Best fancy paper for fountain pen writing?

Fountain PenDa

New paper (actually first time buying fancy paper). The writing is by my gf despite my monogram 😜. Do you have any recommendations for paper good for fountain pen writing?

She wrote with Pilot’s parallel pen. 

189747934_Roesslerpaperwithwritingparallelpen.thumb.jpg.467e7d31721acae2debc45210113efef.jpg

679063373_paperroessler.thumb.jpg.68e12a59a4d65a7e7ca7a133c7e0c106.jpg

I am currently creating solutons to store/display fountain pen ink (bottled ink), fountain pens and accessories for my growing collection (and also for you guys). Your input/feedback/comment will help to shape the solutions!

I have a number of ideas - also some new ideas inspired by the input from some of you. Please feel free to follow me here, my Instagram and/or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Fountain.Penda. I am going to share my sketches/ideas/prototypes there from time to time to get your opinions, refine them and potentially produce them. The more input I get the more likely I would produce them. Thanks!  #fountainpenda

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• Fountain PenDa

• Toolattack

• 51ISH

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It looks like a good paper a 'laid' paper, of 100g should be good.

I don't know this paper but think I'll try to lay hands on it.

Laid paper are laid on a metal screen to give the paper some structure as it dries a bit, it is a very old process....and often hard to find.....so keep your supply line open for that paper.

I like two toned shading which out side some Japanes paper, needs 90g or better outside of the French Rhoda 80g....which is from my recent reading a bit better for shading than the 90g Rhoda paper I have. Smooth and slick.

Another  very well liked slick paper is Clairefontaine Triomphe 90g.

I also like Clairefontaine Veloute` 90g, which is = to Oxford Optic 90g....I have those in spiral binders.............Oxford Optic 90g is used in the Red&Black Notebook. So it, both are good papers....Many times a spiral binder is what I need, and use, as a bit cheaper and easier for me to find in Germany.

We no longer live in The Golden Age of Paper which died unnoticed by us Ball Point Pen Barbarians some time in the '80's. But good to better paper can be had.,,,if one hunts.

It is a Sin against Humanity to stick such paper in a printer.

I suggest buying a ream or box or sealed pad like you have of good to better papers with every three inks you buy. In no time you will have a very nice assortment of fun paper. I probably have some 40 papers, ...which in my view....makes me a 'noobie'. :unsure:

There is much to learn about papers.........and it is fun to learn; there is no tests.:bunny01:

Paper is the dance floor your nib and ink tango on.

Writing is 1/3 nib width/flex, 1/3 paper and 1/3 ink, and in that order.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

1 hour ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

Laid paper are laid on a metal screen to give the paper some structure as it dries a bit, it is a very old process....and often hard to find.....so keep your supply line open for that paper.

I like two toned shading which out side some Japanes paper, needs 90g or better outside of the French Rhoda 80g....which is from my recent reading a bit better for shading than the 90g Rhoda paper I have. Smooth and slick.

I also like Clairefontaine Veloute` 90g, which is = to Oxford Optic 90g....I have those in spiral binders.............Oxford Optic 90g is used in the Red&Black Notebook. So it, both are good papers....Many times a spiral binder is what I need, and use, as a bit cheaper and easier for me to find in Germany.

We no longer live in The Golden Age of Paper which died unnoticed by us Ball Point Pen Barbarians some time in the '80's. But good to better paper can be had.,,,if one hunts.

I suggest buying a ream or box or sealed pad like you have of good to better papers with every three inks you buy. In no time you will have a very nice assortment of fun paper. I probably have some 40 papers, ...which in my view....makes me a 'noobie'. :unsure:

There is much to learn about papers.........and it is fun to learn; there is no tests.:bunny01:

😂🤣🤣🤣

I probably have some 40 papers, ...which in my view....makes me a 'noobie'. :unsure:

Joined FPN in 2009  24K+  posts.....  'noobie..... 🤣🤣🤣

OP  What Bo Bo Olson said 👍

When one feels one don't quite grasp paper having only 40,....'noobie' beats the hell out of always enjoying the great outdoors in the pouring rain.

Paper is more complicated than I thought.

I will admit to doing it all wrong.

First I bought lots of 'cheap/vintage pens. Middle priced new pens were way too expensive....and I was in the Pen of the Week in the Mail Club....don't join.

Pen of the quarter gets you a researched and more expensive better pen.

