“NOS” ester took nib isn’t working

GMYoussef

Hello all! I recently bought an Esterbrook J off of eBay that was advertised to come with a NOS 9550 nib. The nib definitely doesn’t appear used at first glance, but after inking the pen I quickly realized it just doesn’t work. It’s not even that it skips or hard starts, it simply doesn’t write. Upon closer inspection I noticed that the name and number of the nib are written in a different direction than I’m used to seeing and the feed has a triangular slit near the tip that I also haven’t seen on my other esterbrook nibs. I’m not sure if this is a design switch up in later years or if the slit in the nib was added later by someone, but ink seems to drip out of that slit, not the tip of the nib, when I tap the pen, and I’m thinking maybe that’s why the pen isn’t writing. I’m by no means an expert on estys though so I figured I’d turn to you all for advice. I’ve attached pictures of the nib and feed, and I would greatly appreciate any feedback or advice that you might have on the matter.

ECD273B0-8D81-40EF-8612-5A16DC54BBB1.jpeg

4B20B326-E1A8-42CD-B7CC-7638012568DA.jpeg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GMYoussef

• gweimer1

• PaFitch

• crescentfiller

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's something I've seen on the later versions of the nibs.  I'm personally more fond of the earlier ones, with the imprint across the nib, rather than along it.

1 hour ago, gweimer1 said:

It's something I've seen on the later versions of the nibs.  I'm personally more fond of the earlier ones, with the imprint across the nib, rather than along it.

Have you experienced any problems with the newer models writing?

I haven't seen any problems with them, but have to admit that I don't have many that I use often.

😂 I’m not one for naming my pens usually but I might have to make an exception now

Somewhere in the Esterbrook information world I think you'll find that the slots at the tip of the feed were supposed to aid in filling the pen (a tip dip instead of dunking the whole nib). I have a 9460 and a couple of 9556 nibs with the slots. They have worked OK for me. If you take a very fine wire (like the wire used to clean small engine carburetor intake holes) it can be fed from the back side of the feed out through the slots you see in the front.

Yeah I think most have correctly identified this nib is legit; just a little newer version of the nib.  I have a few of these and they work well for me.  As for it not working; this might be that it was used and it is clogged.  I would soak it in pen wash overnight and use a bulb syringe to flush it out.  Then try again.