De Atramentis -Document Cyan

yazeh

De Atramentis Document Cyan 

According to Oxford Dictionary,  

cy·an | ˈsīən, ˈsīˌan |

noun

a greenish-blue color which is one of the primary subtractive colors, complementary to red.

ORIGIN

late 19th century: from Greek kuaneos ‘dark blue’.

There's no green in the Chroma:

large.1808676718_Chroma-documentCyan.jpeg.061cbddc6f85c24beef669722bc91482.jpeg

I dislike this ink. As a blue it has no character. The colour blue, despite its connotation, make me happy. This one, no. 

Normally, when I finish a review, I enjoy taking notes until the ink is finished. This one and its Artist Cyan sibling, when down the drain, right after. 

Pity such a lovely vibrant blue, looks so fad on paper. Maybe it's only saving grace, is filling vials / bottles and lining them on a shelf 😛

large.IMG_1827.JPG.dbd7a6588a5103a6fbcafabea591b33f.JPG

I am used to badly behaving permanent inks by several brands, especially you know who brand ;)  I manage to tame them by using a drier pen, finer or sometimes wider nib, good paper, or all the above. 

This ink loves to ghost and bleed on anything paper. It’s the ultimate Alien/ Borg for paper. It can rejoin Artist Turquoise for the Razzie awards in inks. 

However, It's the only ink that can dry on Tomoe River 68 gr in less than 2 seconds. I've never seen anything like that.. 

I didn't bother using a flex nib. It was pointless. 

large.1644498297_Rhodia-Docuemt.jpeg.ec9e0ed956f623336fd202e39f4ed5be.jpeg

Ironically, Rhodia fared decently. While it bleeds, ghosting is acceptable. 

large.697715258_Rhodia-Docuemtback.jpeg.5ca72f4a793ae9737de327eef5f56217.jpeg

large.109591207_MIdori-Docuemt.jpeg.b2c161ee4acbd0e5d3f6f3dea8baf50c.jpeglarge.811531689_MIdori-Docuemt-back.jpeg.93ce8048027ac0438526c7ab77928121.jpeg

large.515549198_TR68grDocuemt-back.jpeg.deca36cb0e43409f040f59a7c30c8acf.jpeg

large.1707492467_TR68grDocuemt-back1.jpeg.ebbca2ae827a38fe7a19b83359ea23de.jpeg

I cannot recommend it for writing. 

You can probably tame it, with a dry pen, and a light touch on Rhodia, if you insist. 

If you like the colour, get a sample of Artist Cyan. It’s slightly better. 

Here's a comparison. My apologies for the upside down swatches. 

Top Right is Kakimori Karari. 

Bottom Right is Monteverde Horizon Blue. 

large.Comparasion.jpeg.8049cc44871b28a56ed411f7d58fe702.jpeg

· Pens used: Pilot Kakuno (Ef) Lamy Safari (Ef/F/M), Jinhao 450 Fude nib

· What I liked: Very fast dry time. 

· What I did not like: Bleeding/ghosting through everything. Colour is flat. Ink is too wet.

· Shading: None  

· Ghosting: On every single paper. 

· Bleed through: Same as above. 

· Flow Rate: Excellent

· Lubrication: Excellent

· Nib Dry-out: None.

· Start-up: None.

· Saturation:  Saturated

· Shading Potential: None

· Sheen: None.

· Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Yes

· Nib Creep / “Crud”: Yes.   

· Staining (pen): Yes. It did stain my Pilot Section only, however, after 6 hours of soaking, the stain was removed.  Convertors were fine. 

· Clogging: No

Please don't hesitate to share your experience, writing samples or any other comments. The more the merrier  :)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yazeh

• inkstainedruth

• LizEF

• arcfide

Thank you, @yazeh, for another very thorough review! :) And for enduring this infamous ink long enough to bring us a review.

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

cy·an | ˈsīən, ˈsīˌan |

noun

a greenish-blue color which is one of the primary subtractive colors, complementary to red.

ORIGIN

late 19th century: from Greek kuaneos ‘dark blue’.

Am I the only one bothered by the fact that we take these words that start with a K sound and somehow morph them into starting with an S sound? :gaah:

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

You can probably tame it, with a dry pen, and a light touch on Rhodia, if you insist.

:lol: "if you insist" might sum up use of this ink.

46 minutes ago, LizEF said:

Thank you, @yazeh, for another very thorough review! :) And for enduring this infamous ink long enough to bring us a review.

I'm glad it's over 😛

Am I the only one bothered by the fact that we take these words that start with a K sound and somehow morph them into starting with an S sound? :gaah:

It happens in many languages. Look at Essri, his names is pronounced Ethri in Snek ;)

:lol: "if you insist" might sum up use of this ink.

Right on!

59 minutes ago, yazeh said:

It happens in many languages. Look at Essri, his names is pronounced Ethri in Snek ;)

:lol: Hey!  No making fun of the lisp!  Only Essri gets to call himself Ethri. ;)

1 hour ago, LizEF said:

:lol: Hey!  No making fun of the lisp!  Only Essri gets to call himself Ethri. ;)

🤣

Well, not my favorite shade of blue, but I've seen worse colors (my sample of Upper Ganges Blue was so light that even though it was supposed to be permanent, I didn't think using it for signing checks was a *remotely* good idea...).  I don't know if it's just me, but on my screen the first writing sample of Document Cyan does look like there's a tiny bit of green in it....

I think that you shouldn't have dumped the ink though -- I'm sure that there would be *someone* out there who would have happily taken it off your hands....  I'm just not that person.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth 

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

1 minute ago, inkstainedruth said:

Well, not my favorite shade of blue, but I've seen worse colors (my sample of Upper Ganges Blue was so light that even though it was supposed to be permanent, I didn't think using it for signing checks was a *remotely* good idea...).  

I have yet to review my sample of Upper Ganges ;)

I don't know if it's just me, but on my screen the first writing sample of Document Cyan does look like there's a tiny bit of green in it....

There's no green  in the chroma. In the turquoise, there was some green. 

I think that you shouldn't have dumped the ink though -- I'm sure that there would be *someone* out there who would have happily taken it off your hands....  I'm just not that person.

I didn't dump my samples. Only the few drops of ink left in the convertors. I still have the samples ;)

2 minutes ago, yazeh said:

There's no green  in the chroma. In the turquoise, there was some green. 

I didn't dump my samples. Only the few drops of ink left in the convertors. I still have the samples ;)

Ah, my mistake -- when you said "dump" I assumed that you meant the entire sample/bottle, not just what was in the pen.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Just now, inkstainedruth said:

Ah, my mistake -- when you said "dump" I assumed that you meant the entire sample/bottle, not just what was in the pen.

No problem, I probably wasn't clear enough. :)

I actually dumped the ink on a piece of Watercolour paper, to do some artwork. But it didn't pan out as I planned. And in the end had to cover with even more ink :D

It's weird that I don't see many inks that are both permanent and well behaved in this color spectrum. Noodler's Legal Blue is much like this ink in how poorly it seems to perform (though I guess probably not quite as bad), and I've had the same experience with most of the others I've tried. I wonder what makes this such a hard color to get in permanent form, when nice "Peacock Blue" or Tourquoise/Cyan type inks are widely available with great colors in the water soluble, non-permanent variety. 

23 minutes ago, arcfide said:

It's weird that I don't see many inks that are both permanent and well behaved in this color spectrum. Noodler's Legal Blue is much like this ink in how poorly it seems to perform (though I guess probably not quite as bad), and I've had the same experience with most of the others I've tried. I wonder what makes this such a hard color to get in permanent form, when nice "Peacock Blue" or Tourquoise/Cyan type inks are widely available with great colors in the water soluble, non-permanent variety. 

Good question.

I think Noodler's Baltimore Canyon Blue is the best looking permanent blue ink that I have seen (darker than this Cyan). 

1 hour ago, TSherbs said:

Good question.

I think Noodler's Baltimore Canyon Blue is the best looking permanent blue ink that I have seen (darker than this Cyan). 

That does seem to be one that at least begins to approach it, but I don't think it really compares to things like Lamy Turquoise or Waterman Inspired Blue or Sheaffer Peacock Blue or the like -- it seems to be missing the greenish tint and is more deep blue. That seems to be a hard color to make archival? 

15 hours ago, arcfide said:

I am testing a few more  blues. Kakimori Karari seems promising and is a lovely colour, enjoyable to write with. 

Noodler's has also several nice blues. I'm testing the Russian series blue and hopefully I can find a few good ones there. I find the Russian series, in general, some of the best inks and easiest to clean. The thing with most Noodler's inks, you can tame them with the right paper/ pen combination. But with the De Atramentis Document/Artist Turquoise/ Cyan it was almost impossible. 

Sketchink Marlene isn't bad either, a bit flat, but it's viscous, clinging ink. So you need to have a well-sealed pen.

14 hours ago, TSherbs said:

Good question.

I'm looking forward to testing it. I read rave reviews about it!

13 hours ago, arcfide said:

That does seem to be one that at least begins to approach it, but I don't think it really compares to things like Lamy Turquoise or Waterman Inspired Blue or Sheaffer Peacock Blue or the like -- it seems to be missing the greenish tint and is more deep blue. That seems to be a hard color to make archival? 

In another thread, I read that De Atramentis Document Dark Blue for example is not light fast. If, you're interested I can dig out the link...

Thanks for the review @yazeh. I normally like sky-blue inks, but looking at the pics the colour didn’t come to life. I guess what’s bothering me is the flatness of the ink, its one-dimensionality. It just looks lifeless. And given the bad technical quality, it certainly looks like an ink to avoid.

I have no personal experience with other De Atramentis inks. Is this one the rule or the exception?

16 hours ago, namrehsnoom said:

Thanks for the review @yazeh.

Most welcome!

I normally like sky-blue inks, but looking at the pics the colour didn’t come to life. I guess what’s bothering me is the flatness of the ink, its one-dimensionality. It just looks lifeless.

It is indeed. I would recommend it only for artwork and artist as I mentioned before :)

And given the bad technical quality, it certainly looks like an ink to avoid.

This one for sure ;)

I have no personal experience with other De Atramentis inks. Is this one the rule or the exception?

I have tried less than 10 De Atramentis inks.  2 of them were dye based. The rest were Waterproof inks. The dye inked based were "normal", as far as I recall. SO I cannot really comment. But I know a few members who raved about De Atramentis' normal lineup. Though they have so many inks that one can get lost with them. 

Artist Sepia had flow issues. 

Document/ Artist /Turquoise Cyan and Turquoise were not the best. Often times with permanent inks, you have some wiggle room and you can make them work. Those inks didn't work. I still have a few other De Atramentis colours. Hope they work better :)

On 3/24/2023 at 4:50 PM, arcfide said:

I got a bottle of Marline from R&K and while its a wet writer like these other cyan shades it's actually a perfectly functional ink. It does make a fine nib look like a medium but seems like a perfectly good waterproof alternative. 

19 hours ago, mouse2cat said:

I got a bottle of Marline from R&K and while its a wet writer like these other cyan shades it's actually a perfectly functional ink. It does make a fine nib look like a medium but seems like a perfectly good waterproof alternative. 

It's a good ink Marlene. It's a bit viscous. You need a well sealed pen for that.