Double spiral notebooks

ibrahim

Could you share with me about your favorite ideas for notebooks 5x8 that are double spiral? I want to use them for brain dump journaling, random thoughts, etc. I don’t see much of that at Target, Walmart, Staples, etc. I’m familiar with muji notebooks and I love them. What else is there? I just happen to appreciate attractive notebooks that are both wieldy and double spiral. 

"I am human, and I think nothing human is alien to me." Terence

I share the humanity of people, I’m like the rest of everybody and certainly I’m not better or higher than anybody in anything, regardless of what they believe in or don’t believe in. What they experience is certainly not alien to me. I’m part of all people and they are part of me, interbeing, that is.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ibrahim

• LizEF

• TitoThePencilPimp

• PithyProlix

Maruman Mnemosyne have a few A5 double-spiral options, in both portrait or landscape. Good paper, microperforated pages.

What have you done with the cat? It looks half dead.

~ Schrödinger's wife

• Rhodia
  • Maruman Mnemosyne
  • Black n' Red

At the big box stores, look for something made in Vietnam - don't know if they have twin-wire notebooks made in Vietnam, but if they do, there's a good chance the paper is FP-friendly.

1 hour ago, jandrew said:

Maruman Mnemosyne have a few A5 double-spiral options, in both portrait or landscape. Good paper, microperforated pages.

Thank you so much for your helpful reply. I’m afraid I don’t know the difference between portrait and landscape in notebooks. Could you please explain more giving examples? Thank you so much. 
You don’t find Maruman Mnemosyne expensive? I have some notebooks but I’m timid in using the paper for every day writing. I don’t waste away such nice paper on regular scribbles and sadly it ends up not being used. 

I share the humanity of people, I’m like the rest of everybody and certainly I’m not better or higher than anybody in anything, regardless of what they believe in or don’t believe in. What they experience is certainly not alien to me. I’m part of all people and they are part of me, interbeing, that is.

1 hour ago, LizEF said:
  • Rhodia
  • Maruman Mnemosyne
  • Black n' Red

At the big box stores, look for something made in Vietnam - don't know if they have twin-wire notebooks made in Vietnam, but if they do, there's a good chance the paper is FP-friendly.

Thank you so much for your your very helpful reply. 
where can I buy such lovely notebooks at a good price?

You can actually get Rhodia in double spiral? Could you please give me a link?

I have a bunch of Black n’ Red notebooks but for some strange reason the paper felt waxy when I used my fountain pens. 

I’m quite pleased with notebooks made in Vietnam and, indeed, it’s fountain pen friendly, for such cheap notebooks and that is impressive!

The best prices I've seen on Rhodia are from Lemur Ink (for example).  For Maruman, JetPens probably has the best prices.  Black n' Red are cheapest on Amazon, but you have to watch the prices because they fluctuate wildly.

That said, if you don't like Black n' Red, I doubt you'd like any of those three papers - they're all quite slick.

The only other thing I can think of are Kokuyo twin ring notebooks, but I fear you won't like the surface of this paper either.

12 minutes ago, LizEF said:

The best prices I've seen on Rhodia are from Lemur Ink (for example).  For Maruman, JetPens probably has the best prices.  Black n' Red are cheapest on Amazon, but you have to watch the prices because they fluctuate wildly.

That said, if you don't like Black n' Red, I doubt you'd like any of those three papers - they're all quite slick.

The only other thing I can think of are Kokuyo twin ring notebooks, but I fear you won't like the surface of this paper either.

Absolutely brilliant! You have been more than helpful. I can’t thank you enough. I’m definitely bookmarking this. I’m thrilled to see that jet pens has Kokuyo twin ring notebooks and each notebook has 50 sheets. Thank you very much, Liz. 

1 hour ago, ibrahim said:

Absolutely brilliant! You have been more than helpful. I can’t thank you enough. I’m definitely bookmarking this. I’m thrilled to see that jet pens has Kokuyo twin ring notebooks and each notebook has 50 sheets. Thank you very much, Liz. 

You're very welcome!  Hope you're able to find a paper you enjoy. :)

2 hours ago, TitoThePencilPimp said:

you can Rhodia in bulk from appelboom. very competitive pricing.

And from Cult Pens, but you'd have to buy an awful lot to get free shipping - and without free shipping, Lemur Ink (and even the other, more well-known US sites) have better prices.

50 minutes ago, LizEF said:

And from Cult Pens, but you'd have to buy an awful lot to get free shipping - and without free shipping, Lemur Ink (and even the other, more well-known US sites) have better prices.

I believe shipping is cheaper from Appelboom than at cult pens.  No. Appelboom is typically cheaper than Cultpens, and well known US dealers, when it comes to Rhodia paper. I purchase about $200 worth of Rhodia a year (bulk), and always look for the best deal. The selection is however small. I am too lazy to list comparison prices, but have a look for yourself. 

Obviously if you purchase one or two notebooks, then its cheaper going with US seller. Purchase 10 or more, and the cost of shipping is negligble compared to what you saved.

37 minutes ago, TitoThePencilPimp said:

I believe shipping is cheaper from Appelboom than at cult pens.  No. Appelboom is typically cheaper than Cultpens, and well known US dealers, when it comes to Rhodia paper. I purchase about $200 worth of Rhodia a year (bulk), and always look for the best deal. The selection is however small. I am too lazy to list comparison prices, but have a look for yourself. 

Obviously if you purchase one or two notebooks, then its cheaper going with US seller. Purchase 10 or more, and the cost of shipping is negligble compared to what you saved.

Thank you!

On 1/16/2023 at 8:42 AM, TitoThePencilPimp said:

you can Rhodia in bulk from appelboom. very competitive pricing.

it’s a lovely suggestion, except that I don’t live in Europe and I guess I would have to pay customs to get notebooks shipped to Raleigh NC. 

3 hours ago, ibrahim said:

it’s a lovely suggestion, except that I don’t live in Europe and I guess I would have to pay customs to get notebooks shipped to Raleigh NC. 

you do not pay customs with orders under $800.

19 hours ago, WalterC said:

Boston's Bromfield Pen Shop is now Appelboom. If they will ship from Boston, shipping might be cheap and their prices for Rhodia are very good. https://appelboom.com/index.php?route=product/search&search=rhodia

Also, sometimes Michaels (arts and craft store) has Rhodia on sale, but I think appelbooms prices are better.

Thank you very much, Walter. Valuable information indeed and I will make note of it and proclaim such blessed news on Reddit. 

On 1/14/2023 at 1:44 AM, ibrahim said:

I’m afraid I don’t know the difference between portrait and landscape in notebooks

The names come from the traditional orientations of portrait and landscape pictures/photographs.

An image, sheet of paper, or notebook that is described as ‘portrait’ has its short edges at its top and bottom, and its long edges at its left and right sides.
If it is a piece of lined paper, it will have many lines, which will be short lines that are parallel to the top and bottom of the page.

An image, sheet of paper, or notebook that is described as ‘landscape’ has its long edges at its top and bottom, and its short edges at its left and right sides. If it is a piece of lined paper, it will have fewer lines, and they will be long lines that are parallel to the top and bottom of the page.

A notebook that looks like 📝 is ‘portrait’. So are smartphones 📱  

A notebook that looks more like a credit card - 💳 - or a flag - 🇬🇧 - is ‘landscape’.
So are computer screens 🖥️ 

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

Are these double-ring spirals meant to be refillable?  If so, then the million-holes Kokuyo paper I bought now begins to make sense.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

• 2 months later...

I just started using a Midori reporter's notepad - double spiral on top so it doesn't get in the way of your hand - that came with a 3rd party Japanese cover. I like it a lot. It's called a Grain notepad but I don't know know how easily found or how expensive they are in the US. There are other Midori double spiral notepads that are smaller but, again you'll need to check fir availability and pricing. Midori paper is a bit different from the other choices you have been given. 

Some copy shops have double spiral binding machines so there's always the option to make notebooks with your preferred paper cut to your preferred notebook size. 

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens