Brownish/burgundy ink for vintage pen?

essayfaire

I have a new vintage Mentmore.  It is a burgundyish/brownish marble pattern.  I would like to ink it with something in the burgundy brown family, and I'm not a big fan of watery-looking inks(I know, then I should stay away from vintage, but the vintage are lovely writers and better values at this point).  Has anyone had any luck with inks in this family that they have used in vintage pens for more than one or two fills, without incident?  I have many brown around the home and I know my Yama-budo will be a no-no, though it would be aesthetically a good match.  But form follows function...

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• essayfaire

• 51ISH

• amberleadavis

• Mercian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If these are traditional pens that can handle acidic inks more than alkaline inks because of sacs or the like (I don't know anything about the specific model), the lavender/brown/red IG inks might be quite usable for you, and while they will shade quite a bit, they may darken to something you like well enough. I think Platinum and KWZ both have some in this category. I know the Platinum inks mix well if you want to get a color more to your liking. 

Otherwise, I might look at some of the dark reds from Diamine, too, though I don't know much about them. 

1 hour ago, Carguy said:

Diamine Writers Blood should suit your needs. I use it in vintage pens with no issue, it is a very wet ink.

I may have a sample of this somewhere...

Festina lente

It seems views vary on "safety" of inks, (I found an interesting thread here a little while ago) - Sailor do claim their inks are safe and whilst I am fairly careful with cleaning and flushing, I haven't had a problem with the ink I am going to suggest, washes out well too - Sailor Ink Studio 973 - amongst such a massive set of inks in this range, perhaps by luck I managed to find this wonderful colour, a really orangey / brown, perhaps almost brick red sometimes. Quite a distinctive colour while not being too flashy for regular use and I think fits your description of colour quite well.

i have used without trouble

Montblanc Burgundy

Montblanc Bordeaux

Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses may also be worth looking at as it may fit the bill

Troublemaker inks Doña Victorina

and many more (like Parker Penman Ruby), but they are no longer available that I know (I finally settled for the ones above)...

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

On 1/16/2023 at 9:47 AM, txomsy said:

Troublemaker inks Doña Victorina

This is ironic. 

Has anyone tried Graf von Faber-Castell Cognac or Hazelnut brown?  They are supposedly indelible, which while not IG, may make them somewhat similar.

Festina lente

Okay, this is the dip test.  I think I want to fill... Paper is Bienfang

large.IMG_2952.JPG.392bc6778d681a36be809428ef2121fa.JPGlarge.IMG_2953.jpg.870d6a05954a41a42500614a8067ee39.jpg

Festina lente

hmm....  The old FPN GMB would be a great choice, but it is currently unobtainium.  I will have to look through some old pictures.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

spacer.png

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Richard Binder did a mix of Sheaffer Red and Waterman Purple to make a Burgundy. Certainly safe for your pen if you happen to have both inks on hand.

An example is posted here   FPN discussion here

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I have GVFC Cognac, and think it would not match your pen well. It would match the lighter highlights possibly. I’ll try to post a photo of it that is in a Pelikan Classic Cognac pen. 

large.06809259-A939-4626-9CDE-4750D6EE8C98.jpeg.242010c2f01f28e25dea119b2bd20a95.jpeg

Posted Image

My suggestion is a good look at Diamine Shirah.
I like the elegant, earthy color and the performance.
Best Regards

For a safe brown it's hard to beat Waterman Absolute Brown. I've used it quite a bit in Vacumatics and lever fillers.

Organic Studios Oscar's Copper is sort of between burgundy and brown. It's part of their "Vintage" series inks specifically intended to be safe in older pens(Vacumatics in particular).

The first ink that came to mind for me was Mont Blanc Bordeaux, probably because I have a vintage bottle of it that I don't use and will never use. I keep forgetting to buy a glass bottle to decant the ink so I can repurpose the bottle for an ink I actually like. Don't get me wrong, the Bordeaux is a perfectly cromulent ink, it's just not my color. I only bought it because it was on clearance at Paradise Pen ages and ages ago, probably about 15-20 years ago, now.

Paige Paigen

Gemma Seymour, Founder & Designer, Paige Paigen

Daily use pens & ink: TWSBI ECO-T EF, TWSBI ECO 1.1 mm stub italic, Mrs. Stewart's Concentrated Liquid Bluing

On 1/24/2023 at 1:55 AM, OCArt said:

Richard Binder did a mix of Sheaffer Red and Waterman Purple to make a Burgundy. Certainly safe for your pen if you happen to have both inks on hand.

People on these forums always want to turn me into a mixologist.  I had so many injuries in chemistry class, I try to stay away from combining substances!

On 1/25/2023 at 5:55 PM, Carguy said:

You may try Diamine Cherry Sunburst also very brownish burgundy to me.

I have this one!  I will try it next.

On 1/25/2023 at 5:19 PM, Horseflesh said:

It's not burgundy brown, but Diamine Tobacco Burst has a nice vintage look. 

I think if I buy some of that I have a pen it would pair nicely with!

@MisfitI think you are right, it wouldn't be a great match. @SwitalaI may have a sample of that one around.

8 hours ago, bunnspecial said:

For a safe brown it's hard to beat Waterman Absolute Brown.

I know, I know, it's safe and fine, but I like a little- more- color.

@amperI will add that to the sample list!

Thank you everyone for weighing in.  This is a great list of inks for me to try with this pen! 

Festina lente

• 1 month later...
On 1/24/2023 at 12:55 AM, OCArt said:

I like Binder's Burgundy and have mixed up small batches to use on occasion.   Unfortunately Sheaffer Skrip Red is discontinued and the current Sheaffer Inferno doesn't look the same from samples I've seen.  Any suggestions for a replacement for Skrip Red in this mix?