De Atramentis Artist Cyan

yazeh

De Atramentis Artist Cyan. 

This is another wet permanent ink from De Atramentis. Colour is identical or almost identical to Document Cyan ink, but this is an improvement to the atrocious Documents Cyan.  If you absolutely want to try Cyan, I  recommend the Artist to the Document. 

I didn't bother to post the water-test photo. Trust me it's waterproof ;)

In all honesty, I did not enjoy this ink, it has not much of a character. However, it's pretty to look at through a demonstrator. 

Chroma:

large.Chroma.jpeg.c8dadf9ff863932fe70ac9126655415b.jpeg

Writing samples:

Either Tomoe River 68gr paper has changed. I've only seen this with the Artist/Document Turquoise. 

large.2058294412_Tr68gr.jpeg.d3eeffa8e33cd626db21757be65fd834.jpeg

Bleed through with EF?

large.618276936_Tr68grBack.jpeg.768e791a4de8f15a2e3d735311792965.jpeglarge.Rhodia.jpeg.19b45a0bd9ff9ddd2d1a05dd1c68ef6f.jpeg

Rhodia is slightly better. 

large.1997064342_Rhodia-back.jpeg.163ddd5595fde46ff207245333e5d5da.jpeg

Midori was the best. I didn't bother to post the back. But there's no bleed through and ghosting is minimal to non existent..

large.Midori.jpeg.26a861dcf07760761249769c13b42c71.jpeg

I was lazy to look through my swatches to find something similar ;)

large.1664922805_Chroma2.jpeg.9369769688a9cb314e988c0b65e97ade.jpeg

Finally, a little sketch using both Artist and Document Cyan on Canson watercolour paper, by first doing an approximate sketch of cat.

Then wetting the paper with a wet brush and the splattering ink. 

The Cat is done with Artist, the background with Document ink. 

large.1898999617_Sketch-Cat.jpeg.bcac513fa3310caf7c031565e3ebca63.jpeg 

· Pens used: Pilot Kakuno (Ef/Stub) Lamy Safari (Ef/F/M/B), Kanwrite Ultraflex, Jinhao Fude

· What I liked:  Fast dry time. Much better than the document version, looks cobalt in a demonstrator, 

· What I did not like: Bleed through, flat colour, limited paper use Midori. 

· Shading: None  

· Ghosting: Faint on Midori, 

· Bleed through: Same as above. 

· Flow Rate: Excellent

· Lubrication: Excellent

· Nib Dry-out: None.

· Start-up: None.

· Saturation:  Nicely saturated blue

· Shading Potential: None

· Sheen: None.

· Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Yes

· Nib Creep / “Crud”: Yes.

· Staining (pen): I don’t know. I won’t be using it for long, thankfully. 

· Clogging: No

· Cleaning: It’s a pigment ink, so the longer it stays the more difficult to clean. But with a well-sealed pen it should be alright. 

· Water resistance: Excellent 

· Availability: 50 ml bottle.

Please don't hesitate to share your experience, writing samples or any other comments. The more the merrier  :)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yazeh

• lapis

• LizEF

• InesF

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, @yazeh!  Less interesting chroma on this one.  Holy fuzzfest, Batman!  The Tomoe River overfloweth!  Poor little swatch kitty getting rained on! :(  Nice happy blue kitty drawing.  :sm_cat:  Thanks for another permanent review! :D

Great review again, Yazeh! Thanks for not liking it. I, too, personally am pretty un-hot about any manufacturers coughing out Docu-, Artist-, Dis- and Dat- forms of all of one and the same ink (well, basically speaking). Moreover, IYAM that's no "cyan". Cyan is a totally bluer, darker, stronger, intense blue colour and not a washed out gulp of Caribbean sea.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

1 minute ago, LizEF said:

Thanks, @yazeh!  Less interesting chroma on this one. 

Yep. It's completely flat. 

Holy fuzzfest, Batman!  The Tomoe River overfloweth! 

Wait to see the Document one. 

Poor little swatch kitty getting rained on! :(  Nice happy blue kitty drawing. 

Ah, you know cats. They somehow manage to survive inky down pours ;)

:sm_cat:  Thanks for another permanent review! :D

You're most welcome!

Just now, lapis said:

Great review again, Yazeh! Thanks for not liking it. I, too, personally am pretty un-hot about any manufacturers coughing out Docu-, Artist-, Dis- and Dat- forms of all of one and the same ink (well, basically speaking).

I couldn't have said it better. Instead of improving the quality of their inks, what's the point of these inks, I don't know ;)

Just now, lapis said:

Moreover, IYAM that's no "cyan". Cyan is a totally bluer, darker, stronger, intense blue colour and not a washed out gulp of Caribbean sea.

To be honest I was confused too. 

Ironically, the Oxford dictionary describes Cyan and Greenish blue... But in some colour wheels, it looks exactly flat like this. But then, I'm no artist, what do I know :)

Thank you @yazeh for taking the effort to post the review.

Don't worry! I love both blue cats! ;) The one on the swatch card, how unhappy it is in the blue rain, is the best abstract of an ink review I have seen so far! :) 

One life!

16 hours ago, yazeh said:

To be honest I was confused too. 

Ironically, the Oxford dictionary describes Cyan and Greenish blue... But in some colour wheels, it looks exactly flat like this. But then, I'm no artist, what do I know :)

You're entirely right....

My Oxford dictionary (SOED) goes like dees...

cyan /0ˈsʌɪən/ noun & adjective. L19.

[ORIGIN Greek kuan(e)os dark blue.]

(Of) a greenish-blue colour. Also more fully cyan-blue.

Thusly, I now like this ink because I love my SOED.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thank you!

I see what you are saying about it not having much character. Yeah, it's not the same color, but the Herbin Bleu Pervenche swatch is much, much more charismatic (and it's not even a color I like very much).

Of the De Atramentis Document and Artist inks that you have tried, which do you recommend?

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

6 hours ago, InesF said:

Thank you @yazeh for taking the effort to post the review.

Much appreciated 🙏

6 hours ago, InesF said:

Don't worry! I love both blue cats! ;) The one on the swatch card, how unhappy it is in the blue rain, is the best abstract of an ink review I have seen so far! :) 

Yeah, I love them too, blue yes, grey blues :)

5 hours ago, lapis said:

You're entirely right....

My Oxford dictionary (SOED) goes like dees...

cyan /0ˈsʌɪən/ noun & adjective. L19.

[ORIGIN Greek kuan(e)os dark blue.]

(Of) a greenish-blue colour. Also more fully cyan-blue.

Thusly, I now like this ink because I love my SOED.

Now Descartes would disagree with that, wouldn't he?

I love, thus I like ;)

3 hours ago, PithyProlix said:

Thank you!

It's actually much more nicer in a demonstrator. Or simply filling vials of it on a shelf and enjoying the reflection through the sun :)

I see what you are saying about it not having much character. Yeah, it's not the same color, but the Herbin Bleu Pervenche swatch is much, much more charismatic (and it's not even a color I like very much).

Bleu pErvenche is one of my first turquoise inks. It's truly a nice ink :)

Of the De Atramentis Document and Artist inks that you have tried, which do you recommend?

As of now, I can only recommend Artist Dark Red. At least that was, according to my review a year ago. I dislike both Artist and document  Cyan/Turquoise and I cannot recommend Artist Sepia.  However,  if you're into ink mixing, an artist, yes, I would recommend them. However, for normal, journaling and writing I won't recommend any of the above mentioned.