NoNonsense color range

Anne-Sophie

Masaka! I got rid of a new of my NN pens because I had SO many colors. Mow I'm sorry I did. It's one of my favorite pens, and a friend of mine sent me an EF nib that I switch out among my remaining pens.

I still have a red and a black, a burgundy marbled finish, a Pikachu-yellow color, and a translucent smoke and a green. The School Pen is similar, though I haven't tried to switchout nibs yet.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Taki

• Univer

• Sailor Kenshin

• Maja

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks to a very generous FPN member, I recently acquired several NOS NN. They are very nice and cheerful colors, and I like them because of their Iowa ties. I am even interested in getting some more interesting ones :) On the first page of this thread, I replied that I had a pastel green NN when I was in high school. Well, I finally found some photos of pastel ones. See the scans of Japanese Sheaffer catalog from 1986 in the blog below. However, I think my pastel green one had a chrome clip. Mine was actually a little older than 1986, and they might had regular clip one, or my memory is just playing a trick on me :) In Japanese catalog surfboard clip ones are called "Clip" :D

http://pelikan.livedoor.biz/archives/50897729.html

Edited by Taki

Those pastel pens are KAWAIIII!!! *i can read about five of the kana there*

Seriously WANT.

Thanks to a very generous FPN member, I recently acquired several NOS NN. They are very nice and cheerful colors, and I like them because of their Iowa ties. I am even interested in getting some more interesting ones :) On the first page of this thread, I replied that I had a pastel green NN when I was in high school. Well, I finally found some photos of pastel ones. See the scans of Japanese Sheaffer catalog from 1986 in the blog below. However, I think my pastel green one had a chrome clip. Mine was actually a little older than 1986, and they might had regular clip one, or my memory is just playing a trick on me :) In Japanese catalog surfboard clip ones are called "Clip" :D

http://pelikan.livedoor.biz/archives/50897729.html

Taki, thank you so much for posting the link! :thumbup: (I never would have found it myself as it is in Japanese... :embarrassed_smile: )

I don't recall any pale (pastel) Sheaffer NoNonsense pens myself, but there they are in the catalog!

After reading the catalog fine prints :D , the surfboard clip pastel ones are BPs. So maybe there were pastel FP with regular clip . I never knew they made NN mechanical pencil.

Maja, the "Le Bright"(?) are the surfboard clip one with contrasting color body. I wonder the barrels are the same kind of material as "Jellies" :hmm1: The yellow one with purple clip looks like Jellies, at least in the photo/scan.

Edited by Taki

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/yellowchaps/NN1.jpg

This NN Sheaffer called "Le Bordeaux" and I call it Aubergine. It has gold plated trim and nib, totally interchangeable with all other NN parts. The end of the barrel and cap are smooth, no indentations, no medallions. This one has a M nib. I'm not sure in the series when this one was made but I have an impression that it was very late. The picture was taken outside in the sun with flash, it looks a little darker inside or under artificail light.

There is also the Le Black (Le Blaque?) Same pen in black. Smooth ends and a metal insert in the end of the barrel to add weight and/or improve balance. The Old Timers share these features with the "Le" pens...

I'll try and snap a pic of my NN's and post it, but here's a duplicate that's winging off soon...

Sheaffer Vintage Blue Marbled NN

Click Thumbnail for LARGE image hosted on imageshack.us

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/5039/dsc00826eo0.th.jpg

Cheers!

Tom.

"There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't."

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/5673/inkdz2.png

Didn't someone say that all Sheaffer NN parts are interchangeable? So does that mean you could get a BP you liked and put a FP nib on it?

Didn't someone say that all Sheaffer NN parts are interchangeable? So does that mean you could get a BP you liked and put a FP nib on it?

Yes. I think the ballpoints have a spring in the barrel (at least some version of NN does), but even before I removed the spring in the 1st one I got in a "goodie bag" at a convention (which, BTW, was already fitted with an italic nib) the pen could be used with cartridges. After I removed the spring, the pen can take a converter.

