M805 Sterling Silver Trim. Any info?

Lam1

Hi all,

I saw a M805 Black with Sterling Silver trim - the cap ring is engraved 925.

Has anyone heard of Pelikan ever making such a pen? Maybe a prototype or small production model?

(It was conjectured that it could be a small production model made for Regina Martini...)

It occurs to me that it could be the product of someone mistakenly putting a M910 cap in it. So, I'd like to check.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lam1

• Bo Bo Olson

• jungkind

• carola

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe the Majesty was built on a M600 chassis, so that cap would not fit.

Also, I forgot to add, this comes from a serious collector through a serious seller. So, I take the possibility 

that is a legitimate pen (not frankenpen) seriously.

Does anybody know if the M910 also says "Toledo" in the cap trim? (I could not find good photos online) If it does, it would eliminate that possibility and likely make it a legit Pelikan production.

1 hour ago, jungkind said:

The Gaudi capring is marked Ag925

That´s true. And it is the only black M805 cap with Sterling Silver trim I can think of. 🤔

The Gaudi cap also has a serial number on its crown ring XXXX / 1000.

Thank you, @jungkind.

Although unlikely, it is always a possibility that someone mishandled these pens and mixed the caps. 

I still haven't found any reference to a simply black M805 with a sterling silver cap ring/trim.

Thank you, Carola. I believe the M910 also is sterling, isn't it?

I have asked the seller about other markings.

43 minutes ago, Lam1 said:

Thank you, Carola. I believe the M910 also is sterling, isn't it?

I have asked about other markings.

Oh, yes, you have a point there. Same size as the M800s...

The M910 Toledo is only marked 925, as far as I know, not Ag925 like the Spirit of Gaudi. And I have only seen cap rings that say "Pelikan 925 Germany", the gap before and after 925 being so big there wouldn´t be any space for "Toledo".

(Funny thing though, the cap ring of the golden M900 says "Pelikan Ag925 Germany".)

And the Toledo is no limited edition, so there would be no number on the cap.

My guess is (if no further markings turn up) that what you have there is an M805 pen with an M910 Toledo cap.

- You are right, the "Toledo" has the 925 without Ag

- I don't think that any "Toledo" was ever marked as such on the capring or elsewhere

- the 925 marking on the M900 cap is there, because the base material is Silver (Vermeil, gold plating on silver)

@carola and @jungkind, thank you both for the info.

The markings are just as Carola describes for the M910. My guess also is a mismatched cap, which I suspected from the beginning, except if some documentation emerges (I asked the seller about it. By the way, I didn’t buy the pen yet).

Jungkind, my M900 does have Toledo on the cap (pic below. Sorry the horrible photo, but it does the job 😁). But it is a newer version, circa 2021. It also has the Ag925.6788EB75-55F5-4012-ABC0-FB1F6406C82D.thumb.jpeg.907b3c49c2bc22c463d4bcb90d5afc38.jpeg

11 hours ago, jungkind said:

- the 925 marking on the M900 cap is there, because the base material is Silver (Vermeil, gold plating on silver)

I know. I was pointing to the difference of the M910 being marked "925" and the M900 "Ag925". You would think that with two versions of the same model, there would be more consistency in the markings. 🤷‍♀️ Same goes for the existent/inexistent "Toledo" markings of course.

Personally I own only one Toledo, an M700 from around 1990. There is no space for whatever engravings on those narrow cap rings.

925 sterling silver, Hunter Toledo ('94)

Have asked Applebloom for permission. I take horrible pictures ...or have them...Pelikan-M800-Hunting-3.jpg

The picture of the live lot auction I won with the Hunter.

DaYPoQV.jpg

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I didn't even know what a Hunter was when I won it at a live auction. It was 'just' an odd Toledo....but I so wanted it and the springy nibbed W.Germany 800..............the rest of those fine pens in the picture were 'just there'.

Some fine poster on the com told me exactly what I'd lucked into with the Hunter.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

12 hours ago, Lam1 said:

I can't afford it. So, for me, it doesn't exist

My 500 Pelikan was one of them.

The money for my grail pen a Sonnecken 100, Extra, herringbone, burnt though my pocket so I got 5-6 Pelikans and a Pelikan ink stand. 7Dxvslb.jpg

Unfortunately that 500 has a eyeballed* OBBB, and a legal 15 letter name takes 2/3rds-3/4ths a page. Maxi-semi-flex, 30 degree grind............pure signature, and me with nothing needing signing. sigh cubed.

*The rolled gold piston cap covers any body marking of the era, and Pelikan didn't start marking nibs until late '54 and 55. I do have enough OBB's to see the difference.

• 3 weeks later...

In my Hunter is a 915, If, when and if, I ever get a regular Toledo, it would be a 700 in I prefer the standard size....used of course.