Lamy 2000, Is it worth it?

Nhartist40

12 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

So, uh.... yeah.... I dislike my Lamy 2000.  I feel completely alone in this dislike. I don't know if my expectations were too high or if I really dislike the OB nib and I would like the pen with a different nib.

Now don't get me wrong, the price was great and I bought a brand new pen.  Sigh. I wanted to love it.  I just really prefer the vintage MB 225 with a BB nib.  I used it for three fills and the pen sits in my cabinet. 

Lamy used to 'exchange' the nib for one of a 'similar condition' from what I have read here recently they still offer a 'Lifetime warranty' so most likely they still do something along the same lines. Would be worth dropping them an email to ask, they can only say 'No'.  The draw back is the pen used to have to be returned to Germany, at least mine did! Turnaround time was about 6 weeks

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RJS

• 51ISH

• SashK

• Nhartist40

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, 51ISH said:

Lamy used to 'exchange' the nib for one of a 'similar condition' from what I have read here recently they still offer a 'Lifetime warranty' so most likely they still do something along the same lines. Would be worth dropping them an email to ask, they can only say 'No'.  The draw back is the pen used to have to be returned to Germany, at least mine did! Turnaround time was about 6 weeks

It probably is, but I think I'll give it as a gift or exchange for another pen.  Thank you however for the awesome advice.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

4 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

It probably is, but I think I'll give it as a gift or exchange for another pen.  Thank you however for the awesome advice.

No worries :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Yes.

The pen isn't much to look at, but that, I suppose, is the idea.  It's minimalist lines are lovely.  As are the feel of the body and nib on paper.

Mine is a garden variety medium nib with standard grey Makrolon.  It's fun to disassemble and easy to re-assemble, so caring for it is not a burden.  It's construction is robust and its performance consistent. 

I love my 2000.  Besides the fact that it's an "icon" per se, I feel it's a great daily writer with a minimalistic appeal. I have a fine nib Makrolon version, and it is a constant in my rotation. Plus it rarely ever leaks on me.  I never have a hard start either.  It impresses me too how the piston knob becomes almost indiscernible compared to the barrel of the pen when screwed completely in.   Just my 2 cents on the piece.

"Live like you were dying" ~Tim McGraw.  Truer words have never been spoken, and you'll never know that until you've had to fight for your life.

• 1 month later...

I’m in the small amount of people who don’t really care for it.

My one was not that good from the start (running dry problem) and the sweet spot drove me mad.

I can see how people would like it though but it just don’t do it for me.

I have one with an EF nib. The nib doesn't write well at all. I contacted Lamy Canada and they told me it was too long since the purchase of the pen to exchange the nib. I bought it around 2-3 years ago but never used it because of how poorly the nib performs. It's a shame. They even dissuaded me from contacting Lamy Germany, as they told me I would be referred back to Lamy Canada. 

My M nib one works fine though. My complaints with that pen have more to do with the convex section design but that is a design choice that is more subjective. 

i used both medium and fine nib lamy 2000 for long time. i think its one of the best pens for daily use

• 5 weeks later...

Absolutely. The Lamy 2000 is what I've consider a true daily workhorse pen. The design is cool and iconic but the pen is more low key than anything. You kinda forget it is there, but you pick it up anyway, and write with it. You forget you're holding it and twenty minutes go by. It is a wonderful no distraction pen. You just do the work. The pen just writes flawlessly without getting in the way. With some other pens I always notice and look at the pen, the nib, etc. 

But of course as with everything FP, all aspects are deeply personal. As such I get it when people say it is too slim at the base (not me, I hold it further up), or that the sweet spot it difficult (I'd say it is unique, so it throws people off). I agree with them. I think the nib is pretty stubbish and wide, so if you rotate it too far it sits on its side, like skateboard coming to a stop. Certainly the shape is unique. 

I've got two Lamy 2000 pens and I want a third. The broader the better. 

On another note everyone recommends the Safari, and so it became my first adult-me FP and good grief I still get worked up whenever I think about it. It just wasn't for me at all. If I stopped at that Safari I would have missed out on this amazing obsession. I'm glad I kept going.  Oh and my first ink was Lamy "red". Anyone who's tried it or seen a swatch understands the scare quotes. What a confusing first week! 

