Sheaffer converter

rsgonner

Is there a  piston converter than can be used with this type of Sheaffer nib?  It is the kind that would pierce the old cylindrical cartridges on the School Pens.  Or do I need one of the squeeze converters?

Thanks,

Russ

deltanibs_fmgold_2__18383.jpeg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rsgonner

• Ron Z

• AmericanMonk

• Mark from Yorkshire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm no expert but it looks like my modern Sheaffer pens that take the Sheaffer converter. they only take the Sheaffer converters not the international standard as far as I am aware

Mark from the Latin Marcus follower of mars, the god of war.

Yorkshire Born, Yorkshire Bred. 

my current favourite author is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

largebronze-letter-exc.pngflying-letter-exc.png

Thank you, Mark!  Two of our kids spent a year in Durham.  They remarked on the beautiful national parks in Yorkshire.  Of course, the show "All Creatures Great and Small" have introduced us all to the area.  Lovely.

The No Nonsense pens will take either piston or squeeze if the spring is out of the barrel - some NN roller ball pens were converted to fountain pens.  A Connaisseur has a brass plug to add weight to the pen,so only the squeeze converter will fit.

Sheaffer was selling Monteverde mini converters as replacements for the thin Targa and thin Fashion pen converters.  The have the DIN standard diameter hole.  I would try a standard international converter in the pen.  It will fit on the piercing tube.  Whether or not it is too long when you screw the section in is another question.  If it is, use a mini converter.  I like the syringe style converters for the Kaweco sport better - much better made and less likely to split.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

• 8 months later...

The packaging claims that the twist piston converters are suitable with the Icon, Sagaris, Award, Taranis, Pop, Legacy, Prelude, 100, 300, and Intensity. I will +1 @Ron Z's claim that it works on the No Nonsense (although I have yet to ink it up) as well. See the attached picture.

@Sailor Kenshin has confirmed that the converters do NOT work in the Sheaffer School pens.

The Sheaffer converter is roughly 67.5mm long. By comparison, a disposable Sheaffer cartridge is about 52mm. The barrel is 17mm wide and 46mm long. The plastic black grip that one would twist to extend or retract the piston is 21.5mm long and tapers from 6mm to just under 5mm. Its full length is about 2mm shorter than a standard Jinhao twist converter and 2mm longer a Platinum twist converter.

The Sheaffer's twist piston converter's window is tinted a dark grey for whatever reason. There is no agitator. The movement is smooth but the one that I have opened clicks as the piston is extended. The grip portion wiggles a bit (ie, not perfect fit and finish) but doesn't wiggle or make noise when shaken. The single rubber seal is very thin. The metal reinforcements might be glued on. I didn't dare torque it too much and break my new purchase. It seems like it might be difficult or impossible to fully disassemble for cleaning and maintenance.

Sheaffer-Converter.jpg

I've never felt compelled to take a Sheaffer converter apart, unless it's to replace the latex sac on a black end squeeze converter with a PVC sac.  Cleaning a piston converter can be accomplished by working the piston up and down with the end in water, or flushing with a syringe stuck in the end,  and then shaking the water out. 

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I use the same methods for cleaning piston converters. I've had a few occasions where ink/water/moisture somehow finds its way on the wrong side of the piston's seal. I've also had a converter that would want to freeze up and need a dab of grease. Converters that are easy to disassemble are second only to those that don't have the occasional issue. Easily disassembled converters that don't need maintenance are best.