Montblanc LeGrand Ceramic Prisma - opinion

23109VC

I am looking for a nice 146 to buy as a forever fountain pen to use professionally. I’d like something nice that stands out but is not too flamboyant.  I think the standard Meisterstuck pens look very elegant and classic.  I have a got something other than the standard black and gold I would want to get something in black or silver possibly dark blue.  

price is not my main consideration.  I would prefer to buy new versus used.

I had originally thought I would just get a standard black / gold 146. But saw some of the solitaire models which have metal bodies - they look more upscale than the “precious resin” models.  Many of those models are made for a few years and then they are discontinued.  I saw one model called an ultra black, which I thought looked really cool. It was plastic, but it had a weathered textured appearance instead of the glossy resin color with rhodium highlights that’s discontinued, and the only ones I can find our used and they are way over priced in my opinion.  

i found a new in the box  146 in ceramic prisma.  It looks really nice-  platinum barrel, ceramic cap.

im wondering if a pen with this finish would last longer and be more resistant to scratches compared to the plastic pens.

this one was discontinued several years ago but they have one at a local Mont Blanc dealer.  New in box.  

anything I should know about this pen I am unaware of?  Any input?  

my first impression is that it is very elegant looking and the materials appear more high-quality and I also think it might wear better overtime. Plus it looks a little bit more unique and will stand out compared to your average black and gold 146.  I thought I would check here and see what the experts think. If there’s anything about this pen, I am unaware of or that I should know before I would consider buying.

i think retail was $1600-1800… because it’s leftover stock. I believe I can negotiate a significant discount and get it for anywhere from 1000 to 1200.  As I said earlier, that’s a lot of money to spend on a fountain pen, but this is something I’ll use daily at work and I want something that looks upscale and elegant. 

50D5FAE9-2CD4-4D70-A0BC-869401FCC439.png

7BBA72BF-30AA-4506-AB55-BD69D1CCF00C.png

Edited by 23109VC

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 23109VC

• ajoe

• Mercian

• Paul-in-SF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The other Solitaire I am considering is the Blue Hour.  I think it is equally elegant but in a different way.  I cant’ get that at a discount, so that woudl be full blown retail… OUCH…

any input on whether there is any advantage to the ceramic prisma vs a blue hour?  Or is it all personal preference?

thanks.

It is purely my convective nature when it come to pens, but I would see the Blue Hour as something I would enjoy more over the long term. However the ceramic has a more unique character.

In the end it is an entirely personal choice.

“ I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”  Alan Greenspan

Which Blue Hour are you considering? The all blue one, or the Doue with the shiny silver cap? 

Of the choices (either of the Blue Hours, or the black ceramic) I personally favor the black ceramic -- it is unusual to have a ceramic-clad cap, and I like that although the barrel is metal the section is not. It's a tiny difference in preference, though, and I would happily accept either as a present. 

The nibs on the two pens are quite different if that is a consideration.

“ I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”  Alan Greenspan

20 minutes ago, Paul-in-SF said:

Which Blue Hour are you considering? The all blue one, or the Doue with the shiny silver cap? 

Of the choices (either of the Blue Hours, or the black ceramic) I personally favor the black ceramic -- it is unusual to have a ceramic-clad cap, and I like that although the barrel is metal the section is not. It's a tiny difference in preference, though, and I would happily accept either as a present. 

If I got the blue hour I would get the all blue one.. it has a textured lacquered finish… it looks almost like it glimmers ‘ sparkles in the light…. I have to see it in person but in high res photos it looks like a darker blue..but the facets catch the light like a diamond.

The ceramic one also has texture in the cap, but it is a more shiny glossy finish, not faceted.  I think they both look really nice in very different ways.  The blue hour is slightly more bling b/c of how it would sparkle. The ceramic prisma just looks classy in platinum and dark black ceramic.

