Just saw the light on not-fine nibs

BHuij

I've been writing with a handful of different pens for years now, but I have small handwriting and so basically all my pens are fine nibs, maybe one or two skewing towards medium a bit.

I finally decided to try something new, so I went all in and picked up a Conklin Duragraph with a stub nib from Goulet. It's... phenomenal. I had to slow down to keep my angle consistent, and write a bit larger than I usually do, and both of those things combined seemed to instantly upgrade my handwriting. The line variation is delicious. The wet ink flow is glorious. I definitely impulse purchased a TWSBI Eco with a broad nib the same day my stub arrived. That is all.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 51ISH

• Misfit

• corniche

• BHuij

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear you've been subdued by the Dark Side. Brace yourself for many hours of joy and a long slavery of trying new experiences. :D

More seriously, it's gonna be difficult to avoid going down the rabbit hole. But,hey, as long as you enjoy it and don't get excessively taken away, that is what life is for after all. So,there, enjoy.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

Hello BHuij,

I'm from the dark side, here to welcome you aboard. I've been glorying in stub and broad nibs for years. I rarely use a fine nib for anything, except for filling in account ledgers and deposit/withdrawal slips, etc.

You're also going to love your TWSBI broad; I have a few, as well as their stubs.

Enjoy. :)

- Sean  :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

Of the ten pens I currently have inked, six are either B or stubs. The other four are EF, F or M. The above distribution is fairly common for me. Sometimes it moves the other direction through. 

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I finally succumbed to the italic urge, bought a Parson's Essential from Italix/MrPen, broad cursive italic, lays down about a 1.3 mm line, use it for addressing envelopes mainly, it even makes this old doctor's handwriting look special!

A very wide Lamy 2000 improved my handwriting no end.  I didn't get on with it at first, but it's now my favourite daily writer.  Enjoy the new pens.

15 minutes ago, antares1966 said:

I finally succumbed to the italic urge, bought a Parson's Essential from Italix/MrPen, broad cursive italic, lays down about a 1.3 mm line, use it for addressing envelopes mainly, it even makes this old doctor's handwriting look special!

Hi Antares1966,

That's a nice nib, but if you want something really special, get a PE with the Medium Cursive Italic nib.

WOW! 😲

It's not so broad that it cannot be used on almost any writing job, and it gives that standard width a unique flair that really packs a punch. :thumbup:

- Sean :)

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

2 hours ago, corniche said:

Hi Antares1966,

That's a nice nib, but if you want something really special, get a PE with the Medium Cursive Italic nib.

WOW! 😲

It's not so broad that it cannot be used on almost any writing job, and it gives that standard width a unique flair that really packs a punch. :thumbup:

- Sean :)

Can you post a link?  I can't see the nib you have quoted listed on their website?

Nope ...forget that just seen iit..

Edited by 51ISH
add text

Welcome welcome welcome to the stub and italic nib pens preference. They are my favorite nibs. Every time I accidentally get a pen with a standard nib and write with it, I’ll write later with a stub or italic nib, and think why did I get that other pen?  The last one I got with a M nib can be swapped because it was a Retro 51, and I have their 1.1mm nib units on other pens. 

Posted Image

18 minutes ago, 51ISH said:

Can you post a link?  I can't see the nib you have quoted listed on their website?

https://www.mrpen.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d184.html

If you click on a pen, then on the options for nibs, it’s a long list. I think the nib being referenced is a medium cursive. There are options for medium italic and medium cursive, and lots of others.  

Posted Image

20 minutes ago, 51ISH said:

Yes, I see the long list, but not a one that says Medium Cursive Italic

Hello all,

I purchased my PE with a medium cursive nib several years ago; sadly, this probably explains why it is no longer available:

https://www.mrpen.co.uk/contents/en-uk/about.html

- Sean :(

6 minutes ago, corniche said:

Hello all,

I purchased my PE several years ago; sadly, this probably explains why it is no longer available:

https://www.mrpen.co.uk/contents/en-uk/about.html

- Sean :(

That's very sad to read.  I looked at these pens some years back. The list of nibs is pretty extensive. I'm just wondering what nib would be the 'closest'...

2 minutes ago, Misfit said:

I’d suspect that the best option to match would be the M cursive.  How about you?

We 'crossed' in posting... either M cursive or Med Itallic?  Have to admit I'm tempted by the B Cursive...just to be a rebel as I'm a fine/med kind of guy.....maybe order some Baystate Blue or something....🤣

19 minutes ago, 51ISH said:

We 'crossed' in posting... either M cursive or Med Itallic?  Have to admit I'm tempted by the B Cursive...just to be a rebel as I'm a fine/med kind of guy.....maybe order some Baystate Blue or something....🤣

Another pity regarding the Parson’s Essential pen is the lack of colors. When I got mine, there were at least four colors. Mine is amber. I remember a red and green version too. 

Posted Image

3 minutes ago, Misfit said:

Another pity regarding the Parson’s Essential pen is the lack of colors. When I got mine, there were at least four colors. Mine is amber. I remember a red and green version too. 

Yes, they also had a mottled blue and classic black.

The nib is a tough call because the italic does yield sharper lines for a more visible affect. But the plain  cursive nib will be easier to write with. In the end, you'll have to go with what you think would work best for yourselves.

- Sean