New ivory pens from Rue du Stylo: warthog and mammoth tusks

Pierre---

Elephant ivory is banned. But this is not usually the case for mammoth or warthog tusks.

Warthog teeth nearly always have cracks. I had to saw four of them to get enough material for one pen without fissure, displaying beautiful colors: the ivory itself, the very hard and white cement, and some trace of brown crust. I added a Damascus clip:

IMG_5058.thumb.JPG.b07d1de57f84821ea1323c20213245db.JPG

754243059_IMG_5034ter.thumb.jpg.505e5d7e14bef38b1c04efe50bd1fe71.jpg

Woolly mammoth tusks are usually full of cracks too. I have been lucky enough to lay my hands on two usable pieces, more than 10 000 years old:

IMG_4299.thumb.JPG.f7a49512bb845ed107ffb3c4ebfc4d51.JPG

Out of more than 3kg, I will be able to make four or five pens, no more. Three are already turned, one has hairline cracks (now resin stabilized) but with a desirable greenish color due to mineral salts infusing the ivory:

IMG_5008.thumb.JPG.09f3d39aec2a08ccd6f7a06d46f43e45.JPG

I made two other pens without any crack. One has a very light green hue on the barrel:IMG_4983.thumb.JPG.b763e2d70ce13c6b543de7eaa973ce00.JPG

The last one is nearly pure white, with Damascus steel clip like the others, also a center band and end dots made of the same material:

IMG_5127.thumb.JPG.f040d9fa4ce0593004c075420dcf26de.JPG

IMG_5144.thumb.JPG.74834a8f4c650f1815952fff4dfc974a.JPG

All of them are fitted with a Jowo #6. A unique opportunity to see - or to get - an ivory fountain pen.

Enjoy !

2023.thumb.JPG.b1ea1f935401163e3a8d559759de38e5.JPG

Etsy Web shop: Rue du Stylo

Instagram: Rue du Stylo

Pinterest: Rue du Stylo

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pierre---

• inkstainedruth

• jchch1950

• Gunkanes

Mammoth ivory must be a rare material and very hard to keep it pristine. But also to have a pen made of Mammoth Ivory must be an unique experience: to write with a reuse prehistoric material. For me the basic question is how resistant is the material ,does it cracks or shrink ? Congratulations .

Good question... I tried to leave as little as I could to chance. The tusk had been unearthed some years ago, when I bought it I left it in the workshop for one year, then I sawed it and waited again for months, then began the pen making process but waiting as long as possible between each step : I needed more than two months to turn a pen.

I suppose that with correct care, it should serve a lifetime. Or maybe another 10 000 years ?

@Pierre---You were able to BUY a mammoth tusk? :yikes: I would think that something like that would be in a museum!  Possibly not even on display, but in the back for studying....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

¡ Gracias Gunkanes !

Ruth, it is surprising, but buying a piece of mammoth  tusk is not that difficult, some people go to the tundra to collect them. The only thing is that it is very expensive, and usually full of cracks. I was happy to make two pens without fissure so far.

• 7 months later...

Oh my!  I hadn't noticed the Damascus work till you mentioned it....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."