EFNIR: Colorverse Ham #65 Glistening

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Colorverse Ham #65 Glistening

This is review #218 in my series. Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: Cleaning was simple with plain water, but you may need extra flushes to fully remove the glitter from your feed.  This glitter-type doesn't really like EF nibs, or the total glitter-load is low. Despite seeing glitter in the feed, It's hard to find it on paper. It seems to need super-wet flow before the glitter really shows up.

Zoomed in photo (The camera seems to have ignored the green lean. I corrected a little, but it's still not right.)
large.ColorverseHam65GlisteningZ.jpg.12ed03ca6e0c20ecaaf3580afcac7766.jpg

Screenshot (A bit too blue / lacking green.)
large.ColorverseHam65Glistening.jpg.08dc3900ac567f68be292b45449ed1db.jpg

Scan of Completed Review (Pretty close.)
large.ColorverseHam65GlisteningS.jpg.9e0bdf396856271d294fa933aabe20c4.jpg

Absorbent Paper Close-up (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper) (Both: Too blue, not quite dark enough.)
large.ColorverseHam65GlisteningAP.jpg.d76a11240eeb29e524bf1a67c1e9e0f5.jpg

Line width (One of the lines used for dry time. Magnification is 100x. The grid is 100x100µm. The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each. The line width for this ink is roughly 330µm. With 218 inks measured, the average line width is 295µm.)
large.ColorverseHam65GlisteningLW.jpg.48fd42cc0a56aca37caac20cc3ed8c2b.jpg

Microscope image (100x. Taken with cellphone through eyepiece. The ink itself is boring, but I wanted you to see the glitter - some are red, some not (don't know if that's a trick of light or what).)
large.ColorverseHam65GlisteningSmear.jpg.efcb65b343ac8a993a1e7ed0bb8355e1.jpg

Previous Review: Platinum Pigment Blue.

Images also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap.

Want to influence the inky sequence? Take the "next ink" poll.

View a list of my inks, complete with review results in a google sheet.

Need to catch up on The Adventures of Quin and Makhabesh? Find the whole story here.

Hope you enjoy. Comments appreciated!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• Paul-in-SF

• Sailor Kenshin

• yazeh

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks as always, @LizEF.  

I'm not sure how I feel about Colorverse inks…I had one or two samples.  This one?  Color family, thumbs up.  Glitter?  Two big thumbs down.  Eternal Dry Time?  Ran outta thumbs.

The micro image looks like either someone's unfortunate linoleum choice, or a living room floor after a wild party.

But now the story….love it.  👍🏻 💝 🥂

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

33 minutes ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

Thanks as always, @LizEF.  

You're most welcome! :)

I'm not sure how I feel about Colorverse inks…I had one or two samples.  This one?  Color family, thumbs up.  Glitter?  Two big thumbs down.  Eternal Dry Time?  Ran outta thumbs.

:lol:  As I mentioned in that other place, look to the zoom and absorbent paper for correct color (if your computer is like my new one).  If your computer is like my old one, where this was processed, (namely, it shows too much blue), then the scan may be correct, otherwise, it's too green!  And yes, the screenshot is lacking in color! :(

The micro image looks like either someone's unfortunate linoleum choice, or a living room floor after a wild party.

Ah, the 1970s... :D

But now the story….love it.  👍🏻 💝 🥂

:D Thank you!

Great review as usual @LizEF :thumbup:

I loved the "unknown" quote. Evocative and thought provoking!

I was trying to decide, which Ham was eluding to, an amateur radio operator, an excessively theatrical actor or son of Noah to name a few. The possibilities of word play are endless..... ;)

As for the ink, flossing for an eternity and @Sailor Kenshin apt descriptions said it all :D

Thanks for the review.

Ham is pink*.  And doesn't glitter.  This one is an easy no go for me.  Though I do like Colorverse's 5ml bottles and the tiny boxes they come in.  Might have a few sitting on a shelf somewhere...

*maybe this is Dr. Seuss' version, to be paired with green eggs.

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

Great review as usual @LizEF :thumbup:

:) Thanks!

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

I loved the "unknown" quote. Evocative and thought provoking!

Every now and then, I find a good one - it's getting hard to find good, short ones, though!

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

I was trying to decide, which Ham was eluding to, an amateur radio operator, an excessively theatrical actor or son of Noah to name a few. The possibilities of word play are endless..... ;)

:D  Ham #65 was a chimp, shot into space by NASA, to learn how humans would fare when they were shot into space.

1 hour ago, yazeh said:

As for the ink, flossing for an eternity and @Sailor Kenshin apt descriptions said it all :D

:lol:  Yeah, this glitter is not for any but a gushing EF.

1 hour ago, I-am-not-really-here said:

Thanks for the review.

:) You're very welcome!

Ham is pink*.  And doesn't glitter.

