Fountain Pen Revolution 14K Ultra Flex Nib

Nhartist40

I just reviewed the new Fountain Pen Revolution 14k Ultra Flex nib on my YouTube Drawing with Fountain Pens channel.

I really am impressed with the nib. I compare it to the steel version and it is an improvement. It bounces back quickly and really draws beautifully. I was able to use it to get very fine lines and lines that approach broad. But what is wonderful is how well the ebonite feed keeps up. When I draw with it there is no skipping. However, it is a bit scratchy as a pen for writing because it is a true extra-fine and like the Pilot Falcon extra-fine, it has a lot of feedback when writing. It might be great for calligraphy, but I don't do calligraphy. It doesn't come cheap, but FPR often has sales with at least 20% off. The pen itself--an ebonite Himalaya V1, is not particularly great. It is reasonably comfortable but a little rough in its finish, particularly at the edge of the cap. An the converter is a cheap plunger type that I don't like. But the nib is outstanding!!

I have attached two drawings that I think shows the versatility of the nib.  It is hard to describe, but this is the first flex pen that I have used that I feel really feel does subtle cross-hatching.  Keep in mind that I have two Waterman vintage pens and several of the Pilot flex pens (912 FA, 743 FA, and the Falcon SEF).  When I use it without pressure the line seems as fine at the Platinum 3776 extra ultra fine nib, which is really fine, and yet it also does lines that are broad and there is no skipping with drawing.  I cannot judge its performance for doing Spencerian or Copperplate writing.

You can see my review at 

Fantasy Tree FPR 4 22 2023.jpg

Woods FPR 4 23 2023.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nhartist40

• WalterC

• LoveBigPensAndCannotLie

• Horseflesh

Wow, that seems great for drawing. I was however not too impressed with the nib's performance in the writing sample, it seemed like the flow was a little inconsistent and had some skipping. I don't have one of these in gold but I have a few of the steel ultra flex and I found that their writing performance was also a little sloppy. 

I'm for sure not an artist but I do some doodling in my spare time and I find that the nibs I prefer for drawing are completely different than the nibs I prefer for writing. Do you find the same is true for yourself? Thanks for the detailed review! Your art is wonderful.

That is a beautiful drawing.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 1 month later...

Really nice. I just ordered a Jaipur V2 with the 14k Ultra Flex nib, your review gave me quite a bit of encouragement :) I only write with it thought.

I was reluctant because it is quite expensive, especially adding EU import tax of about 30% to the order, but I already really like  FPRs steel ultra flex. Like you, I also have the Pilot FA nibs and others, and the FPR ultraflex nib has a special quality. It gives so much flex so easily. I am quite thrilled to see how the 14k version performs.

I hope it works out for you.  I really like the nib, but I am not quite so enthusiastic about the ebonite pen I chose.  It is a bit too light and not well finished.  So I think you made a good chose with the Jaipur V2--saves you a bit of money.   The import tax sure is steep!  Does it come with the ebonite feed?  I have found that is really important with the FPR flex nibs.

Don't be shy if the pen doesn't work well--Kevin, the owner is very good at responding to issues and he makes sure you are happy--at least in my experience.  The pens are super affordable, but they do sometimes have quality issues, but they make up for it with the customer service.

Jonathan

Those pens are make by indian maker https://kanpurwriters.com/ but they are -some times- inconsistent in the quality control (gold nibs tend to be the best). Good that Kevin solves that issue for you with the rebranded Kanwrite in USA. 

I use Kanwrite Legacy model with #6 Gold Ultraflex EF as my daily writer at home and feels a lot like yours. Quite similar to that but bigger (similar to KOP size) and more ink capacity.  I suggest you to look for the Titanium Fude from Kanwrite + Kanwrite Heritage. It's a low quality pen but writes like a dream and will really complement your great drawings. I think you can order only the nibs with housing and ebonite feed for #5.5 size directly from Kanwrite and will be quite inexpensive: the BB Zoom, the BB and the Fude are a joy.

My FPR Himalaya v2 with Ultra Flex does flex well, but I cannot get the feed to work right. It starts hard every time, the first stroke always fails... Even after a very short pause. Once the ink is flowing it keeps up fine. 

I have tried heat setting the nib and one of their other feeds, but I can't get it sorted out. If I can I think it will be awesome. 

I have a Himalaya V2 with gold ultraflex ordered; tracking says it will be here Friday. I'll give my opinion once I use it a bit.