Safest brand for vintage pens

rsgonner

Hi,

Just restored my father-in-laws vintage Parker Duofold button-filler.  Any recommendations on safest ink to use?  Herbin and J Herbin have been recommended.  Will avoid any shimmer or sheen, but would like a nice shading ink to show off the nib's powers.

Russ Gonnering

Elm Grove, WI

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yazeh

• dipper

• arcfide

• es9

Top Posters In This Topic

Using the SEARCH function often yields discussions on topics relevant to one’s question.  I ran a search for Safest Inks, which turned up 8 threads on the topic.  Here is a link to one:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/134721-safest-ink-for-vintage-pens/

You may want to search for Shading Inks separately and cross check the inks with safest brands.  Have fun!

I use Parker Quink in all of my older Parkers, mostly blue, washable or permanent. Black can sometimes clog. Waterman inks are safe in pretty much any pen. Diamine  and Herbin are safe as long as it’s not a shimmery or sheeny ink. Avoid anything super saturated.

Top 5 of 23 currently inked pens:

Namiki Origami Tradition maki-e Penguin F, Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku

Sailor X Sakazaki Penguin Pro Gear Slim MF, Sailor Manyo Konagi

Lamy 2000 EF, Diamine Purple Bow

Platinum Hibiscus SF short-long, Platinum Green

Indigo Bronze TWSBI Eco 1.1 Stub, De Atramentis Columbia Blue-Copper 

always looking for penguin fountain pens and stationery 

Why the concerns about "Sheen"?

"Shimmer" or "Sparkles" imply glittery particles in the ink.

"Pigmented" absolutely means solid particles in the ink.

But "Sheen" can be seen in purely dye-based inks. Caused by how the dissolved dyes crystallize or solidify when the water content evaporates away. The formation of a glossy surface (sheen) does not imply that the dried solid material is waterproof or is water soluble. It could be either one.

My most sheeny ink is Waterman Intense Black. That is a purely dye based ink. It rinses out of fountain pens very easily, because any dried ink deposits are very quickly dissolved.

I  use inks that are easy to clean. I avoid pink or red. They are the most difficult inks to clean.  Unlike others I often use IG inks in my vintage pens. I have also used a few of Noodler's bulletproof inks. There are a few that clean easily :)

20 hours ago, dipper said:

Inks intentionally designed to exhibit sheen during normal writing usually have a higher concentration of dye and surfactants to keep that dye flowing. There has been some speculation that such high saturation/concentration is one of the causes of early sac and pen degradation, particularly for older pen materials. 

This is one of the other theories around sac failures and pen degradation, along with concerns around ink pH. 

On 1/29/2023 at 7:53 PM, arcfide said:

There has been some speculation that such high saturation/concentration is one of the causes of early sac and pen degradation

Ah, I see.

So the sheen issue is a matter of degree.

I have not read of any concerns about Waterman Intense Black, but then it does have only slight sheen.

2 hours ago, dipper said:

Ah, I see.

So the sheen issue is a matter of degree.

I have not read of any concerns about Waterman Intense Black, but then it does have only slight sheen.

Yeah, I wouldn't consider Waterman Intense Black in the category of "Sheening" inks, but more like inks that are part of the new wave of Sheen-intentional inks, maybe like Organics Studio Nitrogen. 

On 1/28/2023 at 4:58 PM, dipper said:

"Shimmer" or "Sparkles" imply glittery particles in the ink.

"Pigmented" absolutely means solid particles in the ink.

But "Sheen" can be seen in purely dye-based inks. Caused by how the dissolved dyes crystallize or solidify when the water content evaporates away. The formation of a glossy surface (sheen) does not imply that the dried solid material is waterproof or is water soluble. It could be either one.

My most sheeny ink is Waterman Intense Black. That is a purely dye based ink. It rinses out of fountain pens very easily, because any dried ink deposits are very quickly dissolved.

Lately I’ve been seeing some kind of crazy sheen on Mnemosyne paper from a fine wet 51 nib with Serenity Blue. 

I say “crazy” but it’s more like what I see with Penman on some other papers. Mnemosyne doesn’t coax out sheen quite like Tomoe River, but it’s a good paper to see it. 

With that said, there are made to sheen inks like Penman inks. There are then super sheeners like OS Nitrogen or Diamine Skull and Roses. I’d not put one of those in a 51 because it would be a pain to clean out. I once made the mistake of putting Lamy dark lilac in a 51 Vac, and finally said forget it and took the front end of the pen apart. The hood Ave collector are great at keeping the nib from drying out, but if an ink like they crystallizes in the collector, good luck without dropping it in the ultrasonic 

This article should tell you what you need to know. 

For whatever it’s worth, the safest ink I know of is Waterman Serenity Blue, but I usually use a dark blue or gray shade of Diamine. 

On 1/29/2023 at 7:52 AM, yazeh said:

I  use inks that are easy to clean. I avoid pink or red. They are the most difficult inks to clean.  Unlike others I often use IG inks in my vintage pens. I have also used a few of Noodler's bulletproof inks. There are a few that clean easily :)

would you mind saying which Noodler's bulletproof inks are easy to clean?  considering w/ a lever filler (not vintage).  

2 hours ago, dftr said:

would you mind saying which Noodler's bulletproof inks are easy to clean?  considering w/ a lever filler (not vintage).  

I have to look through my reviews. I have noticed that most Noodler's inks with fluorescent capacity are very easy to clean.  Though I don't know, what will be the long term effect :) Mostly Russian series that are a tad more expensive. 

General of the Armies, Akhmatova, Chekhov, Esenin. 

Avoid, Polar inks for fancy pens, they stain. 

Avoid in general pink/red/ purple inks. There's always exception to the rule. Ironically Esenin a red ink, was very easy ro clean. Strip Red, and Herbin Rose Cyclamen would takes days of soaking to clean ;) 

@dftr one point, if your point is not well sealed and you don't use it regularly, there's no point in filling it with bulletproof inks. However, if you use it regularly, no problem.  :)

Waterman Serenity Blue.

I never own this ink, nor am I a pen restorer, or own any vintage pen.  But I've surfed the online fountain worlds for long enough, to know that I can recommend this ink when someone asks "the safest ink for vintage pen".  It just have such reputation.  Its like the opposite end of Baystate Blue.