Then I fell into the ink pot....until I grew gills.................then found the basic 4 papers at Aldi school sale :rolleyes:***, and ran into town with a wallet that eventually grew cranky as I found out there is a hell of a lot of ball point paper out there.

***Only had the good paper at the school sale for two years. The first year I was cautious (dumb). The second year doubled the buy (near as dumb as the year before) ....and the third year when I was going to send four assorted papers to half the world........ didn't happen:crybaby:. It wasn't carried for that school year.

But it did teach me the start of paper.

Laid, hammered, linen effect and marbled.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

@Fountain PenDa where in the world are you? In the  UK we have for correspondence at least Three Candlesticks and Basildon Bond made by Hamelin brands. I also like Clairefontaine paper 

Mark from the Latin Marcus follower of mars, the god of war.

Yorkshire Born, Yorkshire Bred. 

my current favourite author is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

largebronze-letter-exc.pngflying-letter-exc.png

33 minutes ago, Karmachanic said:

Of that list, I have these...Crown Mill is a 100 and or 50% cotton paper. Mine is 100% cotton, so is soft to write on, but does not shade in most 100% rag/cotton per don't. 25% Cotton mostly will.

I have two G.Lalo papers,

I normally chase heavier papers....and chase shading.

These papers I'm sure are available at 90-100g.

So I have Velin pur coton, 125g 50% cotton. one full pack and one half pack...had it for a while so don't use it much. in at 50% cotton it don't shade or shade enough that I used it all up. Nice to write on.

Just a bit 2/3rds or 1/4th a package, of Verge de France 160 g, 25% cotton...can be had normally at @ 90g, is 25% cotton a rougher laid paper, so a M or a B nib does well there.

I like it but before I run out of the 160g have to get some normal 90g. Most folk rave about the 90g, and few to none other than me talk about the 160g.

Then I can really tell which one I want to re-order. I have to admit it has been a few years since I last used ti.

So when looking at papers, look heavier paper...I do not think of 32 pound/120g paper as 'heavy' that starts at 150g or more...for me.

My mistake was not ordering normal weigh and heavy weight paper both, but my wallet is always right, even when not.

@Bo Bo Olson I'm also a shading fan, but I'll occasionally sacrifice that for the luxurious feeling in hand for the recipient, along with a beautiful ink.

Add lightness and simplicate.

23 hours ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

@Bo Bo Olson Wow I really appreciate your sharing! You answered many of my questions plus some questions-to-be-asked (which I am not yet able to do so. Now I understood what is laid paper thanks to you - because I also bought some envelopes from another brand which says "laid paper" which I had no idea what it meant haha

Two tone shaded paper? That sounds interesting. Will google it. It seems that the world of fountain pen, ink and paper is a much bigger and sophisticated world than I had expected. 

Thanks for the recommendations. Noted them down. Will do them slowly and one-by-one :)

Talking about spiral binders... I studied in England long time ago and I used to get some "treasury tags" from the school office to hold papers together (until the lady retired and replaced by someone who said that "you should not ask for that. it is expensive!"). But I almost cannot find them in Germany. I really like using them. 

That's a pity regarding golden age of paper. That's why we need to support the industry by buying from them!

I can imagine that I will have many pens, inks and paper in no time - better develop my display and storage solutions faster than later - at least for myself haha!

I am currently creating solutons to store/display fountain pen ink (bottled ink), fountain pens and accessories for my growing collection (and also for you guys). Your input/feedback/comment will help to shape the solutions!

I have a number of ideas - also some new ideas inspired by the input from some of you. Please feel free to follow me here, my Instagram and/or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Fountain.Penda. I am going to share my sketches/ideas/prototypes there from time to time to get your opinions, refine them and potentially produce them. The more input I get the more likely I would produce them. Thanks!  #fountainpenda

2 hours ago, Mark from Yorkshire said:

@Fountain PenDa where in the world are you? In the  UK we have for correspondence at least Three Candlesticks and Basildon Bond made by Hamelin brands. I also like Clairefontaine paper 

@Mark from Yorkshire I am based in Germany. I did live in the UK say 20 years ago (can't believe that I am not that young anymore..). Not sure I remember them. Hopefully, I can fetch some here or the next time when I have business trip to London (was there a few weeks ago).

1 hour ago, Karmachanic said:

@Karmachanic Thanks for the ideas. I am glad that finally this time when someone suggesting this, I have heard of at least one of them ;). Bought a tiny Smythson note book years ago at London airport when waiting for our flights with my then boss. And heard about Original Crown Mill (somehow). Will check them out!

@fountain penda try WHSmith the next time you are in London/UK or Ryman they both stock Basildon Bond, that or look online for Hamlin brand.

Mark from the Latin Marcus follower of mars, the god of war.

Yorkshire Born, Yorkshire Bred. 

my current favourite author is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

largebronze-letter-exc.pngflying-letter-exc.png

2 minutes ago, Fountain PenDa said:

@Karmachanic Thanks for the ideas. I am glad that finally this time when someone suggesting this, I have heard of at least one of them ;). Bought a tiny Smythson note book years ago at London airport when waiting for our flights with my then boss. And heard about Original Crown Mill (somehow). Will check them out!

Oh no silly me...just checked. The envelopes that I bought with the paper are from Crown Mill!

1 minute ago, Mark from Yorkshire said:

@fountain penda try WHSmith the next time you are in London/UK or Ryman they both stock Basildon Bond, that or look online for Hamlin brand.

@Mark from Yorkshire Thanks mate. Am glad to know that it is not in some exotic hard-to-find shops but WHSmith. Will check that out next time!

@Bo Bo Olson I'm also a shading fan, but I'll occasionally sacrifice that for the luxurious feeling in hand for the recipient, along with a beautiful ink.

Silly question from a beginner in this field (paper): what do you guys mean by shading? 😅 And why cotton paper makes a difference?

but I'll occasionally sacrifice that for the luxurious feeling in hand for the recipient, along with a beautiful ink.

I seldom did, I seldom use my 100% cotton Original Crown Mill or Strathmore paper.

A long time ago, I once bought a few sheets of Rossler 120g at €0.80 a sheet, and it was so sinfully nice to write on, it would be illegal to use on Sunday in Kansas.....a bleed through champion.  Of course it swallowed the shading....but feathering and bleed through ruined the feeling.

I was glad I only had a couple sheets of that Rossler....I don't care for any Rossler papers from expensive to 'cheap' pads....a feathering paper brand. I had three or four sorts of it (that ended up in my printer!!!):wallbash:...in it was a big German 'name.' brand, that may have been worth a dam back in the '80's but not now.

Fountain PenDa....50-100% cotton wicks the ink deep and fast. Shading is from the ink sitting on top of the paper for a little bit, where the letter is thick, the ink is slower to absorb  by the paper so is darker.

Three of these inks shade...click on a couple times until you get the max size.

I was doing a violet comparison and three of the inks shaded.

r1HGLFV.jpg

Printing will often show more shading than cursive.

41 minutes ago, Fountain PenDa said:

But I almost cannot find them in Germany. I really like using them. 

Mostly I wans't able to find Oxfore Optic 90g south of Frankfurt for a decade so used Clairefontaine Velote 90g which is equal.

Both are nice somewhat slick paper that will shade, shading inks.

Not perhaps quite as good as Clairefontaine Triomphe  or 80g Rhoda which can be ordered online.

I'd have to get in nit-picking mode to know  Triomphe and Rhoda is better.

In our hobby of fountain pens....being baptized in holy nit-picking water is required.

Galeria Kaufhause, and Horton's is where I find that spiral notebook Clairefontaine Velote`.

Now with in the last two or three years I can find Oxford Optic at the bigger REVA super markets and Edika's top of the line Scheck-in Center.

:wallbash: I am rather old fashioned, and buy hands on, instead of first looking in the net.:rolleyes:

Artoz is Swiss, I started out liking, their 'Finest' but half way through the pad, no longer.

I still have the Artoz Buetten paper to test...just tested it with 5 inks and pens...shaded on 4...the 5th might be a too wet a nib, a Maxi-semi-flex M.

Sometimes a semi-flex can be a bit  too wet for shading, much less a maxi, or superflex.

I do like regular flex (= Japanese soft)for shading,) it's a soft springy nib, that is a bit drier than a semi-flex the next level up the flex ladder. So is not as wet as semi-flex.

Sometimes depending on paper and ink, semi-flex works well,  so it doesn't always perform poorly with shading. There is that possibility.

I'd say a vellum or laid paper of good reputation should be nice.

Best? With so many out there is difficult to think anyone can have tried them all, and even then, probably the answer would depend on the final intended use.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.