I can likely get the ceramic pen for $400-500 less.. which is a consideration.  I like them both..but not sure which I would like the most.

yes the nibs are different.. the BH has a white gold nib all one color.  The CP has a two tone 18k nib.  They both look elegant.  I was wondering if one would be more durable over time?  I wasnt’ sure if the platinum plated finish of the CP would scratch up a nd dull over time….  Or maybe the facets in the BH would get dull and it would not look as nice.

both pens will be in my pocket and on my desk.. used at work mostly - and will be gently used…unlikely I’d drop or terribly scratch either unless some freak accident.  

I’m assuming each pen woudl write similarly if they each had a M nib…. Or woudl they write very differently?

Any other suggestions?  Is one more “unique” than the other?  I tend ot think the ceramic one is more unique..it’s discontinued.. .whereas the BH is still in retail stores.

27 minutes ago, Paul-in-SF said:

Good point!  I JUST noticed that.. the ceramic prisma has a plastic section on the grip with an ink window.  The blue hour is all metal..so you’ll never really know how much ink you have left. I can see how the ink window is a nice feature..so you refill when needed vs run out unexpectedly mid writing….  Thanks for that observations!  

So I made the drive to go look at the ceramic prisoner at the local Mont Blanc outlet.  They have the pen in a fine nib and a medium nib

The pen has never been inked. I was able to hold it rub the net on the paper, but not ink it.  They had the all resin UNICEF 146, which I also looked at and compared to weight the barrels of each person or similar but the cap on the ceramic pan is significantly heavier. When you can have the pen up, it’s noticeably heavier than an old resin pen, but not so heavy that it’s objectionable.

The only thing I could think of when looking at it that I thought was a potential negative is that the shiny barrel appeared to be a fingerprint magnet you would constantly be rubbing it in cleaning this every time you handled it to write something you get fingerprints all over it

The rock bottom price was 1325

I thought it was very pretty but at the same time I didn’t have this overwhelming impulsive urge to buy it so I am going to think about it. If in a couple of days I’m still wanting it I can always go back. I don’t think the pen is going anywhere anytime soon.  The next time I’m at the other neighborhood I’m going to check out the actual boutique and look at an old resin pen and also look at the blue hour solitaire.

I appreciate everyone’s thoughts and comments. This is kind of a large purchase on a completely frivolous unnecessary items, but I want some kind of showpiece pen.  I know it is somewhat vein, and some would say a waste of money in my line of work. I think it would be a nice item to have in my pocket or on my desk.

One thing I liked about the ceramic cap is as you moved it. The light reflected off all the facets in the cap, and it had an almost jewelry like appearance, not over the top bling bling, but nice looking

• 1 month later...

I personally don't find this pen "elegant" as you put it. Interesting, no doubt. Also it will be a little heavy and in my experience heavy pens are not good for work, they weigh you pockets too much.

I'd rather get a Pelikan m1005 Stresseman..that's what I would call Elegant. Or if you really want a MB just stick with the plain 149.

Here's my take on using a fountain pen at work, as I do use one every day.  Don't bring a $1000 pen to work for everyday use!  The wear and tear from constant use, especially if you are with clients, will take a toll on the pen.  Then, there is the risk of accidents (such as dropping the pen), loss or theft.

I actually bring far less expensive pens, but ones that I have tuned to know that they will write reliably at all times, and not hard start, blob, tear the page, etc.

My current work pen is a Ranga 3 Indian ebonite pen with a gold 14 K FPR nib, and a Conklin ballpoint.  I do have a Tibaldi Bonania, and an ST Dupont Line D in their pen sleeves which I bring with me in my briefcase, in case I want a little variety while I'm sitting by my desk.

When I have a new pen, and I'm testing it out, I will bring it out to work with me for one or two days to test its reliability in a busy work setting.  In this way, I've brought my MB 146, and MB 149, and other high end pens to work.

If anyone wants to borrow your pen, hang onto the cap with your non-dominant hand.  The pen is far less likely to walk away if the cap is not there to prevent ink from soiling someone's clothes from the exposed nib.

