A bit of fun... 'You have 30 seconds to decide. You can only ever have one fountain pen. Which is it to be?'

51ISH

I'll start.... anyone who has been watching my recent threads won't be at all surprised....For me it's  my Bejing Jin Xing 28  (I discovered today it's

Jin Xing, not 'Jinxing' ????)  Do I own more expensive pens...absolutely....Do I own any fountain pen that is used more, or is inked more than the Jin Xing...No.

I've just realized.... today is the first time I have ever cleaned this pen.....It's been constantly refilled with Aurora Black, in constant use, and has behaved impeccably.

So, what pen would you choose?

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 51ISH

• corniche

• inkstainedruth

• Mercian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ooh, only ONE?  That's a toughie.  I'd have a lot of trouble because I have SOOO many good writers.  

But I'll say the Plum Demi Parker 51.  Lovely smooth M nib, perfect size and weight, and of course I got it for a pretty good price (best eBay "poker face" ever, because I didn't goof around in bidding.  Bid what I thought was a fair price (someone else had bid the minimum), put a maximum that I could afford, and kept my fingers crossed.  And NEVER got outbid.... :D

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Ruth, I think that might have taken you more than 30 seconds to decide. Play by the rules! 😉

8 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

Ooh, only ONE?  That's a toughie.  I'd have a lot of trouble because I have SOOO many good writers.  

But I'll say the Plum Demi Parker 51.  Lovely smooth M nib, perfect size and weight, and of course I got it for a pretty good price (best eBay "poker face" ever, because I didn't goof around in bidding.  Bid what I thought was a fair price (someone else had bid the minimum), put a maximum that I could afford, and kept my fingers crossed.  And NEVER got outbid.... :D

I'm not sure why, but I never thought you would have picked a P51 as your 'one and only'... I have a P51 in Burgandy and it was my first Vintage pen (1960 ish) It's a Fine.... and I should have purchased a Medium.  Depending on the ink, it sometimes feels great.... and sometimes not so much even using Aurora Black exclusively 🙁

11 minutes ago, yubaprof said:

Ruth, I think that might have taken you more than 30 seconds to decide. Play by the rules! 😉

I was typing on another thread,  so I didn't notice 🙂  She was pretty 'Quick on the draw' to me! 👍   What's your choice of pen?

For me, that would be any of my Kim ACR Jumbo pens. These pens fit so perfectly in my hands as if they were specifically made for me. Love them.

large.1225510785_IMG_20211204_1600224782.jpg.60992958226991bcb950253772bf98d3.jpg

4 minutes ago, K Singh said:

For me, that would be any of my Kim ACR Jumbo pens. These pens fit so perfectly in my hands as if they were specifically made for me. Love them.

large.1225510785_IMG_20211204_1600224782.jpg.60992958226991bcb950253772bf98d3.jpg

I've done a quick search...that's my kind of pen.  If you know of a supplier that is available in, or ships to the UK send me a link please.

58 minutes ago, yubaprof said:

Yeah, you're probably right. :blush:  But NEVER expect a Libra to make a snap decision about ANYTHING....

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

50 minutes ago, 51ISH said:

I'm not sure why, but I never thought you would have picked a P51 as your 'one and only'... I have a P51 in Burgandy and it was my first Vintage pen (1960 ish) It's a Fine.... and I should have purchased a Medium.  Depending on the ink, it sometimes feels great.... and sometimes not so much even using Aurora Black exclusively 🙁

Oh I could just as easily have picked one of the Pelikans, or the Red Shadow Wave Vac, or the Shrek "Puss in Boots" Vector; or even the nicely tuned 51 Vac with the EF nib.  

But the Plum Demi is the one they'll have to pry from my cold dead hands.   Unless of course I can ever get a full size one....

5 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

Yeah, you're probably right. :blush:  But NEVER expect a Libra to make a snap decision about ANYTHING....

Libra and Gemini compatibility ..... they are made for each other. They are easy-going, sharp, smart, friendly, and good with words. Geminis are ruled by Mercury, while Libras are ruled by Venus.   🥰

Really?  I don't know a lot of Geminis (or at least know people who I KNOW were born under that sign).  My husband is an Aries, and Air and Fire do work well together (but just as I was writing that, I realized that it could also be, um,  combustible... :o).

5 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

Oh I could just as easily have picked one of the Pelikans, or the Red Shadow Wave Vac, or the Shrek "Puss in Boots" Vector; or even the nicely tuned 51 Vac with the EF nib.  

But the Plum Demi is the one they'll have to pry from my cold dead hands.   Unless of course I can ever get a full size one....

You wouldn't believe how much time I spent looking at Pelikans around 10 years ago.... that tourtoishell brown ....😍 Not a fan of the one with the white section and cap if I'm honest, but the brown....😍  Next was the traditional green.

8 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

Really?  I don't know a lot of Geminis (or at least know people who I KNOW were born under that sign).  My husband is an Aries, and Air and Fire do work well together (but just as I was writing that, I realized that it could also be, um,  combustible... :o).

I'd like to be able to say 'I don't fit the normal Gemini male traits' But I've just Googled them, and I'd be lying ....🙂

1 hour ago, 51ISH said:

I've done a quick search...that's my kind of pen.  If you know of a supplier that is available in, or ships to the UK send me a link please.

These pens have been out of production for a while now. kiwipens.com used to sell them earlier internationally. Do check with them once. 

My Franklin Christoph model 20 with Kirk Speer 0.2mm PO nib.

What have you done with the cat? It looks half dead.

~ Schrödinger's wife

4 minutes ago, K Singh said:

These pens have been out of production for a while now. kiwipens.com used to sell them earlier internationally. Do check with them once. 

That's a shame. Thanks for the info 👍