Wow! A very expensive note pad

Toolattack

Many years ago I was given a beautiful Hermes pebble finished leather notepad cover (which I love).

Over the time since I have used it sparingly, but this Christmas I filled the last page.

So with great trepidation I journeyed to the Hermes Bond Street store in London to buy a replacement pad of paper (before you ask, it has poppers to hold it in place so only a Hermes replacement will fit).

The price of the replacement pad (100 pages) was £65 (Approx $80) supplied in a smart orange box.

I'd be interested to know if others have stories of notepad refills being equally overpriced!

1.thumb.jpg.3b8a374d6c857922c6c9a4503a97b3cb.jpg2.thumb.jpg.1c9621d45ccf7d82a4b66ec06c70d6b8.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Toolattack

• Horseflesh

• Penguincollector

• PAKMAN

Wow that does seem quite high! But I guess if it lasts you several years that may not be so bad.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

If it's the pad pictured, the wire binding looks kind of like the Wire-O standard. Does it match one of these?

Wire-Bind-Pitch-Comparison-2-1-vs-3-1-Pitch-OnlineSkyline-L.png

What are the paper dimensions? Is it a standard size? 

AdobeStock_324377991?$pjpeg$&jpegSize=200&wid=720

If the paper and wire binding are industry standard sizes, it should be possible to have a new insert made that matches the picture. I don't know what "poppers" you are referring to, what prevents cloning the pictured item and putting it in the cover? 

I looked at Hermes stuff and that seems like a $600 cover, wow. It better write good ideas for you. ;) 

Thanks @Horseflesh - very informative and the pad is similar to the 2:1 pitch you show.

The poppers are on a plastic panel on the back of the pad which fix to poppers on the inside of the cover to hold the notepad in place (I have attached
a very clumsy photo!).

I agree, a very generous gift - albeit probably a bit cheaper when it was purchased.

2A7EAF5A-A7CB-46B4-87F6-F6FB7CD707BD.jpeg

Thanks for the photo, that makes sense. 

If the paper and binding are standard sizes, I can think of one other way to defy Hermes. 

You can cut away the binding on the used refill -- now you have a stack of loose papers. Remove the "popper" and re-bind the papers with a new wire spine. Bind a new stack of papers, re-using the original "popper." Now your used papers are preserved, and you have a new refill ready to go. 

Anyone with a wire-o binding machine could do this in just a few minutes... Again, assuming the binding and paper is a standard size.

Unfortunately having only one of the original "popper" inserts means you cannot have a print shop make you a dozen refills at once, since you have to move that part between them. 

Now, if the snap closure is a standard size, you could figure that out, and make your own inserts... Haha, I like to make things complicated. 

I hope you can find an alternative... Apparently I am cheap because I like the thought of figuring this out!

I did a quick search for compatible refills and a forum post elsewhere said Paperchase in London sold Hermes-compatible refills. 

Anyway... Good luck!

The Hermes leather note pad cover looks very nice. I wish someone will send me one as a gift because I will not be able to spend that kind of money in a note pad cover. Enjoy it.

Please tell us how the Hermès paper behaves with fountain pens and the dimensions of the paper. The Hermès US website does not show the cover or the refill in this size, although there are two smaller sizes. UK and French websites show the GM size refills, but not the cover, so hang onto it!

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

That paper looks really nice, that texture seems like it would feel neat to write on. Is it embossed as well?  If you still have the old refill, I would try taking the clear section off the cover and removing it from the spiral wire carefully, then placing some velcro tape on it and a notebook of the same size and see if that secues the notebook to the cover. 

Top 5 of 23 currently inked pens:

Namiki Origami Tradition maki-e Penguin F, Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku

Sailor X Sakazaki Penguin Pro Gear Slim MF, Sailor Manyo Konagi

Lamy 2000 EF, Diamine Purple Bow

Platinum Hibiscus SF short-long, Platinum Green

Indigo Bronze TWSBI Eco 1.1 Stub, De Atramentis Columbia Blue-Copper 

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

Thanks @Horseflesh and @Penguincollector - great suggestions. I have mentioned them to a crafter friend who says he can cut out a replacement plastic strip and the holes for the wire and add the poppers (he says they are a standard size. This will allow me to buy wire bound pads and use them in the cover - an elegant and cost effective solution that won’t hurt the cover!

How awesome that your friend can broaden the replacement possibilities for you!  I would love to read your paper review when you get to it. 

Top 5 of 23 currently inked pens:

Namiki Origami Tradition maki-e Penguin F, Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku

Sailor X Sakazaki Penguin Pro Gear Slim MF, Sailor Manyo Konagi

Lamy 2000 EF, Diamine Purple Bow

Platinum Hibiscus SF short-long, Platinum Green

Indigo Bronze TWSBI Eco 1.1 Stub, De Atramentis Columbia Blue-Copper 

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery