Noodler's Dostoyevsky is a bulletproof ink, belonging to the Russian series. Note Russian series are more expensive than Noodler's normal line up. 

After the De Atramentis Artist/ Document Cyan and Turquoise disaster reviews, I was weary of trying another permanent blue. To my surprise Noodler’s Dostoyevsky was “quite good” compared to the above, i.e. it's very usable with the good pen/ paper combo. 

A bit about Dostoyevsky (1821-1881). He’s one the greatest, if not greatest Russian novelist of all times. 

800px-Vasily_Perov_-_%D0%9F%D0%BE%D1%80%

His mother died when he was young and his father, a doctor was killed by one his surfs, when he was about 17, about which time his epileptic attacks started. It marked his literature. In his youth he was condemned to death by firing squad, for belonging to a political movement. His sentence was commuted at the last moment (detailed in his novel, The idiot )to 4 years in Siberia, which were described in the harrowing The House of the Dead. 

Dostoyevsky was addicted to Gambling, , which inspired his Gambler. 

His masterpiece Crime and Punishment, about a young man who commits murder for all the good reasons, and his magnum opus The Brothers Karamazov, which I haven't read. 

Now for the ink. This is a legible turquoise ink. I enjoyed journaling many pages with it. 

large.389081482_Chroma-Dosto.jpeg.a6f5cf8f58638e72a3bb73634285e68c.jpeg

I forgive a lot of things in permanent inks. What I don’t like are long dry times and bleed through. This ink fares quite well.  

It’s not a perfect ink. Far from that. It’s not very lubricated. So, if you don’t like feedback and use Ef/F nibs it's not for you. I enjoyed it best with Safari M/B nibs. It can create wooly lines if feed is primed, nib B/ Double broad. This ink needs good paper. There's some faint ghosting on Tomoe River but it worked flawlessly on Rhodia and Midori. 

However, I won't recommend it with a wet stub/ fude nib. It'll bleed through. Also, with the semi-flex, I really pushed it to the limit and there was some bleed through. 

Would I buy a bottle? If I wanted a permanent turquoise, maybe. 

Writing samples:

All quotes are by Dostoyevsky. 

large.657037133_TomoeRiver.jpeg.914e5d9d4b26d1f47ae6b86c93b5914d.jpeglarge.Rhodia.jpeg.80900c78d5f0865599adfe0e2e49d053.jpeglarge.Midori.jpeg.e32dfc7cf9d4c0cc5d49dc71a9572028.jpeg

You can see it doesn't like very much  Hammermill White, 20lb paper. These lines were written with EF/F/M nibs. 

large.2116857093_CHeap2.jpeg.a6aebe175f839949278774f57a5e0636.jpeg

Watertest:

Left side was held under running water. A bit of ink was washed out. But most of the ink stayed put. 

large.water.jpeg.077a40da3a545bec81315bc5773e8187.jpeg

As usual I had some fun doing a little sketch. This is done on a Fabriano Watercolor paper. 

It was inspired by a Gaube Lake, a high altitude Lake in the Pyrenees, France. 

Inks used 

Sky: Kakimori Karari for the sky

Gutenberg Urkundentinten G!0 IG ink

Kakimori Kurun

And Dostoyevsky for the lake. 

spacer.png

I use a bit of bleach on Dostoyevsky. Where you see a small triangle on the right side. Under UV light, the triangle changes colour.

large.AD53EFFB-2035-4479-989D-D0D7807A3787_1_201_a.jpeg.cb611cf5d7fd759bd223d6a317c979e8.jpeg

If I get around to it, I'll post some photos and comparison with other turquoises. 

· Pens used: Pilot Elite (Ef) Lamy Safari (Ef/F/M/B), Soennecken Schulfuller S4, Jinhao 450 Fude nib

· What I liked: Writing with a medium/stub nibs. Easy cleaning for most pens. 

· What I did not like: I like turquoise in general, but not for inks. 