I keep that Safari as a reminder to not bail after the first experience being a bad one. 

Also, does anyone know why it is called Lamy Red? :) 

8 hours ago, SashK said:

Also, does anyone know why it is called Lamy Red? :) 

If you leave it evaporate long enough, it will become red :D

But more seriously I think that's one of the worst "basic" red from pen manufacturers...Platinum red is quite a translucent pink too.

I don't understand why Lamy green is so criticized but not Lamy red?

4 hours ago, Lithium466 said:

If you leave it evaporate long enough, it will become red :D

But more seriously I think that's one of the worst "basic" red from pen manufacturers...Platinum red is quite a translucent pink too.

I don't understand why Lamy green is so criticized but not Lamy red?

I agree with you 100% - it is a terrible red ink. But I do appreciate that leaving it in the pen can fix it. haha! :D 

As to Lamy green vs red, I'm not sure, but in my experience I have seen more complaints on the red than the green. But I doubt either one is being hoarded by fellow FPNers :) 

And now I've got to go look up Lamy green!

edit: Gaah! 

Edited by SashK

I bought my Lamy 2000 Black Amber not so long ago and do not regret it.

While I have mixed emotions about the visual appearance of the closed pen, the pure pen body, without cap, excites me as any other aesthetic masterpiece does.

Not unimportant, it writes perfectly balanced ink lines while gliding softly over the paper.

One life!

I am in love with the brand simply because they don't look like every other cigar shaped fountain pen.  I find the Safari writes well, and I love the Lamy 2000, but I just got a Lamy Nexx, and it is a good writer too.  There pens are not boring.  The Accent is weird, but also really fun, if you can actually find someone to sell you the custom grips.  I even like the Lamy Imporium.

Lamy pens in general are stinkers in the looks department, besides the Emporium. The issue with Lamy, is when moving to their higher end pens, the price seems a bit outrageous for what you get. Ie., Many better pens for the same price.

I do enjoy my 3 Lamy Safari, 2000, and the emporium. But I would be hard pressed to buy another Lamy.

Well, I am in that small group of pen enthusiasts who is disappointed with the L2.  Mine has a

broad nib, and dries out quickly.  I gave up on the pen after 3-5 attempts.  I had given thought

to having the nib reground to a med. So far have not done that, so the pen sits in a pen case,

looking like a minimalist, however, getting no use.  My $28 Picasso Avignon is a better writing

experience than the more costly Lamy L2.  i do enjoy the Lamy Safari, Lamy Al-Star and Aion,

but the 2000 is a costly disappointment  (top down). #1 - Jinhao 80

#2 - Picasso Avignon. 

#3 - L2 

IMG20230707005914_01.thumb.jpg.d6c74e2d3a0b359510d342e2d09097b4.jpg#3 - L2

Lithium466: There is some variation in behaviour of Safari's.

I have a Vista I see no reason to play about with to increase ink flow. Most pens as they come usually write on the dry side, which means getting out the shims.

Ink should be accurately named. Red ink should be like freshly-spilt blood, not the wash water you used to clean the scene of the crime.

That applies to any maker of ink.

The 2K is too narrow for my taste.

2 hours ago, Dip n Scratch said:

Ink should be accurately named

You mean like Sierra Mist, Evening Bell or Voltaic Ark?   Blue? 

Add lightness and simplicate.

Many inks require us to use a bit of mental gymnastics to connect the name with the color.

Personally L2K I have is quite broad. It is a B that is easily a BB. Lucky for me I haven't reached for any nib in the F family since my first year in this community. Even the M nibs should run a little wild if possible. So it's not a bother for my needs. 

18 hours ago, Dip n Scratch said:

Lithium466: There is some variation in behaviour of Safari's.

That's an understatement. I'm astonished at the lack of consistency their nibs show

Not sure why that was addressed to me, maybe I'm missing something, I think that was more for SashK?

(I don't have a Safari, just some Chinese Safari clones)

However +1 on the disappointing lack of consistency in the Z50 nibs (can't speak much for their other nibs). I recently got a EF Scala, and that was the first in 6 or 7 EF Z50 nibs that actually feels nice and smooth out of the box, AND can be called EF.
I didn't care about the Z50 as I only got the pen for a spare Z55 I had, but so far I kept the Z50 in use...a first!