Best, Ann

My pens, let me show you them... :)

Click the thumbnail for the LARGE image hosted on imageshack.us

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/6359/dsc00893afx4.th.jpg

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/9004/dsc00893yp4.jpg

Top: Stainless, LeBurg, LeBlack, All 4 Vintages, Translucents

Bottom: Gemtone (with Chrome disc insert), Scroll Cap, Herringbone OldTimer, Solid Colors

I lay the blame for this menagerie squarely at the feet of Jim "Penhero" Mamoulides and that wonderful NoNonsense page mentioned earlier in the thread...

Have fun out there! :)

Tom

"There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't."

Tom, thanks for posting the photo!! Ooooo I like Old Timer :puddle: It's interesting "LeBurg" and "LeBlack" have flat (no indentation) end on the barrel.

Edited by Taki

It's interesting "LeBurg" and "LeBlack" have flat (no indentation) end on the barrel.

correct and the OldTimer is the same. Cap and Barrel indentation on these is "filled in" with a solid cover of some sort. There's a seam at the edge that is visible under strong lighting...

Tom

Better Nate Thank Lever...err, that is, Better Late Than Never to the NN thread! :wacko: So, does this mean I should dig up all NN's buried away in the never-ending stash & post pics (or would aficianados buy them?)?

No Old Timers, but used to be a dealer for them & a hard-sell when they came out, but after Sheaffer discontinued them, man, everybody wanted them (hindsight, hindsight, hindsight!). May have Tektor Marker versions too w/dried-up refills still in them, we'll see...

Speaking of oldies but goodies, just bought two large bags of the 60's/70's "School" Cartridge FP's w/clear barrels, opaque barrels, rounded tops, domed flat-tops, etc. Not as sturdy as the NN, but still a popular writer!

DOC

My pens, let me show you them... :)

Click the thumbnail for the LARGE image hosted on imageshack.us

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/6359/dsc00893afx4.th.jpg

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/9004/dsc00893yp4.jpg

Top: Stainless, LeBurg, LeBlack, All 4 Vintages, Translucents

Bottom: Gemtone (with Chrome disc insert), Scroll Cap, Herringbone OldTimer, Solid Colors

I lay the blame for this menagerie squarely at the feet of Jim "Penhero" Mamoulides and that wonderful NoNonsense page mentioned earlier in the thread...

Have fun out there! :)

Tom

Ur translucents---I has dems. :P

I have a red trans and a smoke---I think I also once had a violet, but can't find it nao. :crybaby:

Would LOVE one of the white ones!

Better Nate Thank Lever...err, that is, Better Late Than Never to the NN thread! :wacko: So, does this mean I should dig up all NN's buried away in the never-ending stash & post pics (or would aficianados buy them?)?

Will be looking forward to seeing your photos, Doc!

Is white one difficult to get?

Edited by Taki

Nice collection, Tom! :clap1:

I don't have any of the opaque translucent ones yet (called "Jellies", I believe) and I have a Le Bordeaux (Le Burgundy?) but not Le Black, so I am on the lookout.... I passed on acquiring one of the scrolly-capped ones when Cam was selling them on FPN a long time ago, but that I seem to have built up a collection I will have to search around for one of those :)

In addition to the ones you have, I also have solid colours in Green, Cadmium Yellow (colour half-way between the yellow model and the dark orange one), Brown and Tan, and Gemtones in Hot Pink and Purple. I recently acquired a clear red NN from a good friend on FPN, but I have found them on eBay albeit with very $$ shipping prices to non-USA destinations.

Thanks again for sharing a photo of your collection. I wasn't aware of the existence of Le Black until I read your post on this page.

Edited by Maja

My favorite in the collection is a Black barrel with a White cap and Black musical scales & notes from top to just above chrome band. Nib is a steel Italic Broad (no Music nib, DARN!). Next in line would be a Navy Blue with a Mack Truck logo and the words: NO NONSENSE SAMPLE 720

I'll get pics done & post them today or tomorrow...

DOC

TRY THIS LINK

Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom - George S Patton

Follow me on Twitter

My favorite in the collection is a Black barrel with a White cap and Black musical scales & notes from top to just above chrome band. Nib is a steel Italic Broad (no Music nib, DARN!). Next in line would be a Navy Blue with a Mack Truck logo and the words: NO NONSENSE SAMPLE 720

I'll get pics done & post them today or tomorrow...

