Pilot 912 FA Nib

tzinc

I like Pilot Medium nibs but also okay with fine. I was thinking about getting an FA nib. Would it work as an ordinary nib with a fast writer? I am not interested in calligraphy or fancy writing just like a thin line (usually I reverse) option to use once in a while when I write for smaller special notes.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tzinc

• Josey

• Lithium466

• A Smug Dill

It works great as an ordinary writer but the line it lays down (for me, at least), is between Japanese medium and bold. If you write with a very light hand you may get a fine-medium line.

I would say I get a fine when used for quick 'scribble'. But I have a very light hand - so light that I have to really think about it to get variation from anything other than the most flexible of flex nibs.

I have added the FNF ebonite feed because I couldn't get enough flow with the standard version. Again, that may be to do with too light a hand.

56 minutes ago, tzinc said:

Yeah I don't want to have to buy something extra to be able to use the pen.

I haven’t had any flow problems with my 912 FA (or 742 FA). From what I hear flow is mostly just an issue if you want to do s lot of flex writing with the nib.

Flow may also be an issue if you are not sensitive enough when using the pen, I find. At least my 4 FA nibs required some getting used to in terms of (not) rotating it. I have also witnessed multiple times at pen meet-ups that different people yield vastly different results due to their individual writing angles. I even had pens with FA nibs sent to me with the error description "it just doesn't write" when everything was working fine for me.

FA nib is notorious for hard starts for normal writing.  Aftermarket 3 slit feed helps, but doesn't resolve completely.  Pilot Falcon Elabo or metal Falcon will be a better reliable writer for normal writing with a soft nib capable of some light line variation.

Given my writing style I guess I don't really care about fancy looking writing (with thick and thin interspersed within words), but I do like having a thick line and thin line option for when I need to add tiny notes on my page full of thicker (medium) writing. I have been using reverse writing for this but it doesn't work with all pens.

I probably should have gone with another nib if there are going to be hard starts and railroading issues. I got a good deal price-wise but if I have to buy something aftermarket there goes the good deal.

Well my favourite inks so far are Pilot Blue Black and Pilot Iroshizuku inks (Tsuki Yo, Yamma Budo, Shin Kai) so that is good news!

I’ll note that the FA nib is much softer than the Falcon’s nib. Personally I find writing with them to be very different experiences. 

Real trepidation awaiting the arrival of this Pilot 912 with FA nib... maybe I will get one of the good ones and have no problems with it. Fingers crossed. A number of people have said they have not had problems EVEN without getting a new feed and by just using Iroshizuku ink which I will certainly use.

9 minutes ago, tzinc said:

this Pilot 912 with FA nib... maybe I will get one of the good ones and have no problems with it. Fingers crossed.

I hope so.

I'd be most interested to know whether it will allow you to do your “fast” writing and squeeze more of the type of output you want out of it (that you aren't getting from your other pens), without your having to adjust your expectations or make compromises (e.g. by slowing down) consciously in its use.

(Edited to add, for the sake of clarity: I truly hope you get a good and representative example of the high quality Pilot Custom Heritage 912, against which to test your expectations, as opposed to getting a bad unit that fails to satisfy on account of its quality being below par for the product.)

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

3 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

I hope so.

I'd be most interested to know whether it will allow you to do your “fast” writing and squeeze more of the type of output you want out of it (that you aren't getting from your other pens), without your having to adjust your expectations or make compromises (e.g. by slowing down) consciously in its use.

(Edited to add, for the sake of clarity: I truly hope you get a good and representative example of the high quality Pilot Custom Heritage 912, against which to test your expectations, as opposed to getting a bad unit that fails to satisfy on account of its quality being below par for the product.)

I don't mind slowing down a TINY bit or using a SLIGHTLER lighter touch (maybe just write a bit bigger) but not so it's interfering with the flow of my thoughts being put on paper. If might try to sell the pen (after reading all the reports on it) but if I can't I will definitely let everyone know how it turned out lol.

1 hour ago, tzinc said:

I don't mind slowing down a TINY bit or using a SLIGHTLER lighter touch (maybe just write a bit bigger) but not so it's interfering with the flow of my thoughts being put on paper. If might try to sell the pen (after reading all the reports on it) but if I can't I will definitely let everyone know how it turned out lol.

Personally, I write cursive and I can write just as fast with the FA nib as with any other pen. My only issue with the FA nib is that it writes a bit broader than I generally like because it’s very juicy and the tines spread easily. 

My 912/742 FAs are my favorite pens to write with :) I find their bounciness to be fun!

I actually like broader like a medium I generally do reverse for some smaller writing when I need it (it only works with some pens) I do have a fine nib on one pen... for when I have to do a lot of finer/smaller writing.

I must have had great luck with my 912 FA, it writes smoothly and nicely without skipping or hard starts, and the thinnest line it's able to produce is thin enough for my liking (I'd say it's similar to a Lamy Z55 EF, as I don't have Japanese equivalents to compare to).

It also takes any ink I throw at it without difficulties, including some shimmering inks I used when I was writing Christmas cards. I have some Pelikan 4001 royal blue ink that I didn't try yet, but I will when the 912 comes back in rotation (right now I'm in a Sailor spree)!

Disclaimer, I don't have much interest in flex and really don't push the nib.

I hope you'll get a nice working (for what you do with it) 912 FA.

The Pilot FA nib features in this hands-on comparison of ten ""flex"" nibs, including also the Pilot Falcon EF.

(And at long last Drew Brown of Goulet Pens gives us a truly scientific and rigorous flex-rating-system.)

Update: It arrived and it's working fine for normal writing. Interesting first Pilot with some feedback but it is slight and feedback doesn't bother me anyway. I am not flexing. I tried a bit just to see and it seemed fine but I am not a flexer. If I make a series of rapid downstrokes maybe the 10th one will come up dry but I don't write like that lol.

Looks like i got a great pen. Thanks for the feedback.

it is fine, provided you do not have extremely heavy handed hand. I own both a 912 and a 823 FA. The nib writes between a Japanese f and fm pilot nib. I have only used Iroshizuko inks.