New Pelikan M800 Green Demo

Lam1

I'm a very surprised by the total silence in this forum about the New M800 Green Demo announcement

(see here https://thepelikansperch.com/2023/03/22/pelikan-m800-special-edition-green-demonstrator/ ).

Is it so underwhelming that nobody cares?

I, for one, am in doubt about it. 

Although I like demos and, in particular the colored ones, I didn't like the new trim all that much (it surely seems cheaper to make).

I am also very divided about reissues of the same pen.

What I would really like is entirely new designs.

But, above all, I am not sure I'll buy another modern Pelikan until they get rid of the rust ring, since I have had lots of problems with it lately).

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lam1

• Uncial

• Mulrich

• amberleadavis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmmm, quiet here, yes, it has been… :)

I wrote a bit about this beautiful pen on FB:

Those new trims look absolutely stunning and make the whole thing look more refined while still working within the framework of the design language of the originals (I think it actually marries new and old in a fresh new way).

So, it is a really great update on the already iconic design and I might have to actually consider getting one. My only other modern Pelikan is an M200, the other Pelikans, 25+, are vintage ones.

The only thing that makes me apprehensive is the size and weight distribution of the M800 series pens. The perfect spot or range for me has been the 100N & 400 series pens for vintage and the M400 & M600 series for the modern ones... the M800 series pens deviate from those quite a bit size and point of balance wise (brass filling mechanism > POB further back, especially if used posted)... because I do write with my pens, all of them 😃 

So yeah, a learning curve or a period of adjustment would be expected. Have to see, need to source an M800 to try out and refresh my memory on how it actually feels...

Will most likely get one if my “fun funds” budget allows it (vet costs from the start of the year have already eaten well over two such pens, our pup of 16 has some continuing issues that hopefully will get dealt with this month).

I just think it's a bit pricey for what it is.  But then, what isn't these days?  Love my Pelikans, but not enough to add that one for the $$$.

It’s fine but doesn’t excite me all that much. Demonstraters always carry the added worry of staining, and since I already have a clear M800 I have no interest in this one. Hopefully the Fall SE will be more interesting. 

I like re-issues, but don't particularly like demos, though if I am to get a demo, it better be coloured.

I also like the new trim, which indeed is apparently cheaper to make.

Staining keeps me from getting esp piston demos and the "rust ring" is also to me an issue, don't know why pen makers keep making pens with those...

In any case, the new prices are insane and though I do like this one, I won't be buying it.

Good enough for me. I have ordered one with an EF nib on day one. 

First seen on the German penexchange.de.

The appraisals are very contrasted, as They are here and on forum.fountainpen.it.

Seems a slightly strange decision to have a re-release of an old demo that didn't seem to be hugely popular in the first instance. I can't make up my mind about it and suspect I might let this one pass me by. I was so hoping for a black torty 800.

7 hours ago, mana said:

Hmmm, quiet here, yes, it has been… :)

I wrote a bit about this beautiful pen on FB:

Will most likely get one if my “fun funds” budget allows it (vet costs from the start of the year have already eaten well over two such pens, our pup of 16 has some continuing issues that hopefully will get dealt with this month).

I am sorry to hear that you pup is having health issues. I hope he/she gets well soon!

Getting our friends back in good health is money very well spent!

I am surprised that you are considering a M800, considering your focus on vintage!

Interesting take on the new trim. 

I'll have to think hard about this one...

Interesting to see the somewhat divided opinions here. Maybe been a demonstrator also doesn't help, since they are usually divisive.

@Uncial, that is interesting, for I was under the impression the original Green demo had sold well!

But nowadays they seem to command a respectable premium.

I’m excited about this pen. I’m a bit bored by the Binde design, having accumulated two trays of various Pelikan pens over the years, so a colored demo will be a nice change. 

There are some things I don’t like about the current production Pelikans and adding gold bling to traditional designs is one of them. That said, the new rings are not cheaper to make (I think the two ring design is actually a single ring that looks like two), and I’ll just wait and see how they look with the green resin. 

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I love my West German M800 Green demonstrator (the one listed as 1992).  I don't think I'll be buying the new one.

large.PXL_20230124_012815121.jpg.ff182b89e108ad776a22f066c8f65d87.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

So Pelikan discontinues the translucent ink windows on all their striped pens, then less than a year later announces a higher priced limited edition demonstrator 🤔.

