does this ink have some sheen to it?  

As if I need Yet Another™ red ink.... :headsmack:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

22 hours ago, Nellie said:

Thank you @yazeh! No, I haven't, yet. Usually I'm not too bothered, though. Most of my pens have some discolouration somewhere. I don't really mind (and I have to use red for some things).

Yep. We all need to use all shades for something ;) Glad I'm not the only one whose relaxed about these things :) But often times red/pink inks take a long time to clean/ flush etc. 

You're saying that Fox Red does slightly less better than Candy cane? 

3 hours ago, yazeh said:

You're saying that Fox Red does slightly less better than Candy cane? 

Idk, I'd say they're the same bleedthrough/feathering-wise on that specific bad copying paper.

I flush my red ink pens just the same as any other. If some staining remains, so what? The pen will still work fine. I will update here, though, once I've cleaned Candy out of the Kultur, i.e. a demonstrator 😄

16 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

Is it my imagination?  Or does this ink have some sheen to it?  

As if I need Yet Another™ red ink.... :headsmack:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I see none (which is a good thing in my book. I must be the only fountain pen user left who doesn't get this new sheen/shimmer/whatever craze at all. I've always considered it a weakness in an ink if it accidentally, as it used to be, sheened, e.g. the sickly beige/yellowish sheen both Pelikan and Lamy 'red' used to throw up 🙈). This is one of the Inkvent "standard" inks too - I really should have mentioned that in the review right away!

The ink behaves and stays one colour once it's dry.

48 minutes ago, Nellie said:

Idk, I'd say they're the same bleedthrough/feathering-wise on that specific bad copying paper.

Cool!

48 minutes ago, Nellie said:

I flush my red ink pens just the same as any other. If some staining remains, so what? The pen will still work fine. I will update here, though, once I've cleaned Candy out of the Kultur, i.e. a demonstrator 😄

I don't care about the stains either :D I wasn't clear enough. Sorry.  I meant some inks like Skrip Red takes ages to clean, unless you use a cleaning solution. :)

14 minutes ago, yazeh said:

I meant some inks like Skrip Red takes ages to clean, unless you use a cleaning solution. :)

Does it? I've only ever bought it in cartridges because I needed those for my various Sheaffers that don't fit converters. I didn't notice anything untoward I can remember now, except for: the cartridges themselves would invariably be stained and stay stained.

Wasn't Skrip Red one of Binder's 'safe inks', even?

Thank you for sharing the writing from the Candy Cane ink. I love Christmas things, so Candy Cane is right up there. I bought Diamine Blue edition Ho Ho Ho.  Next time I’m shopping, I’ll look for a sample of this. Besides Ho Ho Ho in red, I have Montblanc Corn Poppy Red, Sheaffer red, and some mostly reds like De Atramentis Kermesin red (labeled as Mark Twain) and J Herbin Rouge Opera plus the shimmer Rouge Hematite. Pelikan Edelstein Star Ruby is another close to red. Most of mine have that are close to red lean pink. Ho Ho Ho leans to orange. 

Posted Image

Hi @Misfit, HoHoHo was my second choice actually. Rouge Opera and various De Atramentis reds/burgundies (can't remember their names) I've tried at some point in the past as well.

15 hours ago, Nellie said:

I must be the only fountain pen user left who doesn't get this new sheen/shimmer/whatever craze at all….

Ditto. So we‘re both in the same ink boat. 

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

15 hours ago, Nellie said:

Does it? I've only ever bought it in cartridges because I needed those for my various Sheaffers that don't fit converters. I didn't notice anything untoward I can remember now, except for: the cartridges themselves would invariably be stained and stay stained.

Wasn't Skrip Red one of Binder's 'safe inks', even?

Oh safe it is. It just a pain to clean. It took me two, three days to take out that red dye out :D

Absolutely @lapis! (I don't even like shading, though 🥴. What about you?)

And have you found a way of excluding these inks in the search criteria of online shops when looking for ink?? I've only seen pages where you can choose those inks but not exclude them.

See @yazeh, I wouldn't even have tried, beyond regular flushing. That's what I meant. I'm sure the patina on my For the Doll's nib would come off if I made some effort, and I don't even know what ink left it (guessing mostly Noodler's Fox for the nib and Diamine Syrah for the stained cartridge, but no idea, really). The pen works exceptionally well, still 🙂.

IMG_20230502_170842.thumb.jpg.60ea72d631754e951eb57b12dddbeaca.jpg

@Nelliethanks. For me it's the feed. I flush as many time as possible and normally let the pen soak in water for half day. With pink/red ink. It takes me 2/3 day until the feed is clean, unless I use pen cleaning solution.

@yazehI think we have a different definition of 'clean'. That pen's (ebonite) feed is reddish, too, but ink easily flows through, so to me it's clean/clean enough. Oh, and the water I flushed through must have remained clear at the end!

Will pay more attention after cleaning out the Candy Cane from the Kultur, though!

On 5/2/2023 at 12:06 PM, Nellie said:

@yazehI think we have a different definition of 'clean'. That pen's (ebonite) feed is reddish, too, but ink easily flows through, so to me it's clean/clean enough. Oh, and the water I flushed through must have remained clear at the end!

Will pay more attention after cleaning out the Candy Cane from the Kultur, though!

Yep @Nellie,  you're right! My worst was the now defunct Skrip Red, Taccia Momo Pink and J Herbin Rose Cyclamen ;)

• 2 months later...