Review: Sailor 1911L Demonstrator GT

Le.Pen.Supremo

Hello there! Here's my review of the Sailor 1911L Demonstrator with a Zoom nib! 

Introduction: 

I wasn't always into Sailor pens. I got my first Sailor pen, a black and rhodium Progear over a year ago. I didn't really cared for the precise feedback of the B nib that I had on that pen. I was really into broad, glassy smooth writers like Pelikans and it was only until recently that I began to appreciate Sailor nibs (especially their Naginata Togi)! Considering the fact that Sailor are raising their prices to ridiculous amounts, I just had to have one asap. I chose the Zoom nib as I think it's the closest to the NTs. Once it arrived (two days before 2023) and got to write with it, I knew I was in for a treat! With that said, on with the review! 

- Price 7/10
This pen is worth USD 256 (converter included) from where I got this. It’s a bit more expensive than the ones with regular EF-B nibs. Considering Sailor pens are much more expensive in other places (especially in the US) I can’t really argue with that.

- Packaging: 9/10
The pen came with a standard Sailor blue box, but with the new branding. Nothing breathtaking here.

- Build Quality: 8/10
I have good experiences of the PMMA resin that Sailor uses for their Large fountain pens. With this demonstrator resin however, I feel it’s a bit lighter than the opaque ones. Maybe it’s psychological because I could see through it? But other than that, everything feels well-built! 

- Design: 10/10
I chose the demonstrator version as I think it’s the most unique looking in their regular production series. The gold trims add a look of luxury without making it boring, compared if the combination is black with gold trims. 

- Cap: 9/10
Very nice. The clip is solid but easy to operate. The pen takes 1 ½ turns to open which is quite less than my regular progear. The cap band is also quite different from the regular ones, and I think it looks very nice! Because this is a demonstrator, you could see the inner cap, which is semi-translucent. I wish it was clear like the rest of the pen, but I’m sure Sailor has their reasons for that. 

- Filling Mechanism: 8/10
This pen, like most Sailor pens, is a CC filler. There’s a huge debate on this matter but Sailor converters are well built in my experience. However with the zoom nib that this pen has, it goes through ink like there’s no tomorrow. I’m good with Sailor converters, but I believe they should make another one with a higher ink capacity for nibs like the zoom. 

- The Writing Experience/Nib: 9/10

This has a 21kt monotone gold nib. My experience on Sailor nibs are wonderful! I would agree with most folks that with a Sailor, you pay for the nib, which is phenomenal! This zoom nib is smooth but not overly smooth. It has a dull-pencil-like feedback which is good for my tastes. 
I inked this pen with Diamine Ancient Copper ever since I got this, and the flow and wetness is I would say moderate. I prefer things to be on the wetter side but I could see that the feed flows very well. I would say that it’s the ink as Ancient Copper leans on the dry side. 

Speaking more on the Zoom properties, it really does work! On the 90 degree angle, it's a good western fine. At about 60 degrees, it’s a western broad. And finally, when used 45 degrees and below, it’s a good double broad. It took quite a bit of practice to use it more practically. I typically use this on the 45 degree angle which works for me personally. That angle might be too wide for most people so try before you buy. I would also take note that the Zoom nib doesn’t work well on TRP which is rather unusual. My specific zoom nib also doesn't perform well when used in reverse writing. Again, the rather dry ink might the cause. 

The nib also has a bit of give to it which I love about their 21kt nibs! It’s worlds apart compared to Jowo steel nibs that I’m not too crazy about. But take note that this is not a flex nib, and shouldn’t be used as such. This nib also has the new nib design which sparked controversy in the pen community. Personally, I like the new design better than I expected! It’s more minimalist looking which I associate with Japanese pens. It also now looks way different from MB nibs which is good thing. 

- Comfort: 10/10
This pen is very comfortable! The ergonomics are similar with the PG, so I was sure that the pen would be good for me. The pen posts well and is actually more comfortable to hold that way but I don’t want to add wear on the barrel so I rarely post this pen. I don’t really mind having marks on my black PG, but I do care about the demonstrator so yeah. 

- Weight and Measurements

The pen is a tad longer than a Lamy Safari and a wee shorter compared to a Montblanc 146. The Sailor 1911 unposted (inked with converter) is noticeably lighter than a MB 146 unposted with a brass piston mechanism. 

- Others: 
On the finial and end area, you could see the glue used on assembling the pen. I don’t mind that personally as it shows that this pen was assembled by hand, which I always appreciate. Another note is the gold trim. I’m very hesitant about gold trims as I have had bad experiences with my Platinum 3776 Century, which the gold plating worn off in just three months. But so far, I haven’t heard of recent reports of Sailor gold platings wearing off abnormally. Because this is the new design, I could be assured that this is a new production pen. I would be very upset if the gold would wear off like my 3776 but fortunately, it is still pristine. I don’t store it in leather cases just to be safe. It is also worth noting that the zoom nib is not an equal match for the Naginata Togi nibs imo. The latter is much broader with more of an architect nature and are considerably wetter.

- Overall 9/10
The Sailor 1911L Demonstrator offers a lot of good features to me personally. I purchased this mainly for the Zoom nib and I found that it’s good mainly for special uses, not for everyday writing (unless you write huge, don't mind refilling more often and have an abundant access and finance for good paper). It's velvety smooth with good line variation. The looks do it good for me, and I’m not even a demonstrator fan. If you’re in the hobby for quite some time and would like a unique writing experience, I strongly recommend Sailor pens! They have very good build quality with amazing nibs for a decent price. As for the design, I would personally look towards the more unique special editions. Overall, this is a good pen from my favorite Japanese brand!

Sailor 1911L 1.jpg

Sailor 1911L 2.jpg

Sailor 1911L 3.jpg

Sailor 1911L 4.jpg

Sailor 1911L 5.jpg

Sailor 1911L 6.jpg

Sailor 1911L 7.jpg

Sailor 1911L 8.jpg

Sailor 1911L 9.jpg

Sailor 1911L 10.jpg

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• donnweinberg

• Le.Pen.Supremo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you, Le.Pen.Supremo, for your review of this pen.  I was unaware of a "Zoom" nib before reading your review.  I gather from the photos and your description that the working parts of the nib have different widths at the different angles with which you write on the paper.  Nice job.