Cynical me thinks this is a very shrewd marketing strategy, intended to artificially raise demand for their limited editions. 🤨🤨

However. It does at least mean that there is hope for the latecomers of getting a Pelikan in which ink levels are visible. 

Song of the week: “Someday” (One Republic)

If your car has them, make sure to change your timing belts every 80-100,000 miles. (Or shorter if specified in the manual)

2 hours ago, The Elevator said:

So Pelikan discontinues the translucent ink windows on all their striped pens, then less than a year later announces a higher priced limited edition demonstrator 🤔.

Cynical me thinks this is a very shrewd marketing strategy, intended to artificially raise demand for their limited editions. 🤨🤨

However. It does at least mean that there is hope for the latecomers of getting a Pelikan in which ink levels are visible. 

Or maybe they still had stock of the green barrels and decided to use it instead of design a new material. 

4 hours ago, Uncial said:

Seems a slightly strange decision to have a re-release of an old demo that didn't seem to be hugely popular in the first instance. I can't make up my mind about it and suspect I might let this one pass me by. I was so hoping for a black torty 800.

A black tortoise would be awesome. Maybe we’ll see it this fall with the silver trim SE. 

2 hours ago, The Elevator said:

I really don't think it matters whether that is or isn't.

As a ‘career’ business analyst (by any job title), I think proper respect is given the user when their functional, technical, and qualitative requirements are (ideally, elicited in an formal or at least explicit manner, and then) taken into account when design a new product or system, and then “holding them over a barrel” when it comes to price and/or compromises in the end-solution(s) on offer.

What gives me pause, in this instance, is that what is offered is not really ‘new’, but just a reboot of a previous design and/or materials on hand (possibly without requiring new tooling on the part of the manufacturer). If “cheaper for you” (or “better for you”) does not also work out to be “cheaper for me” so that it's a win-win, my position as a consumer is to “let it rot and go to waste” first, and then both manufacturer and consumer are in a more conducive mindset to negotiate meaningfully once the loss/failure has been incurred.

It often works better when one side or the other is dealt a proper “F you” first, once in a while, before properly coming to the table to try to agree on the next steps.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

The new trims of the Pelikan M800 green demonstrator look's nice to me. Pelikan has already issue a green and a blue demonstrators M 800, maybe a different colours will be a nicer addition ?

7 hours ago, Lam1 said:

I am sorry to hear that you pup is having health issues. I hope he/she gets well soon!

Getting our friends back in good health is money very well spent!

I am surprised that you are considering a M800, considering your focus on vintage!

Interesting take on the new trim. 

I'll have to think hard about this one...

Thanks! Indeed, when we took her on (she is a rescue) I made a promise to take care of her to the best of my ability, till the end. And the vintage focus thingy, yeah, but sometimes a thing stands on its own.... and the heart wants what it wants... ;)

Let’s say some positive things. a) Pelikan makes some of the best demonstrator models on the market.

b) The M800 is still an amazing design.

c) I like the 90s.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

15 hours ago, Calabria said:

I’m a bit bored by the Binde design, having accumulated two trays of various Pelikan pens over the years…

Well, let me be the first to say that, should you happen to own an example of the ‘boring’ and ‘uninspiring’ 2013 LE M800 in ‘Brown Tortoiseshell’ finish, I will be only too happy to relieve you of the burden of owning it….

And, for the benefit of other members, I said this first, so I call ‘dibs’! :P

I’d even be willing to buy an example of the new M800 Demonstrator in Green, and then do a straight swap for your ‘Brown Tortoise’ 😉

What?

A boy is allowed to dream, no? :lticaptd:

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

15 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

I really don't think it matters whether that is or isn't.

Valid point right there :thumbup:. I probably should have mentioned that I am still rather sour about Pelikan discontinuing their translucent Binde, as I always wanted a Souveran in Red or Green, but have an obsession about my ink levels. 

That set aside, I think it is most certainly a pretty pen, but my money will probably go toward an older Pelikan with the translucent stripes instead. The solid green, although a demonstrator, looks a little too ordinary to warrant the price. 

Song of the week: “Someday” (One Republic)

If your car has them, make sure to change your timing belts every 80-100,000 miles. (Or shorter if specified in the manual)