Duofold Junior with offset nib :-(

Pesky Pisky

Hello from a damp, mizzly Cornwall!

I wondered if I may bother you for some advice. I recently found my mother's Parker Duofold, which I think is a Junior, owing to its size and barrel shape. Unfortunately, the cap is not with it (though she keeps everything so likely to be somewhere!). I've cleaned it out using some very helpful instructions on the forum and it's running clear and the aerometric filler is in good shape, albeit slightly stained but ink would still be visible inside.

However, the big issue is that the nib is misaligned (see pics below). Is this something I can do? I'm adept with replacing nibs in my modern pens but this is something much more delicate and I really don't want to mess it up!

Any tips would be very welcomed.

Many thanks,

Lowenna

PS. Edited to attached JPGs not HEICs *doh*

IMG_0701 Medium.jpeg

IMG_0702 Medium.jpeg

IMG_0704 Medium.jpeg

Edited by Pesky Pisky

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pesky Pisky

• dipper

• shalitha33

• hari317

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have eight of these, in dank drizzly Norfolk.

(1950's to early 1960's, UK made, Parker Duofold Aerometric, made in various sizes.)

In my experience the task is not especially delicate. It is either fairly simple, or nearly impossible! That will depend on how the plastic pen grip section/feed fit tightness has changed over the 60+ years since its manufacture.

If you can pull the nib and feed, this is what you will see....

large.IMG_20230131_221006-01.jpeg.a2746b9a3aa64c27435ffa4d6cf9feb3.jpeg

(This example is a "Standard" size, identified by number 25 engraved on the nib.)

The feed is a plain circular cross-section ebonite rod, with ink feed channels and side slits cut, and a hole drilled in its back end.

The "breather tube" is a push fit in the back-end hole of the feed.

The big hole in the plastic grip section has plain smooth walls going back to an internal step shoulder. That shoulder stops the feed being pushed in beyond that point (at 16.7mm deep inside from the opening, in this example).

So this should be a straightforward job.

We have a round peg, in a round hole, with the slim nib shank gripped between the two.

Just pull out the nib and feed, check the breather tube is secure, lay the nib onto the feed, and push back into the grip section.... but..... but.....

Perhaps it really was that easy when the pen was new?

60 years later it is likely that the polystyrene plastic grip section has distorted. It may even have shrunk slightly, gripping the feed and nib super-tight.

At the very least, the "round feed in a round hole" idea is no longer true. The grip section has been stressed by the nib being gripped in there, at one side of the hole, for 60 years. My Duofold grip sections often show a slight oval distortion in the grip section hole.

So it is worth trying a controlled attempt to pull out the feed and nib.

Do not pull hard.

Adjust your grip to avoid stressing the side fins of the ebonite feed. They can snap off! (Some UK Duofold feeds have thicker robust side fins. Your "Junior" has moderately thick fins. My example pictured above is from 1954 with very delicate fragile narrow fins.)

If the nib and feed do come out with a moderate pull, and perhaps a gentle wiggle, then all is well.

Reassemble, with the correct nib/feed alignment.

And check for any oval distortion that may be seen or felt in the grip section. If oval distortion is present then you will feel the correct orientation to line up the nib by rotatating nib and feed together as they are being eased into the grip section.

On the other hand...

If the feed/nib do not come out with moderate force then you do face a tricky problem.

My attempts at applying gentle heat to free stuck Duofold feeds have been ineffective, or in one case the grip section overheated and softened and is now unuseable.

My feeds that have eventually come free with excessive force then present similar difficulties getting the nib and feed to go back in without jamming when part-way-in.

based on the pic it may be possible to wiggle the nib in to match the position of the feed. you might not even need to pull it out. If its stuck or too tight, best NOT to put too much pressure (there is a risk of snapping and braking the feed). run a bit of water through it to soften any dry ink that may be there first. Although since you have already cleaned it out this may not be needed.

it can be realigned to the centre of the feed by a firm but controlled push on the nib side using your thumbnail.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thank you very much for your replies but sadly it looks like it might be stuck fast. Without the cap, I'm not sure it's worth doing much more with it and have given it back to my mother to keep for sentimental reasons.

All is not lost though as she gave me her boxed and unused "51" instead plus a rather beautiful twist-action front loading pencil.

Thank you, once again!

IMG_0706 Small.jpeg

12 hours ago, Pesky Pisky said:

All is not lost though as she gave me her boxed and unused "51" instead

That is a fantastic gift!

Makes me happy to just see the photo of your beautiful 51 in its box.

12 hours ago, shalitha33 said:

Congrats :) 

Your parker 51 still got the chalk marks  :)

13 hours ago, dipper said:

That is a fantastic gift!

Makes me happy to just see the photo of your beautiful 51 in its box.

I can't play with it yet as it's going to be next month's birthday present.  Can. Not. Wait.