:lol:

This one is an easy no go for me.

:D  I'll take the ink over the meat, thanks!  (Ham, the one meat that makes me sick at the first bite.)

Though I do like Colorverse's 5ml bottles and the tiny boxes they come in.  Might have a few sitting on a shelf somewhere...

:D  Yes, their bottles are fabulous, and the little ones are so cuuuuute. :lol:

Thank you, @LizEF for the review!

What a nice teal ink - would be my "bulls eye" without glitter. Oh, Extreme Deep Field exists and is the same teal without glitter! ;) 

Makhabesh is my new hero!

Will we see an unboxing story? Looking forward to see which pens things the boxes contain! 😇

One life!

4 hours ago, InesF said:

Thank you, @LizEF for the review!

:) You are most welcome!

4 hours ago, InesF said:

What a nice teal ink - would be my "bulls eye" without glitter. Oh, Extreme Deep Field exists and is the same teal without glitter! ;) 

There is a version without glitter - I have the two bottle set, the little one has glitter.  I don't know if the non-glitter comes outside the set.  Personally, if I didn't have enough inks in this shade, I'd get Rohrer & Klingner Verdigris - it has that je ne sais quoi thing going for it. :D  I may end up getting a bottle of it anyway.

4 hours ago, InesF said:

Makhabesh is my new hero!

:lol:

4 hours ago, InesF said:

Will we see an unboxing story? Looking forward to see which pens things the boxes contain! 😇

:lol:  Tune in next week - though the content shouldn't be a surprise.

1 hour ago, JungleJim said:

This ink so reminds me of J. Herbin Emeraude du Chivor.

Only because my pictures render it too green.  In reality, EdC is clearly more green than Ham #65.  FWIW.

I've looked at a lot of these reviews (and, not incidentally, thanks for doing them) and I always mean to ask: how do you do the title in the ink color, the one that appears under the video? 

I expect you covered this around review #2 in your series, but I just want to find out without doing all the work of searching for the answer. 

2 hours ago, Paul-in-SF said:

I've looked at a lot of these reviews (and, not incidentally, thanks for doing them)

:) Thank you, and you're welcome!

2 hours ago, Paul-in-SF said:

and I always mean to ask: how do you do the title in the ink color, the one that appears under the video? 

I doubt I've ever explained it.  I added them later on, as video thumbnails - made long after the fact (looks like late October 2021 is when I made all the old ones.  I make them as follows:

1. Load the video in VLC Media Player.  Move to the point where I'm writing the "E" in "EF" (for the older videos, before my current format, I moved to a similar point).
  2. Take a screen capture (VLC has that built in - very convenient).
  3. Use GIMP to do any color correction.  (Technically, I could use GIMP for all the below, but I'm rather new to it and it's faster & easier for me to do it in the app I'm familiar with.)
  4. Load that in Paint Shop Pro.
  5. Resize it to 1280 x 720 (max recommended size for YT thumbnails)
  6. Paste a pre-sized white "bar" at the bottom at coordinates 0, 545 (yes, I have this all memorized by now) :D  There are other ways to do this, but I found this easiest - I just paste in a graphic that's the size I want and position it.
  7. Zoom in on the swatch card and pick up the darkest color as foreground and the lightest color as background, with the background set as a gradient (this results in a gradient with the lighter color on top and darker on the bottom - there are options in the app for how the gradient is "arranged").
  8. Add text using a font named "Felt".  This results in an outline in the dark foreground color and a "fill" of the gradient background color.  I create it as a vector, so it's basically its own floating layer.
  9. Position the layer vertically, then use a tool to center it horizontally.
  10. Save, which flattens the layers (jpgs don't support layers)

The end. :)   Happy to answer questions, if you have any.

PS: Every once in a while, when I can't get the photo to match the color my eyes see, after "picking up" the color from the photo, I use the app's color-selector to change the color to something closer to what my eyes see.  I don't do it often, but when color correction just will not work, I cheat. :D

ETA: Oh, and in one, I manually added glitter - won't be doing that again. :lol:

Wow, thank you, that is brilliant, and sounds like a lot of work. But I have noticed that the color in that title always seems closest to what you describe in the comments, and now I know why. Another reason I love this place. 

51 minutes ago, Paul-in-SF said:

sounds like a lot of work.

I broke it down into all the steps, so it looks like a lot, but it's actually really easy, and fast (except, sometimes, the color correction - that can be a bear, and is sometimes impossible).  :)

52 minutes ago, Paul-in-SF said:

But I have noticed that the color in that title always seems closest to what you describe in the comments, and now I know why.

:D

I saw Snek mentioned recently. I wish I remembered to copy the link. I thought of Efnir immediately. 

Posted Image

4 hours ago, Misfit said:

I saw Snek mentioned recently. I wish I remembered to copy the link. I thought of Efnir immediately. 

:D