OMAS 2023 relaunch

lionelc

Hot from my inbox - it seems that Ancora who bought out the OMAS name has started on a relaunch.  Received this email from Chatterley about the OMAS 222 in blue saffron.  Thoughts about this latest iteration of OMAS much appreciated - here's hoping that there will be a Paragon sometime in the future.

https://chatterleyluxuries.com/product/omas-ogiva-extra-blue-saffron-222-limited-edition-fountain-pen/

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lionelc

• Uncial

• Seney724

• Harold

It is not Ancora at the head of the "relaunch", but Caltagirone, who obtained from Ancora the rights to use OMAS' name in the US (I do not know if temporarily or whatever) and a team of Italian artisans based in Naples. But, apart from the name, they are not OMAS pens.

If anybody was seriously intended in a "relaunch" of OMAS, he should work from the basis, with a few current lines in resin - like, to say, Paragon/Milord/Dama, Grand Paragon+ New Milord and maybe 360 - priced at the correct point. No need of celluloid, if not for special editions. This "launch" is only a way to produce other pens with OMAS celluloid, now branded OMAS but without OMAS' aura, at a price point that made them "exclusive". Poor OMAS... cannot rest even in the grave. 

One of the members over at the "other" pen forum went to the LA Pen Show and these Omas pens were available at the nibs.com table. He wasn't impressed by the poor QC and his friend who was about to purchase one finally declined after handling 3 that had problems. You can read about the new Omas pens from Post #11 on...

linky:   https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/25165-Omas-revival

All the Best.

thanks everyone - appreciate it all the comments - may have saved me quite a lot of cash.  i was intrigued by all the modern omas nibs they had placed into these pens, dont actually have a modern omas nib and was willing to give this new omas a try ... at least initially

I know the Scribo shapes are not to everyone's taste (getting one in your hand may prove a huge surprise, in a good way) but if you want an Omas writing experience these nibs are really incredibly similar to the originals. Very pleasing pens. I love the comfort of the Feel, but do hope for a more classic design from them in the future.

3 hours ago, Uncial said:

I know the Scribo shapes are not to everyone's taste (getting one in your hand may prove a huge surprise, in a good way) but if you want an Omas writing experience these nibs are really incredibly similar to the originals. Very pleasing pens. I love the comfort of the Feel, but do hope for a more classic design from them in the future.

I think a lot of people would buy a "Scribo 360". Personally, I would have bought a Feel years ago if it didn't have that hideous lettering plastered across the nib(it looks like something you'd find in a 1990s Fisher-Price advert), but instead had a nice dual tone design like the Paragon arrows from OMAS. They're expensive enough to be picky about such things, in my opinion.

thanks @Uncial, i have got one of the scribo pens - they work well for me.  it was the arrow nib look i was going for, a small thing i guess but it just looks classy.  @Harold, agree with you there.  i have one of the old extra lucens nibs as well - probably one of the best writers i have.

It does appear that they are using old stock Omas nibs, but to be honest, unless you really, really want that particular celluloid, you can buy an old Omas on eBay for an awful lot less money.

4 hours ago, Uncial said:

It does appear that they are using old stock Omas nibs, but to be honest, unless you really, really want that particular celluloid, you can buy an old Omas on eBay for an awful lot less money.

Of course!  If you want an Omas....buy an Omas!!  Really, really nice ones are easily found at prices much less than what ASC/PenFamily asks for their faux Omas.

@lionelc, I agree, I think the vintage Omas Extra Lucens nibs are the best nibs ever manufactured by anyone, anywhere!

I'd happily buy another vintage 360, but my issue is that it's the BBB nib that I'm after(which Scribo does offer, majorly to their credit). OMAS either exclusively produced BBBs for their 90th anniversary three-pen sets with a slightly unique arrow stamping and gold-out dual tone plating(it's gold-in on the regular dual tone Paragon nibs), or they only ever produced a handful of them for use on other pen models, to the point where I've never even seen a picture of an OMAS BBB nib outside of those anniversary sets. I definitely can't afford one of those, even if it's only one of them on its own and not the whole set!

• 4 weeks later...

I also saw the “OMAS” pens at the LA show and thought them

fat and ugly. 

Ironically, I actually prefer the original cotton resin pens that OMAS made, maybe because they can’t be reproduced from turned acrylic or celluloid rods.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

On 2/24/2023 at 9:45 PM, Harold said:

I think a lot of people would buy a "Scribo 360". Personally, I would have bought a Feel years ago if it didn't have that hideous lettering plastered across the nib(it looks like something you'd find in a 1990s Fisher-Price advert), but instead had a nice dual tone design like the Paragon arrows from OMAS. They're expensive enough to be picky about such things, in my opinion.

I’ve had the same opinion for a couple years. I check every few months to see if they changed the nib design and as soon as they do I’ll probably buy one. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/24/2023 at 7:28 PM, Uncial said:

I've had the opportunity to write with a friend's Scribo. Their nibs do indeed feel like OMAS, though the aesthetics turn me off, and I already have several 360's for my OMAS nib fix.

I've only seen photos of these relaunched OMAS's, so I won't offer any judgement on them. To me the ASC pens feel more like Deltas made with OMAS celluloid. I enjoy them but no pen will please everyone.