Here's my issues with metal pens:

1) fingerprint magnet

2) may be slippery.

3) risks of dents and scratches.

4) weight

Very hard materials such as platinum plated metal, or ceramic may initially be appealing as it is scratch resistant.  However, they are not scratch proof.

Once there is a scratch, it is very hard to polish out on a hard surface.  I learned this the hard way with a Rado watch, which has a ceramic body advertised as super scratch resistant.  It eventually got scratched.  A plastic or ebonite bodied pen is easily polished to give a like new shiny gleam again.

I understand that in some industries, such as high end retailing, or financial services, a high end pen is part of the marketing image.

In that case, I suggest that you purchase a used Montblanc 146, and polish it to like new, and use that at work.  If you want a MB limited edition, keep it at home.

17 hours ago, MidSouthern-Dad said:

In that case, I suggest that you purchase a used Montblanc 146, and polish it to like new, and use that at work.  If you want a MB limited edition, keep it at home.

I second this idea!

Of Montblanc’s current ‘regular’ range, I’d recommend that you look at a 146 (or even a 149) in black resin with platinum trim. IMO it looks slightly ‘classier’ than either the yellow gold trim or the rose-gold trim. YMMV 😉

Some ‘left-field’ suggestions:

You might also have a look at Pelikan Souverän M80x (or M100x) pens.

They are another ‘luxury’ pen that is over-engineered and totally reliable, and is ‘slightly different’ than the more-famous/more-easily-recognised Montblanc pens.

They are available in a range of colours and finishes, some with gold trim, and some with rhodium trim.
They too are German piston-fillers, and they are user-serviceable (unlike Montblancs).

They have beautiful-looking, user-exchangeable 18k gold nib units. Some nibs are partially-Rhodium-plated to give a two-tone effect, others are entirely Rhodium-plated.

If you are looking for a ‘workhorse’ pen that is a bit different, the Lamy 2000 in black Makrolon (tough polycarbonate) is a ‘design classic’.

It’s another totally over-engineered German piston filler. It has a (platinum-plated) 14k gold nib and is user-serviceable.

Is it eye-catching? Not at all. But its milled body is certainly no fingerprint-magnet, and it is far less-likely to show any scratches that develop.
And those who do recognise it/know what it is will respect your choice.

Good luck 👍

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

Other ’different’ options:

I’m a Brit, so am keen to promote British brands.

If you have the money to buy LE Montblancs, you also have the money to buy either of the following options.

For ‘classy’-but-not-‘blingy’ pens, you could have a look through the offerings from Onoto.

They make their pens with c/c fillers, but many can be built with their own ‘plunger-filler’ system if you want a pen that has a high-capacity integrated filling-mechanism.

They do also make some ‘blingy’ pens if your tastes veer in that direction.

They are another ‘luxury’ option that is a bit ‘different’ from the ‘standard’ Montblancs, they offer no. 7 and no. 8 nibs, and they will grind a nib to whatever your own specifications are.

If this sort of thing interests you, Winston Churchill was known to use Onoto pens.

If you want to buy a ‘statement pen’ for your desk, and which you only intend to use for signing documents or making a few quick notes (as opposed to lengthy sessions of handwriting), you might consider English luxury brand Yard-o-Led.

Their pens and pencils are made from solid sterling silver, so they are heavy.
Their gold nibs are nickel-plated, to match the colour of the pens’ silver bodies.

For impossible-to-miss, eye-catching ostentation, I would recommend the ‘Viceroy Grand’ model, in the hand-chased ‘Victorian’ finish. Or one of the less-large models in that finish.

For a less ostentatious (but still eye-catching) luxury pen, you could buy one of the models in the ‘Barley’ finish.

They are c/c-only pens, but they are certainly ‘upscale’, and (IMO) they convey ‘old-money’ elegance.

The British government ought (again, IMO) to have some of these pens to use when signing treaties.

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png