· What some might not like: Woolly lines with broad nibs. Relative dryness. It needs good paper. Longish dry time. 

· Shading: Not much.  

· Ghosting: I would say, it was more than acceptable on good paper. 

· Bleed through: Yes, on cheap paper

· Flow Rate: Excellent

· Lubrication: Dryish. It’s best with Medium/ Broad nibs. 

· Nib Dry-out: None.

· Start-up: None.

· Saturation: Not saturated. 

· Shading Potential: Faint

· Sheen: None.

· Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Yes, a primed broad nib on some papers.

· Nib Creep / “Crud”: No.   

· Staining (pen): No

· Clogging: No. 

· Cleaning: Quite easy. Though, I would put it in a pen where you can take the section a part. 

· Water resistance: Very good. The excess ink came off, but the rest was stable. 

· Availability: 3 oz/90 ml bottles.

Please don't hesitate to share your experience, writing samples or any other comments. The more the merrier  :)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yazeh

• LizEF

• inkstainedruth

• InesF

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, @yazeh!   Dostoyevsky is probably underrated as an author (even though he's highly acclaimed).  Been too long since I read anything by him, so I should probably find an eBook and read some more.

The best way to keep a prisoner from escaping is to make sure he never knows he's in prison.

Ain't that the truth!  The guy was way ahead of his time, at least in some ways.

Love your little landscape! :)  And the moonlit version is very cool. Turquoise inks aren't really my jam, so I'm not likely to be buying any of these, but I really appreciate the reviews.

1 minute ago, LizEF said:

Thanks, @yazeh!   Dostoyevsky is probably underrated as an author (even though he's highly acclaimed).  Been too long since I read anything by him, so I should probably find an eBook and read some more.

Me too. I'm tempted to read The Brothers Karamazov, but I'm not sure if I have patience of my younger years, when I devoured novels. 

Ain't that the truth!  The guy was way ahead of his time, at least in some ways.

He was, so wise. 

Love your little landscape! :)  And the moonlit version is very cool. Turquoise inks aren't really my jam, so I'm not likely to be buying any of these, but I really appreciate the reviews.

I prefer a view of turquoise lake or sea, rather than turquoise ink :D

3 minutes ago, yazeh said:

I prefer a view of turquoise lake or sea, rather than turquoise ink :D

:lol:  Me and you both!

Seems a bit too light to be legible on most papers.  But thanks for the review.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

5 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

Seems a bit too light to be legible on most papers.  But thanks for the review.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Surprisingly it's quite legible :)

large.IMG_1842.JPG.35d410ada8bbb05748cf4a298791f1a8.JPG

Thank you @yazeh for introducing this ink and for connecting with some facts about the person F. Dostojewski! 👍

I have no strong affinity to permanent or archival inks - I think they sacrifice some otherwise good ink properties for becoming permanent. In contrast, novels from Dostojewski are, in German translation ;), always a good read. I was very impressed from reading "Demons" and "White Nights".

However, the ink looks much better from the photo than from the scan - I can almost feel the cold Siberia ... 🥶❄️

One life!

3 hours ago, InesF said:

Thank you @yazeh for introducing this ink and for connecting with some facts about the person F. Dostojewski! 👍

Most welcome! 

3 hours ago, InesF said:

I have no strong affinity to permanent or archival inks - I think they sacrifice some otherwise good ink properties for becoming permanent. In contrast, novels from Dostojewski are, in German translation ;), always a good read. I was very impressed from reading "Demons" and "White Nights".

I haven't read those two. :)

3 hours ago, InesF said:

However, the ink looks much better from the photo than from the scan - I can almost feel the cold Siberia ... 🥶❄️

The House of Dead is really harrowing. And he still managed to survive it. Pity the price for great art/literature has to be often times suffering, a favorite them for Dostoyevsky :(

I forgot to post a comparison: Ink is quite legible and darker than other popular whispy inks: 

large.Comparraison.jpeg.f80c4ae8b5abdcb7a93f20c7f4785a24.jpeg