DOC

Hello there Doc,

I believe that "musical" NoNonsense went by the charming name of "Harmony," and was sold in a set with some Eaton stationery (not blank music manuscript paper, I'm afraid). I think it came as a ballpoint, too; in fact, I wonder if your pen might be a fountain pen retrofit.

No NoNonsense music nibs, regrettably; but you could always hunt up one of the shadow calligraphy nibs (at least it's got three tines).

Cheers,

Jon

TRY THIS LINK

Thank you very much, Fateh.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

May fortune favor the foolish. I'm going to take a tentative stab at listing all the opaque NoNonsense colors I'm aware of. For now, this is strictly a text list, simply because I regard it very much as a first draft/work in progress. I would love to have the help of other NN admirers in adding (or subtracting) information where appropriate. If we can come up with a list that represents our collective best guess at the color range, I'd be more than happy to post photos and add specific details (e.g. presence or absence of barrel-bottom "horseshoe," clip engraving, etc.) where possible. Hopefully others will do likewise.

A few preliminaries, though: I'm not including marbled, chased, transparent or semi-transparent models. Excluded, also, are "Kaleidoscope"-type models with sports graphics, floral designs, etc., as well as all-metal models, gold-plated-trim models and "Surfboard" models with contrasting clip colors. It's not that I'm indifferent to those other pens; I just think it might make sense to establish a baseline list of "standard" colors before branching out. So the focus here is strictly on the opaque-plastic, chrome-trim, screw-cap NoNonsense pens. Parenthetical notes indicate whether the color is known from a pen in my collection, from a catalog, photo, etc. - and whether the example is a FP or BP. "Known from photos" doesn't mean that the color exists only in photos; it just means that I haven't yet acquired an example!

Color names are descriptive...not, by any means, official Sheaffer names.

Here goes...

White (FP in my collection)

Black (FP in my collection)

Red (FP in my collection)

Orange-Red (FP in my collection, thanks to Maja)

Bright Yellow (ditto)

Cadmium Yellow-Orange (close to "safety" orange - FP in my collection)

Tan (known from photos - true Khaki color, said to be one of the original NN colors)

Brown (FP in my collection)

Dark Blue (FP in my collection)

Dark Green (known from photos/catalogs - I'm mildly surprised to discover I don't have one of these)

Purple (known from photos)

Pink (Chrome-clip BP in my collection; I assume the Surfboard pink model, known from catalogs, is the same shade, but that's not 100% certain...oh, and Maja - no horseshoe!)

Mustard (FP in my collection; not the Tan color - this could almost look slightly olive in the right light, but definitely a Mustard shade)

Cream (Chrome-clip promotional-sample BP in my collection - definitely not White or Tan)

Light Gray (Tagalong BP in my collection)

Aqua Blue (Surfboard promotional-sample BP in my collection - also known, with chrome clip, from catalogs)

Seafoam Green (Chrome-clip and Surfboard BPs known from catalogs)

Light Yellow (Chrome-clip and Surfboard BPs known from catalogs)

Conjectural colors:

Burgundy/Maroon: I reckon there must be a standard chrome-clip pen in the "Le Bordeaux" color - or maybe even a slightly different shade altogether. But I haven't seen one.

Other Blues: The existence of a cobalt/royal color would not surprise me. I have a dim recollection of seeing what must have been a NN prototype - no clip, no ringtop - in a blue lighter than the Dark Blue and darker than the Aqua. But that's not exactly evidence.

Other Greens: The Green NN shown at Jim's site (links earlier in the thread) looks almost like a dark Kelly Green rather than the Forest or Hunter that I associate with the Dark Green pen listed above. It wouldn't surprise me at all if there were several shades of deep green over the long life of the NN.

Olive (not Mustard!): I've never seen or heard of a NN in this color, but it was a popular shade during the NN's heyday - as witness the original Savanna Green Safari.

Anyway, I hope that there's something useful here. Emendations and suggestions are more than welcome!

Cheers,

Jon

Edited by Univer