EFNIR: Diamine Meadow

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Diamine Meadow

This is review #226 in my series. Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: This is a bright, yellowish green, but not so yellow or bright as the comparisons.  It will still make you think of spring and plants. :) (In my defense: I recorded this on 31 January and didn't consider that it would already be spring by the time you see it...)  Cleaning was quick and easy.

The ink in the video is far too dark.  Enough that I'm off to check the phone camera settings to see if I messed something up.  Nope, camera just wanted this green darker.  Couldn't lighten the video color, so check the stills for an idea of how bright the color is.

This ink shootout convinced me to try this ink: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/362757-ink-shoot-out-diamine-meadow-vs-kyo-no-oto-moegiiro/

Zoomed in photo (Very close - go by this one. :))
large.DiamineMeadowZ.jpg.adca1cc48d7ef8ae8a9dd2de40ffd939.jpg

Screenshot (Text is not quite bright enough.)
large.DiamineMeadow.jpg.fd20cd56e6e9a5066060bfc1d6f51149.jpg

Scan of Completed Review (Very close to what my eyes see, but a little muted somehow.)
large.DiamineMeadowS.jpg.11c9ee1b87b9905ed4bb95ca193f1e5d.jpg

Absorbent Paper Close-up (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper) (Both are very close to what my eyes see.)
large.DiamineMeadowAP.jpg.265b23d5f5d7452c43e78053b9684628.jpg

Line width (One of the lines used for dry time. Magnification is 100x. The grid is 100x100µm. The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each. The line width for this ink is roughly 315µm. With 226 inks measured, the average line width is 295µm.)
large.DiamineMeadowLW.jpg.1b8c52d7aa9975480fc2f904ffff078d.jpg

Microscope image (100x. The blue is fairly close, but leaned a little more green in real life.)
large.DiamineMeadowSmear.jpg.651eab0a97419410d9e13684b4789a2b.jpg

Microscope image (400x. Closeup of one cluster from the previous image.  Cool, eh?)
large.DiamineMeadowSmear2.jpg.fafbc213a4c49fe7fcd6f0d47acd54f4.jpg

Previous Review: Koh-I-Noor Document Black.

Images also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap.

Want to influence the inky sequence? Take the "next ink" poll.

View a list of my inks, complete with review results in a google sheet.

Need to catch up on The Adventures of Quin and Makhabesh? Find the whole story here.

Hope you enjoy. Comments appreciated!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• SashK

• Misfit

• Rebbe

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review, and such a pretty color!

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done"  Ludwig Wittgenstein

"It is impossible to design something that is foolproof because fools are so ingenious." - Groucho Marx

Very pretty color indeed!  I have a DM sample, actually considered this just yesterday for filling a green demonstrator, 'cause I'm tired of drab winter colors, but I mixed something instead that's close.

Scary alien brains in the micro!  Will they be attacking poor Quin or his family?  I will definitely stay tuned.

Thanks as always, @LizEF, for your wonderful reviews and story.  

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Such an excellent and engaging review :thumbup:

A refreshing green, on screen with beautiful special effects ;)

I loved Quin's admission and the understanding between the three amigos. It makes me understand his character. Great job @LizEF :)

13 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Scary alien brains in the micro!  Will they be attacking poor Quin or his family?  I will definitely stay tuned.

:lticaptd:

13 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Thanks as always, @LizEF, for your wonderful reviews and story.

:) You're most welcome!  And thank you!

11 minutes ago, yazeh said:

Such an excellent and engaging review :thumbup:

:) Thanks, @yazeh!

11 minutes ago, yazeh said:

A refreshing green, on screen with beautiful special effects ;)

Good adjective.  Really nice color for this time of year.  Winter has made a return here, and as much as I appreciate the extra water and delay of yard work, it would be nice to see some green outside.  I have been enjoying the tweeting tweety birds for the past several weeks, though.

14 minutes ago, yazeh said:

I loved Quin's admission and the understanding between the three amigos. It makes me understand his character. Great job @LizEF :)

:D  Thanks!

@LizEFThanks as usual for the stellar review.  I particularly liked the closeup of the microscopic image (very unusual looking, I must say).

Unfortunately, this is one of those greens that is too light and bright for me.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

44 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

@LizEFThanks as usual for the stellar review.  I particularly liked the closeup of the microscopic image (very unusual looking, I must say).

Unfortunately, this is one of those greens that is too light and bright for me.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

:) You're very welcome!  And yes, it's not for everyone.  Thankfully, there's no shortage of other inks out there. :D

Thanks for this review, I have been eyeing this color for a while and I think this was the last push I needed to get some. 

I got the 30ml bottle of this ink, and I like it. I put it in the Savannah green Lamy Safari (newer version).  

Posted Image

37 minutes ago, Horseflesh said:

Thanks for this review, I have been eyeing this color for a while and I think this was the last push I needed to get some. 

:) You're very welcome!  I hope you like it!

31 minutes ago, Misfit said:

I got the 30ml bottle of this ink, and I like it. I put it in the Savannah green Lamy Safari (newer version).  

Oh, yes, it would go nicely in the Savannah Safari. :D  (Although, really, I might be compelled to put Diamine Safari in a Lamy Safari... :lol: )

Thank you @LizEF for the comprehensive review, for the empathic story part and for the amazing microscopy images!

⦁ Already two years ago I have decided in favour of Dimanine Kelly Green to be my spring colour. Meadow was a close second. I love both these colours!

⦁ There is a simple citation from the real life: "Mom is always right!" 😇

⦁ Is Diamine Meadow a fractal ink - self-similar in any scale? No!; but it reveals its role model: the "Wood Wide Web". In this case, the plants on the meadows and the ink droplets on the paper are connected in similar way (at real and at microscopic scale). 🧑‍⚕️ :D

(... thinking about how the letters on the sheet of paper communicate with each other after finishing my writing ... 🤫)

One life!

7 hours ago, InesF said:

Thank you @LizEF for the comprehensive review, for the empathic story part and for the amazing microscopy images!

:) You're very welcome!

7 hours ago, InesF said:

There is a simple citation from the real life: "Mom is always right!" 😇

:lol: Something young people usually have to learn the hard way.

7 hours ago, InesF said:

Is Diamine Meadow a fractal ink - self-similar in any scale? No!; but it reveals its role model: the "Wood Wide Web". In this case, the plants on the meadows and the ink droplets on the paper are connected in similar way (at real and at microscopic scale). 🧑‍⚕️ :D

(... thinking about how the letters on the sheet of paper communicate with each other after finishing my writing ... 🤫)

:D The mystery of ink flow isn't enough for you, now you have to figure out how the magic works? ;)

Really nice presentation of a happy ink colour! This is my kind of green… these grassy greens with lots of yellow have something that stimulates the dopamine centers in my brain when they hit my optical nerve. They always make me feel better.

Oh… and these microscope images are really out of this world. They have this really biological look, like little cell clusters. 

1 hour ago, namrehsnoom said:

Really nice presentation of a happy ink colour!

:) Thank you, @namrehsnoom!

This is my kind of green… these grassy greens with lots of yellow have something that stimulates the dopamine centers in my brain when they hit my optical nerve. They always make me feel better.

:D Exactly!  The color of life.

Oh… and these microscope images are really out of this world. They have this really biological look, like little cell clusters. 

:)  Stimulating all around.

Looks like Akkerman 28 on my monitor. 

I disliked Akkerman 28, but used a full bottle of it, and if I ever desire to replace it, I will just fill my empty bottle with this Diamine.

10 minutes ago, TitoThePencilPimp said:

Looks like Akkerman 28 on my monitor. 

I disliked Akkerman 28, but used a full bottle of it, and if I ever desire to replace it, I will just fill my empty bottle with this Diamine.

:)  The Well Appointed Desk have a review with both inks in it (the review is for a third ink, but there's a picture with both of these).  Looks like this is a little paler and more yellow than the Akkerman.  Gotta love those Akkerman bottles, though! :D